OT: Has anyone here been to a Chuck's Roadhouse?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
After seeing that commercial a number of times during Leafs games for Chuck's Roadhouse I decided to look at their menu online and compared to other chain restaurants like Kelsey's as an example, their prices are a lot cheaper. Anyway, I have never been to one before and I looked up the reviews of their closet location to me, which is in Richmond Hill, on Google it's got 4 stars out of 5. However, when I read the specific reviews about it, I'm seeing a number of 1 and 2 star reviews. There is also some 5 star reviews, so for anyone who has been their restaurant what did you think about it?
Their food is brutal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Swiss Chalet and Montana's, menu seems to change a couple of times a year. Those two restaurants are my go to, for cheap, "quality", quick service. I've never been disappointed at either place. Moxies is sometimes good sometimes not so good. Kelseys is OK I guess, not rememberable enough to go back. Boston Pizza is hot garbage. Eastside Mario's is pure garbage. If I want high quality, there are local boutique restaurants that are my go to, but its usually a $200 to $300 bill for dinner for two. Those are reserved for a few times a year for special occasions.
I personally think East Side Marrio's has the best value. Assuming you order their pastas or various entrees, those include the all you can eat soup or salad and their garlic homeloaf.

Plus, if you're a member of CAA you get a 10% discount.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I personally think East Side Marrio's has the best value. Assuming you order their pastas or various entrees, those include the all you can eat soup or salad and their garlic homeloaf.

Plus, if you're a member of CAA you get a 10% discount.

The two times I ate at Eastside Marios, I got the raging trots. The first time i thought it was something else, second time.. never again.

Reactions: therealkoho

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Recently I've been going to a pub on Front St. called C'est What. About a 10 minute walk from SBA. I've been just to watch the game and also for dinner before the game. Usually you see others in jerseys there as well. Food is really tasty and well-priced and the place has a nice atmosphere. Worth checking out.

Reactions: Roadhog and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Recently I've been going to a pub on Front St. called C'est What. About a 10 minute walk from SBA. I've been just to watch the game and also for dinner before the game. Usually you see others in jerseys there as well. Food is really tasty and well-priced and the place has a nice atmosphere. Worth checking out.
Been there many times back in the day as well as The Jersey Giant which was next door or a couple doors over.
Spent so much time at the Giant that I named my first dog Jersey(rip), almost 30 years ago.

C'est What? was always an interesting place with good food.

Reactions: al secord

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Does Chuck's still have their "honest to goodness fee"? It was a few percent upcharge on all food, so that prices listed weren't even the real prices. And if memory serves they'd pitch it as some kind of positive to the customer because it's their way of "keeping prices low".

All this to say, chucks very clearly has a target audience. And the audience isn't smart people 😂

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Does Chuck's still have their "honest to goodness fee"? It was a few percent upcharge on all food, so that prices listed weren't even the real prices. And if memory serves they'd pitch it as some kind of positive to the customer because it's their way of "keeping prices low".

All this to say, chucks very clearly has a target audience. And the audience isn't smart people 😂

i think its like 3%

on Wednesdays they have a rib special for i think $13. its not bad. the ribs are ok

Reactions: Roadhog

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Been there many times back in the day as well as The Jersey Giant which was next door or a couple doors over.
Spent so much time at the Giant that I named my first dog Jersey(rip), almost 30 years ago.

C'est What? was always an interesting place with good food.
That's cool, didn't realize it's been around for a bit. Giant sounds like a good place, I should check it out next time.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For those of us of a certain age, each visit to Chuck's has made me think what Ponderosa would be like right now if it had survived.

......... and there's a reason why it didn't survive.

Chuck's is very under-whelming for the prices they charge.
That reminds me of easily my worst (and best) restaurant experience.

My girlfriend and I went to a Ponderosa once. We ordered steaks (rare), she had a Dubonnet and I ordered a vodka martini.

The martini was made with gin, which I can't stand. The steaks were done medium well. The 'tossed salad' was a chunk of lettuce, and the 'toasted roll' was a fried half hotdog bun.

I complained. The manager came. I said I would pay for the Dubonnet which my girlfriend had drunk, but that was all. He told me to never come back. I said I could guarantee that.

We left, but we were still hungry. Around the corner there was a small upstairs restaurant called 'Senior's Dining Nook'. We went there, and the meal and service were spectacular. I've been back many times, but it's gone now.

Reactions: LeafSteel

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure everything said here is valid but the Belleville location isn't that bad?

I strictly go for the half priced appetizers after 9, you get like 2 lbs of decent wings for like 13 bucks. A few of their other apps are alright too.

It's whatever but if you know what to order and you're a 20something with no money, it's the place to get drunk.
Probably the best description. In my younger days I would be all over it. Especially before a game.

Reactions: Jojalu

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I been to several ones. The Richmond Hill one is by far the worst in terms of atmosphere. But big tv, cheaper beer... Their food is terribad. Most times I eat something before i get there.
Something about Richmond Hill. Probably the worst Keg I've ever been to. Service and food were horrible.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
The Chucks here is a welcome spot in a small town, but the food ranges from awful to just ok. On the plus side the beer is relatively cheap and it’s a great place for a group to watch sporting events. I’d never bother with a steak there but the apps are fine.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I haven't been there since pre covid, but it was mainly good for cheap drinks. But if you sit at the bar, be prepared to be annoyed by local drunks.

The only food I ever had there were chicken wings, and they were ok, hard to screw those up unless its the cheap excuse for chicken Hooters pumps out on wing night.

Reactions: Roadhog

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
If you like Wings. I mean really like Wings. To the point you want to try Wings that have been consistently rated top five in north america, drive to Brantford.

There aren't any better wings in Ontario. There aren't any better wing places, ranked, in Canada.

Reactions: Jojalu and Roadhog

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
It's a very cheap night out, but nothing there will make you go "damn that was good" the best you'll get is satisfied. And sometimes, when the wallets hurting, I'll settle for satisfied for the price.

I'd never recommend it for anything special, but if you want two beers and a steak, you can't beat the price.

I only go about twice a year just to do another thing with the wifey, but there are many better places.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How can you guys afford to live there?

The prices being quoted for meals being described?
How do you make a potato tasteless?
Is potato!

And how much of those prices are taxes, like 5% or something? 😉

Then add the 18% automatic tip.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean you roll the dice when it comes to places with cheap food. Doesn’t mean it’s all bad, but it depends on your personal preference :laugh:

Never been to one but I can’t say I’d want to take the wife for a date night to one. At the same time if we’re talking a post beer league game with the boys, then that would do.

Years ago we went to a top restaurant in London, Ontario and my wife order duck a'lorange.
We were there with another couple and mostly the evening was about socializing.
My wife couldn't cut the duck, so without really thinking about it I tried cutting it.
Wasn't easy!
Anyway, we ordered desserts and waiter asked how things were and we said the duck was a little tough, and he was offended and almost argued with us about it.
Minutes later we hear the waiter tell another table, "the chef isn't happy with the duck tonight."

You can get bad food in good restaurants, they just don't want to admit it.

A couple of my kids worked in chain restaurants while in high school, and I'm not sure there is a wide difference between good and bad food in the chains.
I find biggest difference is you want the hot food to be hot, and the cold to be cold.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Worked in a grocery store, and helped in the butcher shop before wings were a thing. Yeah, over 50 years ago.

We almost gave the wings away to get rid of them.

Such a money maker today.

But boneless chicken, aren't wings!
Yep most people just used them to make stock.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you like Wings. I mean really like Wings. To the point you want to try Wings that have been consistently rated top five in north america, drive to Brantford.

There aren't any better wings in Ontario. There aren't any better wing places, ranked, in Canada.
I’m sure they are very good but I always laugh at the ‘Voted best….’
I’ve been to a ton of places where they were voted the best. Some were good some not so good.
Who does this voting? A team of experts travels NA and tries them all?

IMO dry sauced wings can’t be beat. 1673717874539.png

Reactions: LeafsNation75

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Isn’t Chuck’s just a re-branded Crabby Joe’s? Or am I just imagining that?
All of them are pretty much the same, no matter the signage. The menus have stylistic differences but the food, and calling it that is a stretch, is as low quality as they can sell and still keep the doors open.

Edit. This is all thanks to the US style of capitalism, is anybody old enough to remember how good Tim Hortons was before Wendy's got a hold of them?

First move was to award about 50% more franchises then were viable. Then came the drive through, when franchisees complained they weren't making enough money, they went from 18% cream to 10, then the doughnuts got smaller and the prices increased while the coffees quality was downgraded and less grounds were used per pot. Then by the time they had run out of new money making ploys they sold it to the Brazilians

I wonder when the NHL is going to award a bunch of new franchises:naughty::nod:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad