Has Bobby Ryan redeemed himself?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No, his contract is still too much dead weight for a player that has shown to be susceptible to downspells. You need to be getting a consistent star for 7.25M.

Im not going to sit here and defend his cap hit, he makes too much money for what he brings.

And yeah, he can be streaky, just like any offensive player in the league.

But he's never had below 0.65 PPG in a season before this year obviously. So looking at the big picture, he's actually been very consistent production-wise.

Every player has their peak and down years. Ryan's peak year was 71 points with the Ducks, and this was his first actual down year. Year where the Sens brought in a completely new type of coach, and year where he's dealt with some injuries here and there. Big playoffs is just what he needed to redeem himself. It's just one year.

Still going to be exposed for the expansion draft?

Highly doubt it. He seems to like Ottawa and wants to perform well. Sens need skill in their lineup, and especially after a big playoff you don't want to give up those kind of guys.

Virtually every team has one or two bad contracts, for the Sens Ryan and Phaneuf are overpaid, but we're talking about like 4-5M and both guys are still good players. Things could be a lot worse, and as long as they manage their cap situation well moving forward, i don't see a reason why they should be looking to get rid of them.

Besides, if they expose Ryan, Vegas would pick him 100%. Good amount of salary retained and they get valuable assets in a trade. Or keep him as a top 6 forward - not too many guys like that lying around exposed in the ED.

Sens have a chance to bring the same group back next year - group that at least made the ECF. I doubt they want big changes.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The way he's going you have to think Vegas would likely pick him up if exposed: they are likely to focus on assembling the best D possible and Ryan would likely be amongst the best wingers they could hope to land.

He's a bit overpaid and the contract is long but that is a small price to pay to land a top 6 forward for "free".

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ryan had a rough year.

Birth of his first kid. Death of his mom. Multiple broken hand issues. He's had trouble the past few years being healthy by years end. prior to this year he put up first line numbers, not elite, but definitely first line numbers.

Sure his contract is high. Show me anyone that signed a big UFA deal that is living up to the numbers. And the numbers available vary from year to year. He was lucky to cash in when he did.

But if he's gone....then what? Anyone watching these playoffs that doesn't think Ryan can still bring it really doesn't get hockey. Sens have 9 wins. Ryan has 3 game winners and 2 assists on game winners. How do you replace that? Certainly not with someone internally cause the team has too many soft players. he's the only guy that can play hard physical hockey with skill on the team.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Sens are out in round one (maybe two) without him. He sure as hell redeemed the down season with the solid playoff performance. He is lucky his team got him to the playoffs to perform when it really mattered. In the end, winning the cup is all that counts and the Sens are more than half way there now. I'm happy for him.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Methot has proven to be phenomenally important for Ottawa. If Ottawa exposes Ryan, it may save Methot, or vice versa.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
As a Sens fan all I can say at this point is that all is forgiven for the regular season.

If we were a cap team, he would be a problem, but we aren't. As long as Bobby can keep playing like a top line forward, I will never have an issue with his contract.

And best of all, I have confidence that he can be the guy when all the chips are down on the table.

He's been notorious for starting strong, and finishing soft, so it's very relieving to know that he's one of the guys we can count on to be big for us in these kind of games.

Aren't we close to a cap team with burrows extended and MacArthur back?

I seem to remember having 7-8 million in cap space without them...MacArthur @ 5 and burrows at 2.5 uses up all that space. We'll probably drop Neil and Kelly and replace them with someone internally, but I don't think were expected to have more than a couple million in cap space. Plus who knows, maybe this playoff run makes melnyk want to pay 2-3 million on a decent ufa to put us up near the cap.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

I seem to remember having 7-8 million in cap space without them...MacArthur @ 5 and burrows at 2.5 uses up all that space. We'll probably drop Neil and Kelly and replace them with someone internally, but I don't think were expected to have more than a couple million in cap space. Plus who knows, maybe this playoff run makes melnyk want to pay 2-3 million on a decent ufa to put us up near the cap.

8M in cap space right now for next year, with Wingels, Stalberg, Neil, Kelly, Pyatt and Condon being UFA's, Pageau, Dzingel and Jokipakka RFA's.

And whoever Vegas picks in the ED and/or if the cap goes up, will free up some more cap space.

So yeah i'd say ~3M in the end is fairly accurate.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

If cap goes up to 75mil (up 2mil from this year), we're going to have 10mil space to resign Wingels, Pageau, Dzingle, Pyatt, Stalberg and Condon. This is assuming we don't resign Neil, Kelly, and Jokkipakka.

Pageau alone deserves a good 2 million at least. Condon another 2 million. Dzingle probable goes for about 1 million. Pyatt ~1mil and we might not resign Stalberg and Wingels. Gives us room for callups and to resign Stone/Turris the year after.

Hopefully some guys take security over big money. Like Condon for 1.5 mil over 3 years. Pageau for 2.5 mil over 4-5 years.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If cap goes up to 75mil (up 2mil from this year), we're going to have 10mil space to resign Wingels, Pageau, Dzingle, Pyatt, Stalberg and Condon. This is assuming we don't resign Neil, Kelly, and Jokkipakka.

Pageau alone deserves a good 2 million at least. Condon another 2 million. Dzingle probable goes for about 1 million. Pyatt ~1mil and we might not resign Stalberg and Wingels. Gives us room for callups and to resign Stone/Turris the year after.

Hopefully some guys take security over big money. Like Condon for 1.5 mil over 3 years. Pageau for 2.5 mil over 4-5 years.

I wouldn't put money on Melnyk spending to the cap even with the long playoff run.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
His mom died this summer and he had injuries. He is a great guy and I am very happy to see him delIver.

Rather have Bobby than Max P.

Right now, sure.

But MaxPac scores a lot more and is paid almost 3 million less.

If we were a cap team, he would be a problem, but we aren't. As long as Bobby can keep playing like a top line forward, I will never have an issue with his contract.

He's arguably still a problem when the best he has managed is 56 points, which is not what you want for 7.250 million.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Methot has proven to be phenomenally important for Ottawa. If Ottawa exposes Ryan, it may save Methot, or vice versa.

If we lose Methot we have Phaneuf, Claesson, Boro, Harpur, Englund, Sieloff, Chabot + prospects available.

If we lose Ryan, who plays his minutes? Our only other natural RW is Stone. Our prospects are years away.

I suppose would could try Hoffman on his offside. Having MacArthur back gives us options, but I don't see as many options for Ottawa if they lose Ryan.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa has almost as much cap room as anyone in the league. As far as cap space goes, if Methot is lost, they'll have a cap hit of approximately 66.75M with the following roster:

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Hoff - Pageau - Stone
Smith - Brass - Burrows
Dzingel -White - DiDominico

Phaneuf - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci
Chabot - Wideman
Borowiecki

Anderson
Condon

Pageau at 3.25M X 4, Condon at 1x1.25, and Dzingel at 1X1.25

They'll be about 10M above the cap floor and 9.25 below the limit if it ends up at 76M. Right in the middle.

If Methot doesn't get picked, and it ends up being Dzingel, that costs an additional 3.65M and Ottawa will trade Borowiecki for a bag of pucks. saving an additional 1.1M for a warm body at forward.

Whichever way you look at it, Ottawa had cap room out the ass.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ottawa has almost as much cap room as anyone in the league. As far as cap space goes, if Methot is lost, they'll have a cap hit of approximately 66.75M with the following roster:

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Hoff - Pageau - Stone
Smith - Brass - Burrows
Dzingel -White - DiDominico

Phaneuf - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci
Chabot - Wideman
Borowiecki

Pageau at 3.25M X 4, Condon at 1x1.25, and Dzingel at 1X1.25

I hope if we give Pageau that much term that he goes under 3mil. I see Chabot getting some season in the AHL while we keep 7 D with Harpur, Claesson, Boro and Wideman rotating. Also hard to imagine not at least one of Stalberg/Wingels coming back. (Looking at the Didomenico spot)

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I've never doubted him. He's still overpaid by 1-1.5m per, but I would take him in a heartbeat if the Sens leave him exposed. There won't be a better forward available and most of all he's a real likable person, which would help growing the game here. Would 100% be my 1st Knights jersey.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I hope if we give Pageau that much term that he goes under 3mil. I see Chabot getting some season in the AHL while we keep 7 D with Harpur, Claesson, Boro and Wideman rotating. Also hard to imagine not at least one of Stalberg/Wingels coming back. (Looking at the Didomenico spot)

Oh, for sure. I just tried to keep it simple by not including UFAs and being generous with the RFA contracts to show a "filled out" roster as much as practicable.

Ultimately, I think we end up around 70-71M in cap, 72-73MM next season. We probably won't open the purse strings for any UFAs because of Turris, Stone, and Karlsson, but who knows.

Condon's contract length will be very intriguing.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Oh, for sure. I just tried to keep it simple by not including UFAs and being generous with the RFA contracts to show a "filled out" roster as much as practicable.

Ultimately, I think we end up around 70-71M in cap, 72-73MM next season. We probably won't open the purse strings for any UFAs because of Turris, Stone, and Karlsson, but who knows.

Condon's contract length will be very intriguing.

For sure. The one nice thing is that neither Stalberg or Wingels probably want more than 1 year to prove they're worth more than they are right now. Wingels had back to back sub 20 pt seasons, and as did Stalberg. Could sign and flip if the team doesn't work out next year for some mid-round picks, and the one year doesn't tie us down. Kind of scary to think we have to resign Karlsson, Turris, Stone, and Ceci in the enxt two years. Each is going to garner more than 5mil per.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
He's finally looked noticeable on the ice. I agree that this season was an outlier in terms of stats; however, that being said I think it's in Ottawa's best interest to expose him in the draft. I doubt Vegas would take him anyway; might as well save a player like Pageau with that room.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I've never doubted him. He's still overpaid by 1-1.5m per, but I would take him in a heartbeat if the Sens leave him exposed. There won't be a better forward available and most of all he's a real likable person, which would help growing the game here. Would 100% be my 1st Knights jersey.

This. People don't seem to consider this. Sure, Ryan would be the highest paid player on Vegas, but he'd also be the best fwd, the biggest name, maybe the best player, maybe the captain.... I think Vegas would take him in a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad