Confirmed with Link: Hartman and 5th to Preds for Ejdsell, 1st and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I guess the Preds are hoping his performance will increase on a better roster? 1st for 1st, 5th for 4th. So it really comes down to how much you value those extra few years of a non-proven 1st rounder we haven't picked yet and Ejdsell.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I think we could have done better with the first and then some. Like if we included ejdsell why bother with a fourth too?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe Poile loves Hartman and he is just starting to tap into his potential?? Does this mean no tolvanen this season?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I like Hartman, and the value is fine. But this just seems like more of a summer move. Don't know where he fits for the rest of this season. Great move for the long term though.

By adding Fisher and Hartman, someone who's been on the roster all year long is now getting scratched...

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Maple, it doesn't seem like you have a grasp on the prices at this deadline. There are big names out there so the price for trades has been heightened. You have to base your trades on deals that have been made today and a few days leading up, And the prices have been high.

Hartman is an RFA and is 23 years old and was a 1st round pick. The price was definitely high, but that's simply the price to play the game. I trust Poile more than any GM across any sport. He doesn't get fleeced, so I am comfortable with this trade.

I'd have rather gone and scooped up Hoffman, but Poile did say in an interview that after everyone saw Tolvanen do what he's capable of, every team was asking for him in trades. I'm sure no one would budge. Poile felt he needed to do something so he goes out and gets a pretty good young forward with plenty of upside.

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe I am not seeing it but is this guy a rental or do we have him next year as well?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I guess Hartman is #2 on the Hawks in 5v5 points/60. Not a bad place to be. More concerned with where we might slot him though. Does he take someone's spot on the 4th line? Are we about to play depth scratch roulette for the next (hopefully) 4+ months?

I guess he also love to take penalties though. Should fit right in.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
he will get his trial at 4th line LW instead of salomaki until fisher returns... then it's a competition between him and Hartnell for the 3rd line LW playing time as i see it.

another right hand shooting LW. handedness questions and proposals coming soon...

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
You will like him. He's having a down year but so is just about the entire Blackhawks roster. I think he's closer in production to what he did last season versus this season. I don't think he'll cost much more to re-sign, either, so won't be a major cap-hit issue. At least I wouldn't think.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Maple, it doesn't seem like you have a grasp on the prices at this deadline. There are big names out there so the price for trades has been heightened. You have to base your trades on deals that have been made today and a few days leading up, And the prices have been high.

Hartman is an RFA and is 23 years old and was a 1st round pick. The price was definitely high, but that's simply the price to play the game. I trust Poile more than any GM across any sport. He doesn't get fleeced, so I am comfortable with this trade.

I'd have rather gone and scooped up Hoffman, but Poile did say in an interview that after everyone saw Tolvanen do what he's capable of, every team was asking for him in trades. I'm sure no one would budge. Poile felt he needed to do something so he goes out and gets a pretty good young forward with plenty of upside.

Ok. You just made me feel better about this trade. Not gonna lie lol.
I would rather trade first for Hartman then tolvanen for Hoffman
Thanks for the great insight!

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Can't argue with the current production of the 3rd line, but feels like he'd slot in perfectly there for Hartnell, add a little bit more speed.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Obviously, there will be slumps and injuries to players which gives us great depth with Hartman. A 1st was a bit too rich for him, though. We really screwed over Ejdsell as well, not a good look for UFA's who consider us.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
A normal late 1st round pick would take 2-4 years to develop and become effective addition to our roster - with a 40% chance. Although it is not sure at all, if we would have the roster spot to facilitate such development in the first place.

What Poile did here was fast-forwarding our 1st round pick to this very moment, and making it more useful for our current run and our cup window in the next couple years.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Like many on here, my first reaction was that I was not crazy about trading our first for this return.

However, as we all know that first will very late. And Hartman himself was a first round pick who scored nearly 20 goals last year and has upside. So for me if we got that kind of player/production out of a guy we ourselves drafted we would all be pretty happy about it.

So I do feel better looking at it that way.

Also, one of my biggest fears was that we would not do anything and Winnipeg would make some kind of big splash.

But right now, if these are the only two moves made (Hartman for us/Stastny or Winnipeg)- I don’t think that is bad at all from a Preds perspective. Could have been a lot worse.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Sounds like I'm on an island here, but I'm really liking this move. He's a 23-year old RFA who's already proven that he can be a 20-goal scorer. We now have his rights for at least 4 more years. I'd take that for a late-round 1st any day. Ejdsell hurts some, but we didn't touch either of our top guys.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Sounds like I'm on an island here, but I'm really liking this move. He's a 23-year old RFA who's already proven that he can be a 20-goal scorer. We now have his rights for at least 4 more years. I'd take that for a late-round 1st any day. Ejdsell hurts some, but we didn't touch either of our top guys.

Certainly not on an island, at least not alone on that island. That may not comfort you though. :)

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I like it. Tolvanen has warped the view of late first rounders for some, that's part of the problem. If we don't count Tolvanen, Austin Watson is by far the best player Poile has drafted in the back half of the 1st round. I'll take the sure thing, ready to contribute right now.

Reactions: SouthNash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad