Has Montreal found its Marchand in Domi?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I read Domi's name as Drouin for some reason and got really confused and surprised.

I need to go to bed.. it's midnight and my mind is obviously weird. Drouin the new Marchand :laugh:

Reactions: Fixxer

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I read Domi's name as Drouin for some reason and got really confused and surprised.

I need to go to bed.. it's midnight and my mind is obviously weird. Drouin the new Marchand :laugh:

... they both have french last names and are LW?

That's the most I can do. ;)

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Domi will be his own beast how dare he be compared to that rat faced gremlin Marchand!!!! by the way Domi would rearrange Marchand’s face if they fought which Marchand would most likely be reluctant to!!!

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't really follow. Domi is a first round pick, 12th overall, his dad was an NHL player which is also an achievement. His junior numbers were also impressive.
Marchand was a 3rd round pick, with no family playing in the NHL. If anything Marchand had the limited pedigree and has done very well.

Yeah but how Marchand got to where is now is obviously very rare. In the history of the game there are way more players with comparable backround with Domi that never make it to Marchand’s level. Chances are it won’t happen. That’s my point. I don’t think Marchand himself thought he’d end up this good years ago.

Just like we can’t expect every undrafted player getting their first taste of NHL action in their mid 20’s turn into the next Martin St. louis

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
to answer the op:

Not really. They both have elite skills and the character of a 4th line player.But Max has the character of Tie Domi while Marchand has the character of Maxime Lapierre.

not quite the same thing

Reactions: drs151

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Marchand is a pest
Domi is legit tough

That’s the major difference
Marchand is more skilled but at the same age it was pretty close.
Love both players, both great for the game in my opinion. Don’t really get all the hate Marchand gets. This is hockey no? Everyone thinks he’s so dirty. 15 years ago this guy would have been just another guy. Guess this is 2018 nhl tho now. I’m not complaining the game is very skilled right now but I miss the old nhl everytime the media/fans blow up about nothing

Reactions: Kunta Kinte

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Yeah but how Marchand got to where is now is obviously very rare. In the history of the game there are way more players with comparable backround with Domi that never make it to Marchand’s level. Chances are it won’t happen. That’s my point. I don’t think Marchand himself thought he’d end up this good years ago.

Just like we can’t expect every undrafted player getting their first taste of NHL action in their mid 20’s turn into the next Martin St. louis
Being undrafted and being a 3rd rounder who played for team Canada at the world juniors is hardly the same thing. St Louis' rise is far more remarkable than Marchands.

I almost feel like you don't know Domi's background and are making assumptions based on his father. Domi was a scoring machine in junior and a top line player in the world juniors. He gave every indication of being a great NHL prospect. Maybe he got a little off track in that dumpster fire of a club in Arizona but I think he was underachieving. He's putting up good numbers in Montreal, under Julien...that has to mean something.

Also, 50 point guys becoming 85 point guys for a couple seasons has happened many times before. It's called peaking. It's early still but Marchand is outside the top 50 in scoring atm and less than a point a game. That being said, he's still great and on a great line on a good team, so it is bound to improve. I'm just saying that good players often have a few great seasons in them.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He has talent and plays with an edge. Likes to trash-talk (as confirmed by Marc Denis, in between team's benches on tonight's game against OTT). Never expected him to be so fast, so creative and for Drouin to follow the lead.
Add Shaw to that. lol - I've seen Drouin looked like he was trash-talking tonight as well, so I can't imagine how bad it must get when these 3 play together. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad