Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
damn the pack have been getting dummied lately...just going off the box score looks like that siedem kid had a disaster of a night with a dash 3 and a hooking penalty that led to a pp goal against. on the bright side seems like othmann and berard weren't the problem...combined 14 shots between them and both came out of the game even somehow.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’m not sure I would say soft. It’s just not his game to this point in his career.
Odd that his favorite player is Brad Marchand.
I believe I’ve mentioned this before that his upside defensively would be a Jan Erixon
type player and possible offensive ceiling may be Jesper Fast?
The reality on labeling an 18 year old has too many variables.
When someone is their favorite player, they usually play like that at least you would see some of that in their game? I see Jesper Fast upside in Sykora which isn't a bad thing. Hope he has 2ed line upside. The Rangers can use more of those types. Wish he was a shoot first type. Rangers have enough of the playmaker types

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lindbom had a really good stretch in the ECHL last year where it looked like maybe he was turning a corner and then he turned to a pile of shit just as quickly. He has always flashed talent in his career but has never been good for any substantial amount of time.

I don't know what the Rangers will do with him but I doubt that a few good games in Hartford will change their minds.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hartford is 5th in the Atlantic division. The top 6 teams make it. They have 70 points. Springfield, whom they just lost to the other day, is in 7th place with 63 points. Both teams have 8 games remaining.

Both teams play Wednesday. Hartford is home against Bridgeport, one of the worst teams in the league. They've got 3 more games against Charlotte, whom they can never beat, 2 more games against Springfield, and games against Providence and Wilkes-Barre.

If Hartford can find a way to beat Springfield twice in regulation, they are all but guaranteed to get in. Not that it will matter much if they keep playing the way they have been. They can't defend for a full 60 minutes, most games, and they can't score at any time. 17 goals in their last 11 games, with 5 of those goals coming in a loss to Rochester.

They've lost some key players, but they shouldn't be this bad with the players they have.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hartford is 5th in the Atlantic division. The top 6 teams make it. They have 70 points. Springfield, whom they just lost to the other day, is in 7th place with 63 points. Both teams have 8 games remaining.

Both teams play Wednesday. Hartford is home against Bridgeport, one of the worst teams in the league. They've got 3 more games against Charlotte, whom they can never beat, 2 more games against Springfield, and games against Providence and Wilkes-Barre.

If Hartford can find a way to beat Springfield twice in regulation, they are all but guaranteed to get in. Not that it will matter much if they keep playing the way they have been. They can't defend for a full 60 minutes, most games, and they can't score at any time. 17 goals in their last 11 games, with 5 of those goals coming in a loss to Rochester.

They've lost some key players, but they shouldn't be this bad with the players they have.
For some reason this situational math used to come easier to me - obvious sign my brain is getting slower haha, but if Springfield goes 6:2 in the last 8, Hartford just needs to be better than 2:6 there

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW Domingue has been out--Garand has lost his last 6 games. If he were playing better Lindbom wouldn't be getting starts now. Garand's faced 155 shots in those 6 losses and given up 27 goals. The Pack has been missing a number of key defenders but that's still not good. Lindbom in his 6 appearances is 1-3-1 this year for the Pack but so far in his 329 minutes played and lately working with the same D issues as Garand has a 2.37 GAA and a .916 save %. Will that last if he gets more starts? Probably not but the reason he's getting games now is he's playing better than Garand is.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
guess Domingue is healthy
interesting they send Berzolla somewhere other than Cincy this time
but team knows him in Florida, he had signed there out of CC, 3 years back

UPDATE: just saw Mancini signed w NYR, makes sense Pack adding if sending Berzolla away
and Siedem just left Pack as well to finish classes at Notre Dame

UPDATE 2: Alex Thomas tweet explains the Berzolla situation: "
Alex Thomas @AlexThomasHWP
As the Pack get healthier, the roster sees some movement.
Lindbom had been strong as of late, including his first career AHL win (37 svs @ BEL 3/24). He returns to Cincy.
Berzolla (1 g, 17 GP) reports to ECHL FLA after they acquired his ECHL rights from Cincy on 3/21.

Last edited:

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Lots of discussion about the Pack's current slump and reasons for it.

Having watched some of the Pack's games/periods and most of the highlights that Clark Kellogg provides I wanted to provide my thoughts on the recent problems.

Coaching -- Some have complained that Smith is no Knoblauch. But if this were true why were the Pack doing reasonably well (not great but in solid playoff position) for most of the year including after Smith took over. And it's not like Knoblauch's years were hugely successful. During one year the Pack completely collapsed under Knoblauch and missed the playoffs. I'm not in the locker room and am in no position to evaluate the coaches but the records don't indicate Smith is the problem.

Goaltending -- It's true that Garand has been the goalie during this bad stretch but in the games I've watched he's been hung out to dry an awful lot and the Pack aren't scoring much leaving very little margin for error. I'm not arguing that Garand has been at the top of his game but I don't think he is a major problem.

Defensemen -- I thought this position was going to be the strength of the team coming into the year. But with the loss of Emberson to waivers, Harpur's season long injury, Mackay's call up and subsequent injury and the recent call up of Scanlon, the strength has turned out to be a weakness. Robertson is inconsistent at best, Hallowell is good offensively and Broulliard has some offense to his game but both are not strong defensively, Hilman has not played as well as he did last year down the stretch (he paired with Scanlin and they were excellent). Mackay is back and Scanlin was returned today by the Rangers. That should tighten up the defense.

Centers -- I think the biggest problem with the forward group has been the centers. At the beginning of the year Brodzinski and Nash were very effective. But Brodzinski is called up and Nash had a long term injury and is back but not as effective and the Pack are getting very little creativity and play from the remaining centers. In fact, excluding Nic Petan who has only been with the Pack for several games, Johny Brodzinski, who played in inly 16 Pack games, is still the sixth leading scorer. For a good portion of the year, Leschyschen, Henriksson and Korczak have been three of the Pack's four centers. The output is not good.

Player Games Goals Assists Points +/- SOG PP Points
Leschyschen 40 6 10 16 -9 56 5
Henriksson 58 11 10 21 3 83 3
Korczak 60 8 10 18 -3 86 6

This is Henriksson''s second year. He's barely improved on last year's totals even thought he has been given much more responsibility this year. And none of them are generating much in the way of shots ( a little more than 1 per game), assists (they're all tied for 11th on the team) or even strength points.

Mackay and Scanlin will help with the problems from the defensemen but it's hard to be optimistic that the center play will improve and give the offense a shot in the arm.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Having watched some of the Pack's games/periods and most of the highlights that Clark Kellogg provides I wanted to provide my thoughts on the recent problems.

Coaching -- Some have complained that Smith is no Knoblauch. But if this were true why were the Pack doing reasonably well (not great but in solid playoff position) for most of the year including after Smith took over. And it's not like Knoblauch's years were hugely successful. During one year the Pack completely collapsed under Knoblauch and missed the playoffs. I'm not in the locker room and am in no position to evaluate the coaches but the records don't indicate Smith is the problem.

Goaltending -- It's true that Garand has been the goalie during this bad stretch but in the games I've watched he's been hung out to dry an awful lot and the Pack aren't scoring much leaving very little margin for error. I'm not arguing that Garand has been at the top of his game but I don't think he is a major problem.

Defensemen -- I thought this position was going to be the strength of the team coming into the year. But with the loss of Emberson to waivers, Harpur's season long injury, Mackay's call up and subsequent injury and the recent call up of Scanlon, the strength has turned out to be a weakness. Robertson is inconsistent at best, Hallowell is good offensively and Broulliard has some offense to his game but both are not strong defensively, Hilman has not played as well as he did last year down the stretch (he paired with Scanlin and they were excellent). Mackay is back and Scanlin was returned today by the Rangers. That should tighten up the defense.

Centers -- I think the biggest problem with the forward group has been the centers. At the beginning of the year Brodzinski and Nash were very effective. But Brodzinski is called up and Nash had a long term injury and is back but not as effective and the Pack are getting very little creativity and play from the remaining centers. In fact, excluding Nic Petan who has only been with the Pack for several games, Johny Brodzinski, who played in inly 16 Pack games, is still the sixth leading scorer. For a good portion of the year, Leschyschen, Henriksson and Korczak have been three of the Pack's four centers. The output is not good.

This is Henriksson''s second year. He's barely improved on last year's totals even thought he has been given much more responsibility this year. And none of them are generating much in the way of shots ( a little more than 1 per game), assists (they're all tied for 11th on the team) or even strength points.

Mackay and Scanlin will help with the problems from the defensemen but it's hard to be optimistic that the center play will improve and give the offense a shot in the arm.
I think this assessment is spot on.

I'm sure other teams have suffered from attrition as well, but maybe not to the same degree.

The good thing is we still have a 7-point lead on Springfield with 8 games to go. We should still get in. Hopefully the team will find a way to raise their level of play going into the playoffs, though I'm not expecting miracles at this point.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

thanks for taking the time

i have been one of the folks wishing Drury had eventually hired an experienced coach by now for Pack.
Not strictly about KK vs SS,
As mentioned, and we've lived through, under KK they had some similarly miserable stretch runs.
Just that maybe a more seasoned HC might have had some 'tactics' to break the tailspin or weather the roster attrition.

I am always optimistic about the kids.
I remain that way about Henriksson and Korczak.
Not every player quickly becomes the whole pro they will become.
The pitcher who threw Monday's no-hitter didn't even sign with a MLB team until age 22, is already 30, and has only 8 MLB starts.
Both guys are just finishing their 2nd full NA pro seasons.
but certainly true MOST of the young guys (ie all but Berard and Brennan) are contributing less scoring than needed

FYI - interesting 'fact'(I didn't verify) re game rosters and Bobby T
1712159633464.png

the team has been hot-and cold most of the season,
although the recent O drought has been extreme, with only 1 game of more than 3 goals scored for after Mar 8

Anyway, like y'all, i am hoping for a strong finish with Mackey, Scanlin, Domingue back, urgency as season wraps, and energy from the recent arrivals

starting tonight!

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack lose 4-1 against last place Bridgeport. None of the goals were Garand's fault. Defensive lapses by Berard, Mackay and Hollowell (-4 but only responsible for one goal). Korczak scores on a nice wrist shot for the Pack's lone goal.

Mancini was even with two shots and Chmelar was -1 with no shots. Mancini paired with Broulliard and Chmelar on a line with Blidh and Henriksson.

Off to Charlotte for two games. Charlotte has dominated the Pack this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad