Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i am not surprised when a sophomore stays in school
coming out quick oughta be for the sure things
McD stayed 3 seasons, Hagelin 4
I'm not really surprised, but I thought it was a possibility given his success this year and given that he is a year older than the typical sophomore.

Reactions: cwede

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Not believing that Seattle would be up for this but I would offer Othmann for their 2024 first.
If they balk, I then add Robertson and see if they’d bite?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
i am not surprised when a sophomore stays in school
coming out quick oughta be for the sure things
McD stayed 3 seasons, Hagelin 4
IMO he went as far and reach as much as he could at this level. He's also not on the younger(est) side of his draft class, he's not in the prominent college program or highly ranked program in terms of education he received.

Reactions: cwede

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not believing that Seattle would be up for this but I would offer Othmann for their 2024 first.
If they balk, I then add Robertson and see if they’d bite?
I don't think the addition of Robertson would move the needle much.

Who would you be targeting with that pick?

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I know you've followed HFD, what's the reasoning behind giving up on Othmann already?
Othmann is 21. Next season is a watershed moment for his hockey career.
I’m a believer in selling high and I am always happy when I am proven wrong when it comes to benefiting the Rangers organization. Be that stated I’m of the opinion that after watching Brennan all season that he is not going to develop into an everyday NHL player.
A slower Jonny Brodzinski with a better shot. Only takes the body if it is right in front of him. Doesn’t protect the house. Rarely drives the net instead chooses to shoot from the circle. His shot was deadly in the CHL not sure it will be effective against NHL goalies.
His even strength goal total is less than half his total goals scored which is a concerning stat.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I’m a believer in selling high and I am always happy when I am proven wrong when it comes to benefiting the Rangers organization. Be that stated I’m of the opinion that after watching Brennan all season that he is not going to develop into an everyday NHL player.
A slower Jonny Brodzinski with a better shot. Only takes the body if it is right in front of him. Doesn’t protect the house. Rarely drives the net instead chooses to shoot from the circle. His shot was deadly in the CHL not sure it will be effective against NHL goalies.
His even strength goal total is less than half his total goals scored which is a concerning stat.
and berard?

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
and berard?
Berard is everything you could want in a 1st year pro.
Fearless, drives the net, checks all the boxes in passing and shooting. Takes the body, doesn’t back down. Plays in all three zones, can skate and plays on specialty teams.
Looking forward to him getting into some NHL games next season.
Most importantly of all Brett’s strengths is that he Drives Play.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This feels a bit alarmist.

Does he have stuff he needs to work on? Absolutely. But let's not act like he's on the brink of being a bust 1 year into his pro career. Despite his warts, he has 45 points in 63 games. There's no reason to think he won't improve.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I wonder what they see in Barbashev
He had a strong season last year, and a then strong postseason.
This year got complicated, finding a team, finding a spot on his rights' team, getting traded...
What the scouts saw during draft prep should have weight too
Most teenage athletes don't develop in straight lines

Some folks here seem to be in a hurry to sort prospects into 'keep' or 'dump'
I'm the opposite, i don't feel confidant projecting a player's ceiling til ~ their 3rd contract ...

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Barbashev's game was never going to be offense, despite what many hoped. Too much association with his brother.

Nothing wrong with bringing him to Hartford to take a closer look. Everyone's flavor of the week Matt Rempe looked like his development had regressed or at least stagnated in junior, and he came to Hartford and started playing the game he was actually suited for. I don't think much of Barbashev but if he can come and play physically and be a pest while chipping in some points, he may still have a path.

And it's just an ATO, there's no ELC here. No harm in seeing what you have.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I think your points are fair with regards to his play this year. In fact, when Othamnn got off to the hot start I was trying to tell people in this thread to tap the brakes for many of the reason that you outline. But it's only his first pro year. And he does have an NHL quality shot. I think he's been adversely affected in Hartford by the lack of center play that can get him pucks in spots where he can use his shooting talent. I see a guy who right now looks to me like a Frank Vatrano. With a creative center he could be a good goal scorer. Not a first line player but someone who could have a good career. I also wonder in reading all of his quotes that he knows the things he needs to work on and he is thinking too much rather than just playing. From all of the reports around the trade deadline it appears he was not made available by the Rangers.

And while it's always nice to have more draft picks, this team is built to compete now and I think its unlikely that the team trades a guy who they think might be able to play in the NHL in the next year or two for a player that could be 2-4 years away from playing.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hartford plays Springfield tonight. Springfield is in 7th place in the Atlantic Division, 7 points behind 5th place Hartford.

If Hartford wins tonight in regulation, they will clinch a playoff spot.

Lehigh Valley is the 6th place team, 3 points behind Hartford. They play Hershey tonight, the best team in the league. We want Hartford to finish in the 5th spot. If they finish in 6th, they will play Hershey in round 1.

All 3 teams have 5 games left going into tonight.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I hope the Ranger stay affiliated with the Cyclones since I'm moving to Cincinnati in a few months, so it would be dope to go to cheap hockey games related to the Rangers.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Brett Berard is playing well as always.
Belzile scores at 13:19 then Jake
Leschshyn scored on a tip-in at 10:30 and Blake Hillman scored from the point at 1:42 of the 2nd. 4-1 Hartford
Domingue in net.
End of the second.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad