Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
1-10-3 in last 14 after they lose this today lol.

They basically just have to split the two Springfield games left to make the playoffs.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
how could this team collapse like this wtf!!!
Mostly because it is not “this team”.
Some great post not that far back going over the down fall.
To briefly recap:
Players being called up to be with the Rangers. Even if those players didn’t dress they were not with the Pack.
Key injuries to forwards, defensemen and Domingue.
Fill ins by PTO’s, ATO,s and ECHL players not allowing for any continuity for line combinations or defensive pairings.
I would like think with next year with Edstrom, Rempe and Scanlin up with the Rangers and Hartford with incoming prospects, veteran AHL signings that this team will be in a more stabile position to win .
Hopefully with less injuries and better pro signings for the 24/25 Rangers to fill the gap on roster spots won’t cause the instability that has plagued Hartford this season.
Want to add that if Steve Smith is not retained as HC that Drury and Martin bring in a coaching staff that follows the North/South always a man in front of the opposing teams net, Knoblaugh/Smith system.
I can’t remember enjoying watching hockey in such a long time as I did watching Hartford in the first half of this season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mostly because it is not “this team”.
Some great post not that far back going over the down fall.
To briefly recap:
Players being called up to be with the Rangers. Even if those players didn’t dress they were not with the Pack.
Key injuries to forwards, defensemen and Domingue.
Fill ins by PTO’s, ATO,s and ECHL players not allowing for any continuity for line combinations or defensive pairings.
I would like think with next year with Edstrom, Rempe and Scanlin up with the Rangers and Hartford with incoming prospects, veteran AHL signings that this team will be in a more stabile position to win .
Hopefully with less injuries and better pro signings for the 24/25 Rangers to fill the gap on roster spots won’t cause the instability that has plagued Hartford this season.
Want to add that if Steve Smith is not retained as HC that Drury and Martin bring in a coaching staff that follows the North/South always a man in front of the opposing teams net, Knoblaugh/Smith system.
I can’t remember enjoying watching hockey in such a long time as I did watching Hartford in the first half of this season.

It's a little early but I'm pretty sure Rempe will be with the Rangers and I think Edstrom has a really good shot. A better shot IMO than either Othmann or Berard though both could contend. We're absolutely going to re-sign Schneider on D and probably Lindgren. I would expect the Rangers will sign another vet D....maybe even Gustafsson again but if not him then somebody else. I'd also guess that Jones will get more games next year but I'm not sure he's going to be an every day player. I don't really expect any of the Pack's current D to seriously contend for NHL jobs though depending on injuries we might see Scanlin again or even Robertson.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
be that as it may, it seemed like he projects as a bottom 6 C. I just want someone that othmann, sykora, berard, perreault etc can play with
Let me caveat this by saying that I haven't watched either player play, but just looking at the numbers and accolades, I think Laba could have a higher ceiling than Barker.

Both were around a point per game in the regular season, but Laba plays in a harder league. Also, Barker was 3rd on his team in points per game, while Laba was 1st on his team by a pretty good margin. Finally, Laba won the NCHC defensive player of the year award, which suggests he is at least competent defensively.

They are both about the same size and were only picked 14 spots apart in the same draft.

Add it up, and who knows. Maybe Laba could be a middle 6 guy. We need to see them both in Hartford, assuming Hartford won't be this terrible by the time they get there.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Mrs. Ranger Ric is away this weekend so I watched both games. Today was better than yesterday. Better effort and team not getting any breaks.

First goal -- Charlotte gets clean face off win in offensive zone. Puck goes back to defenseman. Othmann tries to get out to cover and is a little late. Defenseman shoots through several screens and beats Garand who never sees the puck.
Second goal -- Scanlin bringing the puck out of the defensive zone and is mugged and taken down. I don't know how a penalty is not called. Charlotte brings the puck in. Robertson a little late in getting over to the other side and wrist shot beats Garand.

Third goal -- I hate this goal. Charlotte breaks in 2-2 with Scanlin and Yoon back. they have their men covered and Edstrom and Sykora coming back. But a Charlotte player skates hard to be a third forward and I think it's Sykora -- maybe he was tired -- just glides along letting the player get in behind him who gets a pass and beats Garand.. Just a lack of effort by the forwards not coming back.

Fourth goal -- Charlotte keeps the puck in the offensive zone for 44 seconds and eventually gets a shot from the slot that beats Garand.

Barard breaks the goalless streaks with 3-4 seconds left.

Shots were pretty even, 29-26 Charlotte and Charlotte 0-6 on its PP.

Charlotte's just a better team. It can control play in offensive zone which the Pack rarely did. Hallowell out really hurts because he is the one defenseman that can drive play from the back end.

But I just can't think of any positive play by Belzille, Nash, Henriksson and Korczak. Nash hasn't looked the same since he was injured, Belzille is better on the wing and most nights the team is not getting very much from the other two. You just never see a center enter the zone with control and set up a play. As noncents says above the team desparately needs centers.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
The Pack isn't the only team with call-ups, injuries, trades, etc... all teams do. And however dominant Johnny B was in the AHL, wussup with other 22-23 Pack players, especially all the vets? Disgusting.

This year's epic implosion however is unlike the meltdowns of the past... this one is rotten.

Other than Johnny B... why is it that all vets over the past number of years, way back all the way to Kris Newbury, just totally forget how to play hockey and dominate once they join the Pack? Is it a cultural thing? Is the Pack less professional / accomodating than other AHL teams? Is playing for the Pack like being the bastard stepchild at a family function?

I refuse to believe a successful franchise like the Rangers, in an era of developing prospects and having a strong minor league system, would tolerate such failure over such a long time. Personally, as a fan of this team, back to the Bingo Rangers days before they moved to Hartford, having enjoyed the glorious 2000s and their Cup year... so highly disappointing, in so many aspects.

Playoffs or not this year... it can't be healthy operating your prime developmental team to be so bad over such a long period of time. Yes, winning every year is unrealistic and probably not even the primary goal of the NYR... but it sure as hell beats having your Othman's and Berard's and Kravtsov's in losing environments.

Just disappointed in a team/franchise I'm really passionate about... or at least, I was... staying up and awake to 1am my local time (7pm EST) sometimes requires more effort than I see on the ice from the Pack...

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
be that as it may, it seemed like he projects as a bottom 6 C. I just want someone that othmann, sykora, berard, perreault etc can play with
I suspect that center is one position the team will have to fill via free agency. Though they’re actually fine for a few more years. If bring back Wennberg for 3C. If he signs for three years we really don’t have to think too much about it. But of course I’m sure we’d all agree they need to make haste drafting centers.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I suspect that center is one position the team will have to fill via free agency. Though they’re actually fine for a few more years. If bring back Wennberg for 3C. If he signs for three years we really don’t have to think too much about it. But of course I’m sure we’d all agree they need to make haste drafting centers.
id probably be ok signing Wennberg but i meant in hartford!

one of bmb/laba/roobroeck + an AAAA quality C for the Pack might do it but ideally these wing prospects have something to work with..

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
id probably be ok signing Wennberg but i meant in hartford!

one of bmb/laba/roobroeck + an AAAA quality C for the Pack might do it but ideally these wing prospects have something to work with..
Brodzinski is signed for 2 more years. He could end up back in Hartford to start next season.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Brodzinski is singed for 2 more years. He could end up back in Hartford to start next season.
yeah he was dominant at the AHL level earlier this year. will be interesting to see how he's handled - if goodrow is indeed shipped out i think he will be a staple.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I'm hoping that Hartford gets a new coaching staff next season. When I was there on Saturday, there was absolutely no structure whatsoever. No controlled breakouts, nor any semblance of a setup in the offensive zone. I definitely didnt see them in a1-3-1 in the neutral zone either.

Reminded me of the Espo practices when he coached the big club.....just throw some pucks out there and told the boys to "go".

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I'm hoping that Hartford gets a new coaching staff next season. When I was there on Saturday, there was absolutely no structure whatsoever. No controlled breakouts, nor any semblance of a setup in the offensive zone. I definitely didnt see them in a1-3-1 in the neutral zone either.

Reminded me of the Espo practices when he coached the big club.....just throw some pucks out there and told the boys to "go".
Can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad