Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Swamp Rabbits Thread *Part VI*

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Just want to throw in that Beacon had noted Graves' abilities well before he was on anyone's near-term radar

Graves had a great last couple Junior years of development, twice being acquired to play top 4 by Q teams headed to Memorial Cup, and earning that role with his play and improving abilities

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
OK, then I stand corrected. Beacon at least brought Graves to my attention as a guy who was near-term (i.e. - developing rapidly). Didn't mean to step on any toes.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Just want to throw in that Beacon had noted Graves' abilities well before he was on anyone's near-term radar. Beacon also had much to say about Hrivik last season. It's surprising that Hrivik has not gotten the call yet, because what Beacon had said about him matches my own eye test. He is all over the ice, decent speed, maniacal forechecker, etc... When I watch him play, I see a Dom Moore...without a doubt. He deserves a shot.

:huh: a nice handful of us loved his game in juniors.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Graves and McIlrath both have huge ****ing cannons. Imagine them just bombing some from the point as a pairing? That'd be lethal. Screw it, if we don't get Yandle back, put those guys on their off-side for One-T's and just blast away with Kreider or someone standing in front of the goalie on the PP.

Graves' development is looking real good.

Graves has a better shot and is much more mobile, but nowhere near as tough. If Graves were as tough as McIlrath, we'd have Scott Stevens on our hands.

Btw, it's true that several people were pumping Ryan's tires when he was still in the juniors and I didn't watch him play.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
OK everyone, I understand, lol.

I haven't been here that long and should've known better. The only guy pumping Graves' tires when I arrived was Beacon. I'll be more cautious next time I pay a compliment. :P

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
OK everyone, I understand, lol.

I haven't been here that long and should've known better. The only guy pumping Graves' tires when I arrived was Beacon. I'll be more cautious next time I pay a compliment. :P
We're watching you bub

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Hartford beat their Division Leading foes today 3-1. That makes 8 wins in a row.

Hellberg was really good when he needed to be.

Megna had the first goal on a short-handed breakaway...smooth as silk. Second goal was a Tambo wrister from the left side dot area. That's his 11th on the year. Last goal was an open netter by Oleksuk I think.

Wolfpack is 1 point behind the Bruins for a Playoff spot...but do have two teams right on their butt, as well. Got to keep this up.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Hartford beat their Division Leading foes today 3-1. That makes 8 wins in a row.

Megna had the first goal on a short-handed breakaway...smooth as silk. Second goal was a Tambo wrister from the left side dot area. That's his 11th on the year. Last goal was an open netter by Oleksuk I think.

Wolfpack is 1 point behind the Bruins for a Playoff spot...but do have two teams right on their butt, as well. Got to keep this up.
Last years playoff push and run were huge for McIlrath and Lindbergs development, if they can continue they'll be huge for Skjei and Graves this time around.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Can you please post Tambo's goal if you get the chance? The kid has a great shot

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Further good news is Pack getting healthy

Diaz came back 2 games ago and now
yesterday both Gibbons and Calle A returned to the lineup

assuming Hughes, scratched for Andersson, is not injured.
i think that leaves only Lindblad on injured list

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Can you please post Tambo's goal if you get the chance? The kid has a great shot

Sure.

It was actually a filthy goal. He evaded some defenders and let go with a quick-release snapper/wrister. Pretty impressive goal. The commentator for WBS thinks it may have deflected, but that's BS. Looks like Tambo plain old beat him.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sure.

It was actually a filthy goal. He evaded some defenders and let go with a quick-release snapper/wrister. Pretty impressive goal. The commentator for WBS thinks it may have deflected, but that's BS. Looks like Tambo plain old beat him.

Thank you! That was a pretty nice snipe, and I'm glad to see his shot is translating to some success in the AHL.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
FIRST PERIOD

Starting line up: Nehring at center, Rambo on the left, Bourque on the right. Bodie with Skjei on defense. Hellberg in the net. Wearing the alternate red jersey for the Baby Islanders game.

Adam-Brown-Megna.
Combs-Hrivik-Jensen
McCarthy-Oleksuk-Gibbons

Hrivik with a turnover in his own zone.

Megna pulled down after a good job stickhandling, but no called because AHL refs are legally blind.

Gibbons breaks up a pass, creating a two on one. Bad pass almost kills it, but the Pack get a shot, then Graves gets a rebound.

As I've said before, Nehring quickly went from an ECHLer at the start of last season to being a very, very good AHLer right now.

Summers shoves an Islander hard to win the puck.

GOAL: The linesmen failed to call an offside and the Pack just stopped playing assuming it will be, so the puck got to the Islander all alone in front of Hellberg for a goal.

Couple of big stops by Hellberg.

GOAL: Bodie turns over the puck when he was tackled by a combination of his own weakness and an uncalled penalty. Shot on Hellberg, rebound and a goal into a half-empty net. 2-0.

Megna scored, but the ref claimed that even though he failed to blow the whistle, he wanted to because he lost sight of the puck even though it was a big juicy rebound. Now I'm convinced the ref is purposely helping the Islanders. Total BS. Both goals we gave up should've been prevented by penalty calls and now this one was waived off for no reason.

Pack with a good looking power play, but no goal.

END OF THE FIRST PERIOD

Nothing particularly noteworthy from Skjei, Graves or Rambo.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
SECOND PERIOD

There's apparently a "Ken Gernander show" on Thursday at 4:45 pm on 97.9fm in Connecticut in case you want to hear the coach speak about the Pack.

Hell with a couple of good saves on two different shifts.

Bodie continue to be a disaster in his own zone. He's so far from the NHL, Ticketmaster should refuse to sell him a ticket to the MSG for any seat closer than the 200s.

GOAL: Tigers score again, this one over Hell's glove on a 2-on-1. Skjei played it pretty well, Hell should've caught it, but he's very inconsistent.

GOAL: And just as I typed the above, Oleksuk wins the faceoff and McCarthy shot it into the upper far corner over Berube's stick. Another bad goal to give up. 3-1.

PENALTY: Andersson got tripped up. Nothing going here.

Diaz is a good AHLer, but wouldn't be good in the NHL. Same for Summers, but Diaz is a little better.

Jensen is not as good as he was in the first couple of games. Pretty invisible.

Skjei goes nicely coast to coast, then nothing happens behind the Islander net.

PENALTY: Bodie tackled again. He's physically abused. This is how he played before when McIlrath wasn't there to protect him. Stuff like that used to happen to multiple players before The Understaker went to Hartford, then he made it stop. Now it's back.

Skjei is close to NHL-ready, but not there yet. He can occasionally get into a few games when he's sheltered, but he's just not ready for full time duty. But he will be a good NHL defenseman in a couple of years.

Rambo shot, rebound, no goal.

Nehring with a wrap around, then his own rebound, still no goal.

Hell slides side to side to make a big save.

Oleksuk got a pass right in front of Berube, but the goalie stopped it.

PENALTY: Another pass right in front of Berube, this one to McCarthy who got crosschecked as he shot the puck. No goal on the PP.

Penalty on the Pack with 22 seconds to go in the second.

END OF TWO

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
THIRD PERIOD

Penalty killed off.

Good point blank save by Hell.

Bodie makes a really, really nice pass from the corner to the forward standing right in front of the net. Unfortunately, it was an Islander forward and it was in front of Hellberg, who luckily made a save.

Hell turns over the puck trying to play it, huge scramble in front of the Pack net, but didn't go in.

Hrivik with a couple of nice moves on offense.

Penalty on Gibbons. Midway through the PK, penalty on the Isles so there will be a partial PP after the 4-on-4. No goal and when the Tiger left the PK cage, he went on a partial breakaway against Hell.

GOAL: Taylor Beck on another breakaway and a goal. Just awful defending by the Pack the whole game. 4-1.

I'm done with this game.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Hartford handled St. John's tonight 4-1. Still a point or two out of a playoff spot. First goal for Hartford was via our favorite slapshot. This is happening a lot lately. Highlight below:

Ryan Graves Goal 01/30/2016

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The reason the Wolf Pack won so hard was because the IceCaps didn't have All-Star John Scott last night.

In all seriousness, love how Graves is turning out.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“Gravey makes the safe play and that can have a negative connotation to it. He makes smart, heady plays to who is available, distributes the puck well and has a good stick in the lanes (defensively) and uses his body well. The more he uses that shot, the better he will be (all around).â€

For Skjei, a New York Rangers’ 2012 first round pick, Gernander shares the same cautious optimism that he has for Graves.

“They (Graves and Skjei) are not identical players in the fact you can paint them with the same brush. They are both first year defenseman and they are continually growing and were encouraging them in using their best assets and working on others and were seeing that in their recent play.â€

http://www.howlings.net/2016/01/29/cantlons-corner-cleaning-out-the-reporters-notebook/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA