Has Bobby Ryan redeemed himself?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Guy Boucher happened, totally changed the demands on Bobby and made him an inside player.

Ryan had a 1 month mid season injury break where he was bag skated and when he came back his balance and intensity level were on a higher level. It was like starving a dog. He showed flashes here and there to end the season, he had about 3 games after his injury return where he was the best player on the ice and that never happened before in his time in Ottawa.

He's all over it now and he's the final story of the Sens to be written this year. And Ryan's story is a saga, so fitting his will be the final chapter in the Sens season. I was all over him so I'm happy for him, everything he put up with from the fans he is being rewarded by the hockey gods now.

Guy Boucher though has completely changed the story line of Karlsson, Ryan, Phaneuf, MacCarthur and the entire Senators Organization. He is always respectful of his players and Ryan needed that confidence behind him. Even when Ryan was struggling and Boucher was playing him 11 minutes a night in his post game press conferences Boucher would say Ryan is playing great, always had his back.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
If we were a cap team, he would be a problem, but we aren't. As long as Bobby can keep playing like a top line forward, I will never have an issue with his contract.
This makes no sense, his contract isn't front loaded. If anything, that the senators aren't willing to spend up to the cap makes it worse, he's taking up an even bigger % of their total spending.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
He's working his butt off and making sacrifices when needed. He's turning his season around at a great time for the Sens.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think Bobby has had to adapt his game because of all the injuries. He used to be able to wrist the puck through the goalie with his shot and that was his bread and butter.

Now he's hitting, committing to defense and working as a playmaker. He's still scoring goals, but they're all tips and dekes in close.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So far so good.

He wasn't all that great against the Rangers but he was real solid against Boston.

Pitt's depleted blue line is going to be a boon for Bobby.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Yes. IMO, Bobby earned his pay cheque with the playoffs thus far.. although just as quickly as he made us forget the past season, it will all be reversed if he has a quiet 3rd round -- so far so good!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
No.
He is only playing well against average defence corps. You can't expect that all season and all playoffs hereon in, so the contract is still a hindrance. Whatever happens here, Ottawa should expose him to the expansion draft and hope Vegas takes that contract off their hands. Can't get sentimental at any point here.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
This makes no sense, his contract isn't front loaded. If anything, that the senators aren't willing to spend up to the cap makes it worse, he's taking up an even bigger % of their total spending.

I get what you're saying. Since Ottawa is spending 95% of everyone else, they need that much more "value" per dollar, right?

Yes and no.

If Ottawa is not spending 7.25M on Ryan, we're going to spend it on Ryan's replacement. Where else are we going to find a pretty consistent 60 point RW who is 30, who wants to play in Ottawa, costs no assets to acquire, and who presents greater value and potential talent?

We aren't the Rangers, we can't expect to sign UFA's to fix our problems.

Ottawa's "budget" issue is widely overstated. Look at the numbers on capfriendly. Ottawa will probably have a 77M "budget" this season. 8M of that comes from money Ottawa didn't have to pay for guys like Stalberg, Brassard, MacArthur, Burrows, etc.. but it also shows how Ottawa can build an "expensive" roster without actually spending too much.

Further, Melnyk has never been a problem with budgets before the rebuild. The whole issue came up because Melnyk didn't want to spend to the cap limit on a team that wasn't competitive. You can imagine that would change if Ottawa somehow pulls through this series. Melnyk is a fan, first and foremost, and he will definitely spend if it could mean a cup.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Ottawa basically has a choice between protecting two of Smith, Dzingel, Ryan, or MacArthur up front.

I believe Smith is a given. After these playoffs, I would probably choose Ryan. I don't think Mac will get chosen...and as good as Dzingel has been at times, I think White easily replaces him.

This allows Ottawa to retain virtually the same team for next year with possible improvements in White and Chabot.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
No.
He is only playing well against average defence corps. You can't expect that all season and all playoffs hereon in, so the contract is still a hindrance. Whatever happens here, Ottawa should expose him to the expansion draft and hope Vegas takes that contract off their hands. Can't get sentimental at any point here.

giphy.gif

Back to mediocrity next season. Lets expose skill and grit for what actually ?

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, Melnyk's never cheaped out on good players that are willing to stick around.

His budget simply prevents the Senators from making roster changes that bury cost outside of the cap. Retaining salary, sending a big salary to the minors, etc.

Apparently we did give up a draft pick for the NYR to retain some of Brassard's salary, and that's a very cheap move, but the market and the owner seem to be willing to pay actual salary-cap dollars for a team that wins a round in the playoffs.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Back to mediocrity next season.

He's a 30-40+ point at this stage with a huge contract. We can get 40 points from Dzingel, White, Mac etc. It's not worth it. Obviously you take his production now and hope we reach the finals and win them, but after that? You do what's best for the team's purse and salary cap.
This team can't fall into the trap it did in 2007, where we had a franchise player that got underpaid (Alfie) and then were stuck with a declining All-Star and the ever-uncomfortable Spezza, who produced to a good degree.

It's about player churn under the cap. Old assets out, younger assets in, sprinkle with a veteran one or two year contract, move on.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't believe we're talking about turfing a guy right now, a day after he scored the OT winning goal in the ECFs, his second OT GWG of the playoffs.

Let's let the season end first before we throw ourselves right back into the swampy morass of asset management discussion that the Senators board has devolved into.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
He's a 30-40+ point at this stage with a huge contract. We can get 40 points from Dzingel, White, Mac etc. It's not worth it. Obviously you take his production now and hope we reach the finals and win them, but after that? You do what's best for the team's purse and salary cap.
This team can't fall into the trap it did in 2007, where we had a franchise player that got underpaid (Alfie) and then were stuck with a declining All-Star and the ever-uncomfortable Spezza, who produced to a good degree.

It's about player churn under the cap. Old assets out, younger assets in, sprinkle with a veteran one or two year contract, move on.

If you want to play some hockey management simulator, you are 100% right. If you want Sens win a cup in forseeable future you are 100% wrong. IMHO

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm liking what I see from Bobby a lot right now. The contract is high no doubt but Bobby has been rejuvenated and inspired. Exposing him is a gamble option. I don't think Vegas takes on the contract.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
you cant float and do jack squat then suddenly do well for a few weeks and everything is right.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I'm liking what I see from Bobby a lot right now. The contract is high no doubt but Bobby has been rejuvenated and inspired. Exposing him is a gamble option. I don't think Vegas takes on the contract.

Doesn't Vegas need to get to the cap floor? So a couple contracts like Bobby's will be needed?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
you cant float and do jack squat then suddenly do well for a few weeks and everything is right.

as a whole i agree but you have to take injuries into context and ryan was injured a lot during the season

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I would be willing to put good money on Ryan scoring well over 40pts if he remains with Ottawa next season. He broke his finger not once, but twice over the course of this season.

Not to mention the team was adjusting to a very structured system that put more emphasis on defensive play than goal-scoring. There's a reason Ottawa went from 7th overall in GF to 22nd this year... Naturally, that's going to have a significant impact on players' individual point totals.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yes. IMO, Bobby earned his pay cheque with the playoffs thus far.. although just as quickly as he made us forget the past season, it will all be reversed if he has a quiet 3rd round -- so far so good!

Singlehandedly just won us 1 game in the ECF. Well, with Andy's and Pageau's help. Time for EK/Turris/Stone/Hoffman/Brass to steal a couple.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If Ottawa is not spending 7.25M on Ryan, we're going to spend it on Ryan's replacement. Where else are we going to find a pretty consistent 60 point RW who is 30, who wants to play in Ottawa, costs no assets to acquire, and who presents greater value and potential talent?

Consistent 60 point RW? It's been 6 years since he's reached 60 points.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I get what you're saying. Since Ottawa is spending 95% of everyone else, they need that much more "value" per dollar, right?

Yes and no.

We aren't the Rangers, we can't expect to sign UFA's to fix our problems.

Ottawa's "budget" issue is widely overstated. Look at the numbers on capfriendly. Ottawa will probably have a 77M "budget" this season. 8M of that comes from money Ottawa didn't have to pay for guys like Stalberg, Brassard, MacArthur, Burrows, etc.. but it also shows how Ottawa can build an "expensive" roster without actually spending too much.

Further, Melnyk has never been a problem with budgets before the rebuild. The whole issue came up because Melnyk didn't want to spend to the cap limit on a team that wasn't competitive. You can imagine that would change if Ottawa somehow pulls through this series. Melnyk is a fan, first and foremost, and he will definitely spend if it could mean a cup.
It's great that he's doing very well this playoff and hopefully he'll do better next season. I never said anything about getting rid of him, it's very unlikely and would cost Ottawa way too much. However, a bad contract is still a bad contract and my point still stands. For a team that isn't spending anywhere close to the cap in real dollars, paying him 7.25 per season is even worse than it would be for a team that is. There's only 16 forwards being payed that much, even if he turns into this 60 pt forward he'd be nowhere close to a top 16 forward in the NHL, that isn't a good contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad