Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Yes. Othmann, Sykora and Chmelar sat last night.

Ollas has looked shaky to me. Hopefully it's just first pro game jitters and he will be better in the 2nd.

Chmelar scored his 2nd to make it 2-2 at the end of 1. Mancini got an assist, his 1st pro point, on Othmann's goal.
Chmelar in addition to scoring a goal by driving in and beating the goalie on a nice shot later stickhandler through Springfield to set up a great chance.

Chmelar in addition to scoring a goal by driving in and beating the goalie on a nice shot later stickhandler through Springfield to set up a great chance.
Ollas did not look good. Beat twice through five-hole and beat twice to the blocker. Gave up four goals while making 14 saves.

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Not sure it was mentioned in this thread but Rangers called up Domingue and Edstrom. If Hartford starts Wednesday and Rangers playing Tuesday and Friday maybe they're sent back for Wednesday's game.

Mancini makes a nice play to step up in center ice and then get the puck to Othmann, who had a strong game, for the goal. Very impressed by Mancin in the few games he's played.
Mancini paired tonight with Hallowell with Hallowell playing LD.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Othmann has 21 goals and 49 points. One more game. If he plays today, he can reach 50 points.

He looked good yesterday. One of his best games of the season, regardless of his production. His shot was on display on both goals, but I especially liked the 2nd one because he drove to the middle and created a better shot for himself as a result. He showed good patience on the assist to Hollowell.

A strong finish in the playoffs, followed by hopefully a long run as a black ace and an off season of hard work should have him ready to compete for a spot next season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Are there current roster guys who cannot dress for Pack in AHL playoffs? Didn't think so...
My understanding is that any player can play in the playoffs except NHL players sent down after the trade deadline. So, if Hartford were to somehow still be in the playoffs after the Rangers are done, we couldn't send Cuylle down to play.

This means Brodzinski can't play, since he wasn't waived and placed on the Hartford roster prior to the deadline. However, players like Chmelar, Vaisanen, Mancini, and any players on ATOs (Barbashev, for example) or AHL contracts can play, regardless of when they joined the roster.

Last year, both Edstrom and Sykora joined the team late and then played in the playoffs.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
My understanding is that any player can play in the playoffs except NHL players sent down after the trade deadline. So, if Hartford were to somehow still be in the playoffs after the Rangers are done, we couldn't send Cuylle down to play.

This means Brodzinski can't play, since he wasn't waived and placed on the Hartford roster prior to the deadline. However, players like Chmelar, Vaisanen, Mancini, and any players on ATOs (Barbashev, for example) or AHL contracts can play, regardless of when they joined the roster.

Last year, both Edstrom and Sykora joined the team late and then played in the playoffs.
My understandings align w all this, which is why i asked

Was @Raspewtin alluding to an overlooked corner case, affecting 1, or few, guys on current Pack roster?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

oh okay i was wrong then! thought they had to be on the roster at the deadline regardless

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Othmann has 21 goals and 49 points. One more game. If he plays today, he can reach 50 points.

Othmann has had a very good first pro year but he does need to work on his two way game. Also he'll score more if he goes to the net more. A lot of his production this year happened on the power play. He's got a great release and is excellent on one timers and he scored a lot from out around the right wing circle. It's kind of an Ovie kind of thing. But saying that to make the Rangers he's almost for certain going to have to break in like Cuylle on the bottom line....that is unless he can earn the the 2RW (on Mika's line---I think Trocheck's is really our first line) next year which is probably a big ask right now. But as is if he does make the Rangers he's not going to get a lot of power play time the way the current team is constructed---so he'll probably need to get to the net better or he probably won't score a lot of goals. It wouldn't shock me at all if he went back to Hartford for most of next year.

Berard has also had a very good first pro year and has a somewhat similar -19 +/- stat. Theirs are the worst on the team. Berard's smaller, a better skater and more prone to get in on the goalie than Othmann has been. I'd almost give him a slight edge to make the Rangers over Brennan next year. To me they're almost equal as prospects now though Brett is a bit older.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mancini and Chmelar are two guys I'm really interested in. They're both big---Mancini about 6'4 220 and Chmelar about 6'5 220 and they both can skate. Mancini was the shutdown D for a pretty good Nebraska-Omaha team and Chmelar two straight pretty good WJC's. They've potential to fill out bottom of the lineup NHL slots in the next couple/three years. Both 5th round draft picks. When you can get good results from 5th and 6th round picks (Rempe, Edstrom, Roobroeck) your scouting staff is killing it.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Othmann has had a very good first pro year but he does need to work on his two way game. Also he'll score more if he goes to the net more. A lot of his production this year happened on the power play. He's got a great release and is excellent on one timers and he scored a lot from out around the right wing circle. It's kind of an Ovie kind of thing. But saying that to make the Rangers he's almost for certain going to have to break in like Cuylle on the bottom line....that is unless he can earn the the 2RW (on Mika's line---I think Trocheck's is really our first line) next year which is probably a big ask right now. But as is if he does make the Rangers he's not going to get a lot of power play time the way the current team is constructed---so he'll probably need to get to the net better or he probably won't score a lot of goals. It wouldn't shock me at all if he went back to Hartford for most of next year.

Berard has also had a very good first pro year and has a somewhat similar -19 +/- stat. Theirs are the worst on the team. Berard's smaller, a better skater and more prone to get in on the goalie than Othmann has been. I'd almost give him a slight edge to make the Rangers over Brennan next year. To me they're almost equal as prospects now though Brett is a bit older.
In the last several games his goals have come on going to the net. That’s a big improvement from earlier in the season and is very encouraging.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Glad to hear Mancini has shown well.

Always thought empty netters screwed up both plus minus and 3rd period goal differential.

Commentators are always like "Team X gets/gives up tons of goals in the 3rd" and my thought is always- Yes, of course they do. They're almost always ahead/behind, an empty net even for a couple minutes drastically increases overall odds of a goal.

Reactions: kovazub94

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Mancini and Chmelar are two guys I'm really interested in. They're both big---Mancini about 6'4 220 and Chmelar about 6'5 220 and they both can skate. Mancini was the shutdown D for a pretty good Nebraska-Omaha team and Chmelar two straight pretty good WJC's. They've potential to fill out bottom of the lineup NHL slots in the next couple/three years. Both 5th round draft picks. When you can get good results from 5th and 6th round picks (Rempe, Edstrom, Roobroeck) your scouting staff is killing it.
Love the big boys that can skate and play.
Glad Mancini is showing well.
I think chmelar is going to open some eyes next season. Kids got the goods and a good head for the game.
The injury def hurt his development, but I’m glad he’s hit the ground running upon his return.
I’d wager he’s one of the standouts out camp next year. He’s physically there and he can skate.
I don’t think he makes the rangers right out of the gate next season, and frankly a full year in the A will be good for him but I’d wager he turns out to be 1 of our pleasant surprises.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Love the big boys that can skate and play.
Glad Mancini is showing well.
I think chmelar is going to open some eyes next season. Kids got the goods and a good head for the game.
The injury def hurt his development, but I’m glad he’s hit the ground running upon his return.
I’d wager he’s one of the standouts out camp next year. He’s physically there and he can skate.
I don’t think he makes the rangers right out of the gate next season, and frankly a full year in the A will be good for him but I’d wager he turns out to be 1 of our pleasant surprises.
IN the few games Mancini has played I think he is similar to a right handed Brandon Scanlin. Big, can be physical, decent hockey sense, can make a first pass and occasionally can jump into the play. I'm very impressed by him in a limited sample size.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad