Confirmed with Link: Hartman and 5th to Preds for Ejdsell, 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah I'm a bit afraid this trade may be one of the few Poile may look back on in a couple of years and wished he hadn't made. That said it still is the AHL, which doesn't mean a whole lot yet.
Agreed. The Girard/Turris trade - I can see that one not looking so great in hindsight either, but I won't ever argue with the premise and knowing how we needed a 2C, it "made sense". Whether it works out or not. Whereas the Hartman deal... seemed a little "unnecessary"? I get some of the reasoning, ok, but Hartman is going to have to pan out for real for this one to pass the hindsight test. He might. I'm not saying it's impossible. But it's definitely a deal that has risk attached.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
For me the successfulness of this deal depends on Ejdsell. Poile did everything in his power to get him to sign with us and traded him away less than year later not knowing whether he'll turn out to be a decent player. Our 1st would've been low in a year and our window is now. The player we would've gotten there would've been a few years out. Hartman is ours for a few years, probably the whole window.

We paid a hefty price for Turris but we needed that 2C really bad and ultimately that deal propelled us to President's Trophy. He's still in his prime and is with us throughout the whole window. Had a solid reg season and only God knows where he disappeared during the playoffs.

Girard will turn out to be a good top-4 D but we didn't have a spot for him now, we needed the 2C more than we did 5D. The 2nd there doesn't really hurt, it would've been low and the same reasons apply here as to the Hartman deal.

Turris deal depends on Kamenev. Right now it looks like he's not gonna be a star player in the league, but if he turns out to be a top-6 guy then I consider that deal a fail.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
For me the successfulness of this deal depends on Ejdsell. Poile did everything in his power to get him to sign with us and traded him away less than year later not knowing whether he'll turn out to be a decent player. Our 1st would've been low in a year and our window is now. The player we would've gotten there would've been a few years out. Hartman is ours for a few years, probably the whole window.

We paid a hefty price for Turris but we needed that 2C really bad and ultimately that deal propelled us to President's Trophy. He's still in his prime and is with us throughout the whole window. Had a solid reg season and only God knows where he disappeared during the playoffs.

Girard will turn out to be a good top-4 D but we didn't have a spot for him now, we needed the 2C more than we did 5D. The 2nd there doesn't really hurt, it would've been low and the same reasons apply here as to the Hartman deal.

Turris deal depends on Kamenev. Right now it looks like he's not gonna be a star player in the league, but if he turns out to be a top-6 guy then I consider that deal a fail.
The Turris deal is a completely different deal than the Hartman one.

The Turris deal is much more like the Joey/Jones trade. It's a case going in where you know you are giving up the better player down the road, but you have an immediate and rather large hole to fill atm. We won't know how the Turris deal ends up for many years imo.

The Hartman trade is different because I dont feel like we were really filling a big hole there. This feels like a trade he could have made more around the draft and it could have cost much less. It feels like a pretty big overpayment already, and if Ejdsell turns out to be a really good player it could be worse.

That said who knows how it turns out in the end. If the pick ends up being a bust and Ejdsell fizzles out then we may come out on the better end of it. I'm hoping Lavi and the guys can work with Hartman and get that grit he has while diminishing the stupid.

In the end he got benched in the playoffs because his stupid > his grit.

Reactions: Drake744

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think many people were terribly impressed with the development of Ejdsell, and so other than being "cautious" over giving up a center, I got the sense that most of us probably weren't losing sleep over trading him. If he develops into a good player it'll suck for us, but IMO there's no need to dissect all these recent trades right now because they haven't really panned out yet. Girard will be a good player but that doesn't mean it's a loss for us. Jones is a very good player but no one here is like "oh that trade was idiotic". Contending teams make these moves all the time, or at least are in position to do so.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
In the end he got benched in the playoffs because his stupid > his grit.

In the end, he got benched because he was playing the entire playoffs with a serious shoulder injury that required surgery and a 5 month recovery time. Maybe part of the reason was penalties and maybe part of the reason for the penalties was the injury, I can't say. Anyway, he was still better than Turris/Fiala/Smith in the playoffs.

And it's official according to the Preds. 1 year 875K. Cheap, but not a big deal because the team is nowhere near the cap this season and it's only for 1 year.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
In the end, he got benched because he was playing the entire playoffs with a serious shoulder injury that required surgery and a 5 month recovery time. Maybe part of the reason was penalties and maybe part of the reason for the penalties was the injury, I can't say. Anyway, he was still better than Turris/Fiala/Smith in the playoffs.

And it's official according to the Preds. 1 year 875K. Cheap, but not a big deal because the team is nowhere near the cap this season and it's only for 1 year.

I doubt it since taking a lot of penalties has been a thing for him pretty much throughout his career. I remember a Hawks fan saying around the time he was traded that it was one of the reasons he was in Quenneville's doghouse last season

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I think there is a decent chance that the Hartman trade becomes a big bust. I don't blame Poile at all for signing him to a "show me" deal. I wasn't that impressed at all with Hartman. The only game that he I remember him standing out in was his first against WPG and a few shifts here and there in other games. He could be a good disruptor/under the skin type of player with a scoring touch but he needs to bring it every shift ala Arvy. He is not talented enough to take shifts/games off.

I can't complain about this deal though. It's a win-win for the Preds. All the pressure is on Hartman.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I doubt it since taking a lot of penalties has been a thing for him pretty much throughout his career. I remember a Hawks fan saying around the time he was traded that it was one of the reasons he was in Quenneville's doghouse last season

Well, he took penalty minutes at a higher rate relative to icetime in the postseason, a time when whistles are often put away. And I'm well aware he takes a good bit of penalties, but every year so far he's drawn more penalties than he commits, which is pretty much what you hope for from a pest.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

No he got benched after that stupid penalty he took that changed the entire course of the game. Now he may have an injured shoulder, but Lavi did the same thing to Hartnell after that silly hit he made against Buffalo. He has to get his head on straight or he won't be around long.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
No he got benched after that stupid penalty he took that changed the entire course of the game. Now he may have an injured shoulder, but Lavi did the same thing to Hartnell after that silly hit he made against Buffalo. He has to get his head on straight or he won't be around long.

What are you talking about? The Avs series or something? He played in 5 games against Winnipeg and only took 2 penalties, once in the May 5th game in the 3rd period when it was already 5-2 Winnipeg and the Jets were cruising and once in the April 29th game that the Preds won.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What are you talking about? The Avs series or something? He played in 5 games against Winnipeg and only took 2 penalties, once in the May 5th game in the 3rd period when it was already 5-2 Winnipeg and the Jets were cruising and once in the April 29th game that the Preds won.
Yeah think it was the Avs series and he didnt play again until the next if I remember right. Hard to remember I am still half asleep.

Also dont come into a thread and try and continue a conversation from 1 1/2 months ago. I lost my point of reference on that over a month ago.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Yeah think it was the Avs series and he didnt play again until the next if I remember right. Hard to remember I am still half asleep.

Also dont come into a thread and try and continue a conversation from 1 1/2 months ago. I lost my point of reference on that over a month ago.

The last game he played in the Avs series was also a Preds win, so if his penalty "changed the entire course of the game", then I guess it was a good thing?

MOD Edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad