Has Bobby Ryan redeemed himself?

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
He sure has showed a different side of himself.

And it's not even just the points, the hard hitting, tough in the boards and first to the puck... his play has been great these playoffs!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh he had broken his finger not once but twice ,this season and never really got off to a decent start.Last years output of 56 points is more about where he usually ends up with.

This being said ,i think Ottawa does leave him inprotected.Just because nobody really sees LV taking that contract on :nod:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
25 points in 62 RS games this year.

11 points in 13 playoff games this year.

Still going to be exposed for the expansion draft?

You hear about it all the time. the playoffs bring out unexpected performances in many players. He might have saved his own hide especially if the Sens can somehow win it all.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
3 playoff GWG, 2 in OT. Clutch.

He will still be exposed because no one wants the contract. Let's the sens protect someone else.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
His mom died this summer and he had injuries. He is a great guy and I am very happy to see him delIver.

Rather have Bobby than Max P.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He's just like Kessel. American scorer that made a lot of money in a Canadian market. He was targeted because of that. Kessel being called fat. Ryan and the intensity thing. It's unfair the way they have been treated and portrayed. Kessel gotnhis resemption last year. Ryan os getting his now.

Ringmaster

Oct 8, 2010
Santa Monica California
He's just like Kessel. American scorer that made a lot of money in a Canadian market. He was targeted because of that. Kessel being called fat. Ryan and the intensity thing. It's unfair the way they have been treated and portrayed. Kessel gotnhis resemption last year. Ryan os getting his now.

An American GM said he had no intensity

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It has nothing to do with him being American.

They are probably similar scenarios though in that how Senators fans particularly on these boards evaluate Ryan has always been stacked against him because the Senators paid a steep price to bring him in and then (partially due to the falling Canadian dollar stalling the cap right after he signed...) paid what has turned out to be a massive price to extend him.

There's almost no way Ryan can live up to his contract and acquisition cost. But is he capable of being a good 1st liner? Yes.

As far anyone saying Ottawa doesn't have to protect Ryan....I wouldn't be so sure. 6x6 seems to be the agreed upon market value for players perceived to be first line UFAs in today's NHL. Ryan's cap hit is 1.25M higher than that with 5 years left. Vegas will be STARVING for offensive talent. Prior to this year, Ryan's put up low end first line numbers every season during the regular season and his playoff run this year might have made a lot of people forget about his rough season. If the Sens want to keep Ryan, they probably have to protect him.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
He has learned to spell "intense", even "clutch", but he's always been slow and he's only getting slower. The window for Bobby Ryan to be a star in this league has closed. But he's become a better rounded, more gritty player. And it's worth recognizing. The guy has some fight in him.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I'm glad Ryan is showing up in the playoffs. I'd hate to see him Eberle himself. That regular season was rough. Hes still capable of being a 50-60 point guy. Love the effort on the game winning goal.

At the end of the day, he's probably not worth his contract, but those moments are. He's been a huge part of the playoff run for the Sens, for now that overshadows his contract and regular season.

Ottawa most likely exposes him regardless of how the playoffs finish out, short of winning the cup he's up for grabs to Vegas. Will miss having him in the East, favourite player during his Duck years

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Bobby Ryan proved tonight that he should have been taken #1OA in the 2005 draft. :nod:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
No, his contract is still too much dead weight for a player that has shown to be susceptible to downspells. You need to be getting a consistent star for 7.25M.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
As a Sens fan all I can say at this point is that all is forgiven for the regular season.

If we were a cap team, he would be a problem, but we aren't. As long as Bobby can keep playing like a top line forward, I will never have an issue with his contract.

And best of all, I have confidence that he can be the guy when all the chips are down on the table.

He's been notorious for starting strong, and finishing soft, so it's very relieving to know that he's one of the guys we can count on to be big for us in these kind of games.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
a) did the Sens have someone better to sign?
b) does his contract interfere with the team's plans?
c) he's earning his play every time he helps the owner get another home playoff game.

The Oilers paid 6M per for a UFA that's a physical 2nd line wing. UFA years cost a ton.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's not a bad player, just way overpaid and not nearly as good as he was upon signing that contract.

I don't know, if I'm Dorion and Ottawa management, I just go for it right now and then expose him in the expansion draft. You might be able to trade him with salary retained too. I think they should do what Lombardi refused to do with Richards in 2014 and what Sather did do with his Richards that same year. Just leave him exposed in the expansion draft, rather than an amnesty buyout (not that they have an amnesty option anyway).

If they did pull off a cup win, it makes it an even easier choice.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If they did pull off a cup win, it makes it an even easier choice.

If we were able to manage a Cup win, with the way he's contributing and being a difference-maker, it would make the contract entirely worth it.

I'd trade a bad contract for a Cup every day, all day long.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we were able to manage a Cup win, with the way he's contributing and being a difference-maker, it would make the contract entirely worth it.

I'd trade a bad contract for a Cup every day, all day long.

Even if you win a cup though, the original trade/signing may have been worth it, but I also wouldn't keep him around in the future just because of what he did in the playoffs. That a mistake that I think Dean Lombardi made with Mike Richards.

Just because we've seen playoff runs influence GM's in trading for a player who may not have had much value before a strong playoff run, I can see someone trading for him down the line. You'd still have to probably retain a little bit, because Bobby Ryan isn't nearly a $7.5 (I forget what his cap hit is, it's something like that?) anymore or whatever it is he's getting. I'm thinking the same thing with Fleury right now and I can see Calgary (just a team with a starting goalie vacancy off the top of my head) trading for him, but he had a lot of questions to be answered with his playoff play for much of the past decade and has now put together a pretty good playoff run. That's for a different topic though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad