Confirmed with Link: Hartman and 5th to Preds for Ejdsell, 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I like the deal. I would have been good without making it, but I'm also good with it.

We basically just picked up our late first from next draft already. Except it's already developed and ready to go right now. It also gives us another player to expose down the road.

Ejdsell was nice to have and I was happy when we signed him, but with our center depth he wouldn't have been able to crack the lineup any time soon except maybe the 4th line which wouldn't suit him. If he's able to make a career in Chicago than good for him, if not it's really no loss. And the later draft picks are basically a wash.

It's not a blockbuster, it's not even really the ideal trade, but for a deadline deal and one with a division rival we could have done a lot worse.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like said I don't like it, but if you are going to burn a 1st and a prospect for depth at least it's for a guy that has some term and you can cost control.

I think in the end Poile wanted something with term if he was giving up much of anything, and he did that. Whether that ends up being good or not we will see. Hartman pretty much sucked in their series against us last year so I'm not holding my breath.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Like said I don't like it, but if you are going to burn a 1st and a prospect for depth at least it's for a guy that has some term and you can cost control.

I think in the end Poile wanted something with term if he was giving up much of anything, and he did that. Whether that ends up being good or not we will see. Hartman pretty much sucked in their series against us last year so I'm not holding my breath.
Who didn't suck on the Hawks in that series last year? Maybe Crawford?

Reactions: SouthNash

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
The Hartman deal doesn't move the needle towards a cup win really; team about the same as yesterday except an extra fourth line player whose upside will be being on a third line or a last ditch effort to get something going in the top 6; not much going on there. The team is too thin scoring wise to justify such a costly move for "depth". Hartman isn't much of an upgrade over AHL callups and certainly isn't as big of an upgrade to justify the cost. There really isn't a good way to spin this.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I like the deal. I would have been good without making it, but I'm also good with it.

We basically just picked up our late first from next draft already. Except it's already developed and ready to go right now. It also gives us another player to expose down the road.

Ejdsell was nice to have and I was happy when we signed him, but with our center depth he wouldn't have been able to crack the lineup any time soon except maybe the 4th line which wouldn't suit him. If he's able to make a career in Chicago than good for him, if not it's really no loss. And the later draft picks are basically a wash.

It's not a blockbuster, it's not even really the ideal trade, but for a deadline deal and one with a division rival we could have done a lot worse.

I wonder if Edjsell saw the emergence of Gadreau and the acquisitions of Turris and Bonino and asked for a trade. I wondered if Poile was worried about sending a bad message to other UFA who might think of signing with us but I'm guessing Edjsell won' be too upset

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I guess it depends on what you consider to be depth vs. depth with upside potential. The guy put up 19 goals in his rookie season so know the scoring potential is there. He's been down this year but so has basically the entire Blackhawks team. This isn't the big splash name I had hoped for but at the same time I definitely don't have the same feeling I had with Franson/Santorelli.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
The various ways people are trying to spin this (misused, close to a career point total (which is still really low)) really shows that we swung for the fences on this one. Shocking to see from a team on the verge of a possible cup run

There's no business for a top team in the league to spend such assets on a dime a dozen player

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The Hartman deal doesn't move the needle towards a cup win really; team about the same as yesterday except an extra fourth line player whose upside will be being on a third line or a last ditch effort to get something going in the top 6; not much going on there. The team is too thin scoring wise to justify such a costly move for "depth". Hartman isn't much of an upgrade over AHL callups and certainly isn't as big of an upgrade to justify the cost. There really isn't a good way to spin this.

Wait- a first round pick who scored 19 goals last year at age 22 isn't an upgrade over an AHL callup???

Strongly disagree.........

If we had drafted someone this year with our late first round pick this year who wound up being a guy who scored 19 goals for us at age 22 we would be thrilled with that return.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Based on his play he's not an upgrade. He had a fluke year with the Blackhawks last season as an older prospect (he turns 24 next season) and was barely a PPG player in juniors and has had horrible offensive numbers everywhere he's played. And again, we're going ga-ga over a guy who may break 20 goals one year.

He is not worth the assets given up

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
This isn't depth for this year only. This is Hartnells permanent replacement on the 3rd line next year

But why not just sign Hartnell again next year if he wants to play? I'm not at all a fan of giving up 1sts and prospects for bottom 6 players no matter how young or how much control they have left.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Based on his play he's not an upgrade. He had a fluke year with the Blackhawks last season as an older prospect (he turns 24 next season) and was barely a PPG player in juniors and has had horrible offensive numbers everywhere he's played. And again, we're going ga-ga over a guy who may break 20 goals one year.

You just conveniently dismiss his good year last year as a fluke I see.

I don't think anyone is going "ga ga" over him or this trade. But you make it seem like we mortgaged our future or something. Unless you think Ejdsell is a huge loss, I just don't think this deal is worth getting overly worked up about one way or the other.

Again, if we drafted a player with our late first pick and it winds up being Hartman that would be a pretty decent first round pick, considering that the majority of late first round picks never have even a single season as good as he had last year.

So if that is close to a wash, then the rest of it is trading a 4th for a 5th. To me Ejdsell is the wildcard.

And I have listened to and read every bit of analysis I can find today and from what I have read, the majority of unbiased NHL media/analysts seem to like the deal from the Preds perspective.

Is it maybe a bit of an overpayment?? Maybe. And is there is a part of me who wishes we could have used that first for a true top 6 scorer?? Yes

But in my opinion, again this is not something to get overly worked up about.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It's a great improvement for the bottom 2 lines.

Was Nashville going to improve the top 2 lines: Nope
Was Nashville honestly going to improve the top 4 d men: Nope.

Hell, the HB-kroK line is hot. Hartman based his points is a dramatic improvement on the 4th line. Put Harts v2.0 on the 4th with Fisher and whoh momma. This gives insane depth to the Press-box. Salomaki and who?

Depth wise, it's going to be Tolvanen to give players in the top 6 forwards a blow. Salomaki and who knows for the bottom 6, Gaudreau for the middle 6.

Wish the team had gotten an improvement at bottom pairing D.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Wanted to hate this trade but I think this actually a real solid acquisition. Perhaps some unrealized offensive upside, is a very good 5v5 player and him and Watson are going to really antagonize opponents. With him being an RFA it's a pretty solid add while not being an immediate "all-in" move.

Reactions: triggrman

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
You just conveniently dismiss his good year last year as a fluke I see.

I don't think anyone is going "ga ga" over him or this trade. But you make it seem like we mortgaged our future or something. Unless you think Ejdsell is a huge loss, I just don't think this deal is worth getting overly worked up about one way or the other.

Again, if we drafted a player with our late first pick and it winds up being Hartman that would be a pretty decent first round pick, considering that the majority of late first round picks never have even a single season as good as he had last year.

So if that is close to a wash, then the rest of it is trading a 4th for a 5th. To me Ejdsell is the wildcard.

And I have listened to and read every bit of analysis I can find today and from what I have read, the majority of unbiased NHL media/analysts seem to like the deal from the Preds perspective.

Is it maybe a bit of an overpayment?? Maybe. And is there is a part of me who wishes we could have used that first for a true top 6 scorer?? Yes

But in my opinion, again this is not something to get overly worked up about.

The future isn't mortgaged but that doesn't make it a good trade; those assets could be used in other deals (the argument slides in here that there were no deals to be made of course lol). Hartman has never had the numbers to justify thinking he's going to be much more than what we've seen. And it isn't he has huge upside, forwards are usually done developing somewhere between 23-25.

We're trying to win a cup; I don't see this deal as making a difference on that really, especially for the assets. If people feel like we're a Hartman away from winning the cup than so be it. But we saw what happened in the playoffs last year when skilled forwards went down; Hartman being on the roster doesn't change the fact that he isn't a top 6 forward and our third and fourth line players will not cut it again being promoted.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Under other circumstances, Hartman could've been a terrific pickup. There are two key issues, though. The first is that there isn't the need or the room for him. The Preds have more than enough bottom-6 players, even ones that can move up to the 2nd for a short while. Hartman simply isn't going to get the opportunity to produce like he did in his 19-goal season, and the opportunity that he will get will be at the expense of someone else, like Sissons, who might not have produced all that much less than him.

The second issue is the price. If there were a hole in the 2nd or 3rd line that he could slot right into and where he would have the opportunity to produce like he did last season, then it might've been justified. It's sure a lot to pay for only a marginal bottom-6 improvement, though. I think that it was shortsighted, because the pick could've been flipped before the draft or the prospect taken could've been flipped at next year's deadline for a player who's better, who's needed more and who might contribute more to future runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdmiralsFan24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad