cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Pack got short on RHD when Emberson got claimed, and Berzolla hurt,
a year after trading Nils and Skinner

in past few weeks added 3 young RHD Mancini, Siedem and McCarthy

Hollowell has been 'the man' on the right for Pack this year[>60GP, >40 pts]

but he seems to be pending Group 6UFA, since already 25, >3 pro seasons, and only 6 NHL games

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
enough spots in the locker room?
1713303852965.jpeg

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack add another NCAA UDFA D-man on a 2-year deal (as w Siedam)
Case McCarthy played 5 seasons at BU, this year wore 'C', last 'A'
NYR GM Chris Drury a loyal BU alum ...

"He is a big hitter and the type of big hitter that that is extremely effective without pulling himself out of position to lay down the boom", McKeen's Hockey 2019 (via EliteProspects)

---------------
slight update, he wasn't UDFA, had been drafted by NJD

More on Case McCarthy

Reactions: egelband and cwede

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think your points are fair with regards to his play this year. In fact, when Othamnn got off to the hot start I was trying to tell people in this thread to tap the brakes for many of the reason that you outline. But it's only his first pro year. And he does have an NHL quality shot. I think he's been adversely affected in Hartford by the lack of center play that can get him pucks in spots where he can use his shooting talent. I see a guy who right now looks to me like a Frank Vatrano. With a creative center he could be a good goal scorer. Not a first line player but someone who could have a good career. I also wonder in reading all of his quotes that he knows the things he needs to work on and he is thinking too much rather than just playing. From all of the reports around the trade deadline it appears he was not made available by the Rangers.

And while it's always nice to have more draft picks, this team is built to compete now and I think its unlikely that the team trades a guy who they think might be able to play in the NHL in the next year or two for a player that could be 2-4 years away from playing.
Agree Ric….
His not far off from helping. And skating is an issue that can be corrected with hard work and dedication.
The 2 best things about Othmann currently are his shot and his style of play.. the kid can really rip the puck.
He just got a taste of what big boy hockey is going to be like from here on out this season…
It comes down to the player really… does he have what it takes to work hard in the offseason in the gym and on the ice?? If yes, he might surprise some people come training camp next season.
Honestly, another 1/2 year or full year with the pack is only going to help him. He’ll probably never be a driver of play on a line like you said, but a very good complimentary guy who plays with edge and can put the puck in the net…
I think vatrano but more sandpaper is a solid comp currently tbh.
Id rather not trade a guy like that, whose maybe a year away from helping the team for a draft pick whose going to likely take longer.
Berard is a beauty… he’s got a non-stop motor and always winds up in the right part of the ice.. if he doesn’t start on the big club next season, I’d be pretty surprised….
I have high hopes for chmelar/edstrom as well that they will become solid nhl players. Edstrom has already demonstrated he belongs and should be NYR 4C at the start of the year.
I think chmelar has a really good year with the pack next season if he’s fully healthy.
The size/skating/hands/head are all there, he’s just needs minutes/games in the AHL to refine himself.
I also am a big fan of Vaisanen, but he’s got more physical/mental maturing to do imo.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Never quite understood why Edstrom didn't stick with NY.
The Rangers could only keep two of Rempe, Edstrom and Brodzinski due to cap concerns.
Brodzinski has a lower salary than the rookies so he was staying and guessing that Laviolette/Drury went with Rempe for either his certain set of skills or wanted Edstrom to receive more minutes in Hartford rather then playing 4th line minutes and rotating out of the lineup with the Rangers.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The Rangers could only keep two of Rempe, Edstrom and Brodzinski due to cap concerns.
Brodzinski has a lower salary than the rookies so he was staying and guessing that Laviolette/Drury went with Rempe for either his certain set of skills or wanted Edstrom to receive more minutes in Hartford rather then playing 4th line minutes and rotating out of the lineup with the Rangers.
Edstrom is cooking. He'll be here soon enough.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Will the Pack being in the playoffs impact who the Rangers call up as black aces?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
They probably won't call anyone up unless they need to. Once Hartford is done, which could be pretty quick. then they will choose the black aces.
i agree they can/should wait, no immediate benefit, given an extra f and 2 D already with NYR.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

I think Edstrom would be much more valuable than Brodzynski, even moreso in the playoffs.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I think Edstrom would be much more valuable than Brodzynski, even moreso in the playoffs.
Of the three I would say that Edstrom has the most upside but Brodzinski is not waiver exempt.
Not even sure if Drury/ Martin papered Jonny for Hartford’s playoff roster but if he was then since the regular season has ended for all teams I imagine that he could be sent down and Edstrom sent up.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Brodzinski is not waiver exempt.
Not even sure if Drury/ Martin papered Jonny for Hartford’s playoff roster but if he was then since the regular season has ended for all teams I imagine that he could be sent down and Edstrom sent up.
My understanding - Brodz had outlasted his waiver clearance, and wasn't waived again, so couldnt have been 'paper' assigned to Pack, around TDL, to be eligible for AHL playoff

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hallowell could choose to be a free agent.
Last summer, when he signed w NYR, he was UFA (non QO)
He's played a key role, they've had success, NYR usually pay well on 2-way deals
I think there's reasonable chance he re-ups, probably with higher AHL salary than this year's $160k(per CF)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hartford playing WBS tonight. WBS is 2 points ahead of Charlotte for 3rd in the Atlantic with 2 games left. If WBS wins tonight, they clinch the 3rd spot. This is important because Hartford will most likely play whichever team finishes 4th.

Hartford's 5th spot isn't set yet, but it's pretty much done. Lehigh Valley is 5 points back with 3 games left and Hartford holds the tiebreaker.

If the lineup posted on the AHLTV window is correct, Othmann is out. Domingue is in net and Ollas is the backup. Smith may just be resting guys in preparation for the playoffs.

Reactions: noncents

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hartford playing WBS tonight. WBS is 2 points ahead of Charlotte for 3rd in the Atlantic with 2 games left. If WBS wins tonight, they clinch the 3rd spot. This is important because Hartford will most likely play whichever team finishes 4th.

Hartford's 5th spot isn't set yet, but it's pretty much done. Lehigh Valley is 5 points back with 3 games left and Hartford holds the tiebreaker.

If the lineup posted on the AHLTV window is correct, Othmann is out. Domingue is in net and Ollas is the backup. Smith may just be resting guys in preparation for the playoffs.
lotta regulars scratched
makes sense,
- having clinched,
- 3 game weekend, and
- SO many guys on roster now.
Rotate thru 'em all for these 3 games.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Berard is so fun to watch in tight space and even better with some time and space. Great move he made to get the puck to Trivigno shorthanded. Trivigno couldn't convert.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad