News Article: Hard for Lundqvist to "picture myself playing elsewhere"

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not sure what you think makes those cities all 'better' than Pittsburgh. If you put elite goaltending on the Penguins they would be scary good.

Pittsburgh is one of the cruddiest cities I've ever been to, slightly lagging behind Detroit and Cleveland.

If he wants to go there to win, I understand, but he also has to live there, which would suck.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Pittsburgh is one of the cruddiest cities I've ever been to, slightly lagging behind Detroit and Cleveland.

If he wants to go there to win, I understand, but he also has to live there, which would suck.
I really can't imagine Lundqvist living in Pittsburgh. Do you think John McEnroe is going to commute to Pittsburgh to jam?

As far as what is meant by Pittsburgh can't afford Lundqvist, they have $53,625,000 committed to 12 players for 2014-15.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

You're seriously over-rating the aspects of the city itself when it comes to what team a player is on. Like you said, Detroit is at the bottom of the list of cities, yet the Wings have attracted and kept players, and maintained a level of excellence Ranger fans can only dream about.

The money is just as green in every city.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You're seriously over-rating the aspects of the city itself when it comes to what team a player is on. Like you said, Detroit is at the bottom of the list of cities, yet the Wings have attracted and kept players, and maintained a level of excellence Ranger fans can only dream about.

Not Toronto.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
As far as what is meant by Pittsburgh can't afford Lundqvist, they have $53,625,000 committed to 12 players for 2014-15.

They have Fleury under contract for one more year in 2014-15 for $5 million, so...they amnesty Fleury, pay Hank an extra $3-4 million, the salary cap goes up to make up for most or all of the difference...good to go.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Detroit has been a top notch team for years. Its a bit of a different situation when you're either a home grown player thats used to that environment, or a mercenary looking for a title (like Lundqvist would be, which is why I wouldnt rule anything out).

But I think you're severely undervaluing the fact that players need to uproot their families and actually live in these places.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Detroit has been a top notch team for years. Its a bit of a different situation when you're either a home grown player thats used to that environment, or a mercenary looking for a title (like Lundqvist would be, which is why I wouldnt rule anything out).

But I think you're severely undervaluing the fact that players need to uproot their families and actually live in these places.

I think you're severely overvaluing the effect of how nice a city is that a player plays in.

The Wings have had plenty of free agent signings over the years, including Stephen Weiss this summer. I'm sure for the kind of money he's being paid Weiss will find a beautiful place to live in the Detroit area.

It's not like Hank lives (or probably has ever stepped foot in) the worst areas of New York...Hunts Point, Bed-Stuy, etc. His salary affords him a posh place to live, just like it would in any other city.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think you're severely overvaluing the effect of how nice a city is that a player plays in.

The Wings have had plenty of free agent signings over the years, including Stephen Weiss this summer. I'm sure for the kind of money he's being paid Weiss will find a beautiful place to live in the Detroit area.

It's not like Hank lives (or probably has ever stepped foot in) the worst areas of New York...Hunts Point, Bed-Stuy, etc. His salary affords him a posh place to live, just like it would in any other city.
I've been to neither city, but surely the posh places of NYC are a lot more posh than those of Pittsburgh, right?

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Mrs Lundqvist will have a say too. Hanks entering the family stage. There are many factors to consider.

Fact is he can pick his team. Most teams would move a mountain of cap space to land Lundqvist next summer. He's getting paid regardless.

The question hockey wise is where is his best chance to win?

Pittsburgh has Cros and Malkin and they still dont win.
Chicago and Bs are stacked and yea they have won, but repeat?

Chasing the roster spot on the next champion is risky?

Winning in NY? A homegrown star? He would be a GOD.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
I've been to neither city, but surely the posh places of NYC are a lot more posh than those of Pittsburgh, right?

Not really. Detroit has amazing neighborhoods as well.

But NYC is really one of a kind. It's an INTERNATIONAL mecca.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Ms Lundqvist will have a say too. Hanks entering the family stage. There are many factors to consider.

Fact is he can pick his team. Most teams would move a mountain of cap space to land Lundqvist next summer. He's getting paid regardless.

The question hockey wise is where is his best chance to win?

Pittsburgh has Cros and Malkin and they still dont win.
Chicago and Bs are stacked and yea they have won, but repeat?

Chasing the roster spot on the next champion is risky?

Winning in NY? A homegrown star? He would be a GOD.
Bruins just signed a goalie for $49 million, so there's that.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

Actually, money buys a lot more in any price range in Pittsburgh and the surrounding suburbs, compared to NY and it's surrounding suburbs. You can get a lot more for the same price.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Actually, money buys a lot more in any price range in Pittsburgh and the surrounding suburbs, compared to NY and it's surrounding suburbs. You can get a lot more for the same price.
Doesn't answer the question at all.

But yes, of course houses are more expensive in great areas than ****** ones.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

You ain't kidding. Pittsburgh is just about as blue collar as it gets, and the city and its businesses mirror that.

I cant picture Lundqvist's impeccable fashion sense meshing well anywhere in Pittsburgh, but stranger things have happened.

I do think the argument that rich people can live anywhere and it makes no difference to them is pretty absurd.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Doesn't answer the question at all.

But yes, of course houses are more expensive in great areas than ****** ones.

Doubtful Crosby or Malkin live in a ****** area.

Or probably any of the Penguins for that matter.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Bed-Stuy? A bad area? Houses have sold there for over $2 million this year. But, over all I agree with you--where a player plays is secondary to the team he's on.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

No, I'm sure I would be comfortable there.

This guy, though?

lundqvist.jpg

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Lundqvist is not in the fashion industry, he's a hockey player. His goal is to win a Stanley Cup and continue to earn money. I have no doubt that he will sign with the team that gives him a chance to win and a large payday. If he decides he has to move to achieve those goals, I'm sure he will. He can always retire to the place he loves most (wherever that is). He'll certainly have enough money to pick anywhere in the world.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
You ain't kidding. Pittsburgh is just about as blue collar as it gets, and the city and its businesses mirror that.

I cant picture Lundqvist's impeccable fashion sense meshing well anywhere in Pittsburgh, but stranger things have happened.

I do think the argument that rich people can live anywhere and it makes no difference to them is pretty absurd.

i think pittsburgh has been a significantly more attractive for young people in recent years. i enjoyed the times ive been to pitt.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Dancing around the issue.

Pittsburgh is not New York. Period. Yes, you can live like a king in either city, or many, many other cities, if you make millions of dollars a year. But, if you're interested in fashion, for example, Pittsburgh isn't New York. If you're interested in film, Pitt isn't New York. If you're interested in architecture, Pitt isn't New York.

The fact is, none none of us know what is most important to Hank. If you're a regular joe, making 10 million dollars and living in a cave sounds nice. But, if you have every city with an NHL team open to you, and are used to living in New York, and you care about cultural things that New York has in spades and other cities lack, the differences are meaningful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad