News Article: Hard for Lundqvist to "picture myself playing elsewhere"

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Except more than half of the hockey fans in the NYC area would hate him. I think it's the one team Lundqvist wouldn't go near.

You could make an argument about the Devils as well. Bottom line is that 2 out of the 3 local fan bases alreadly hate Lundqvist. Regardless of who he winds up playing for it will always be that way. Lundqvist will do what's best for him & him alone. The fan's opinion of him isn't even a distant 2nd or 3rd.

This can be said of every player playing a professional sport.If lockouts & work stopages have taught us anything the past 20 years is that sports is a business first & foremost now.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
You could make an argument about the Devils as well. Bottom line is that 2 out of the 3 local fan bases alreadly hate Lundqvist. Regardless of who he winds up playing for it will always be that way. Lundqvist will do what's best for him & him alone. The fan's opinion of him isn't even a distant 2nd or 3rd.

This can be said of every player playing a professional sport.If lockouts & work stopages have taught us anything the past 20 years is that sports is a business first & foremost now.

Except it can't, because these are human beings we're talking about not robots. Hank very well could care a lot about the fans opinion of him. Then again he might not care at all, in the end does it weigh in enough to become a deciding factor? Probably not.

Regardless, there are individuals out there who see more than just dollar signs. I understand the gut wrench reaction, we're all a little jaded from the lockouts, but I think in this case it's an unfair generalization.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Legacy, winning, money, quality of life. All of these things are potential factors for ANY player. Any statement about which factor is more important to Lundqvist is mere conjecture at this point.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Legacy, winning, money, quality of life. All of these things are potential factors for ANY player. Any statement about which factor is more important to Lundqvist is mere conjecture at this point.

It serves as a buffer in the case he does leave, then people will remember the discussions we had and how it was suggested he was self centered and didn't care about the fans. People will then cling to that and we'll read it a gagillion times around here because it will make it easier for them to come to grasps with him leaving.

For the record, I don't see him leaving.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

What I was saying is that Ranger fans (who are the majority of hockey fans in NYC) would hate Lundqvist if he signed as a free agent with the Isles.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Brooklyn is still considered NY. It could happen. Hank get;s everythig he wants. Money, power, young team with a bona fide superstar, access to Manhattan etc. He really could have his cake & eat it too.

I don't think Hank cares about whether or not there's a "bona fide superstar" on a team, nor would I imagine he cares how old a team is. If anything, he wants a team that's close to winning. I don't think the Isles are closer than the Rangers in any way.

Mr Atoz*

Brooklyn is still considered NY. It could happen. Hank get;s everythig he wants. Money, power, young team with a bona fide superstar, access to Manhattan etc. He really could have his cake & eat it too.

Not only do big free agents not sign with the islanders, players who are traded there refuse to report. The only free agents that do sign there are players that really don't have other options. They may have a brighter future now that they have a long contract with an arena, but they're still at the bottom of the league financially.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Not only do big free agents not sign with the islanders, players who are traded there refuse to report. The only free agents that do sign there are players that really don't have other options. They may have a brighter future now that they have a long contract with an arena, but they're still at the bottom of the league financially.

I agree, however things change. It just takes one big free agent signing with the Islanders to make them legit. They have been putting pieces together for a while now. I don't know if they can put it all together with what they have & i'm not concerned about that right Now. What I am concerned about is what it's going to take to keep Lundqvist here.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
A six year extension takes Lundqvist to 38.

And that's about what he should get. This talk of 7 or 8 year extensions seem silly to me...particularly when people are also expecting him to get 8M/year. If he's holding out for 9M it should be for a 4 or 5 year deal bringing him to UFA at age 36 or 37.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And that's about what he should get. This talk of 7 or 8 year extensions seem silly to me...particularly when people are also expecting him to get 8M/year. If he's holding out for 9M it should be for a 4 or 5 year deal bringing him to UFA at age 36 or 37.

Those #'s seem quite light to me.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

I'm hoping for a 5-year $42.5 million contract ($8.5/year). Then he will sign one more short term contract, and retire.

If I was Lundqvist, I wouldn't be signing for anything less than $8 million. That would be the bare minimum to peak my interest with goalies like Smith and Howard getting $5.2-5.6 million, Crawford getting $6 million, and goalies like Rask with no substantial sample size making $7 million.

Will he sign at a discount? Probably not. Look at Giroux, he didn't. Would the Flyers be more successful if he did? Yes, but he signed at $8.25m/year.

Lundqvist is going to sign at a minimum of $8 million and probably be closer to $9 million given these current deals. Based on the current market, his $8-9 million salary would be valid because he is far better and proven to carry a crap team to the post season than any goaltender who have received these ridiculous contracts.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Lundqvist is going to sign at a minimum of $8 million and probably be closer to $9 million given these current deals. Based on the current market, his $8-9 million salary would be valid because he is far better and proven to carry a crap team to the post season than any goaltender who have received these ridiculous contracts.

The Rangers are not a crap team, so Lundqvist hasn't been carrying a crap team to the postseason. Since the lockout the Rangers have varied from OK to pretty good.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The Rangers are not a crap team, so Lundqvist hasn't been carrying a crap team to the postseason. Since the lockout the Rangers have varied from OK to pretty good.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The Rangers have had some okay teams, solid teams, and even GOOD teams (11-12 really was a solid team).

This season, I thought we were the definition of mediocrity. We had no business being in the post season. 08-09? That team was a pretty bad team. Players like Dubinsky and a declining Naslund were the top producers.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Will he sign at a discount? Probably not. Look at Giroux, he didn't. Would the Flyers be more successful if he did? Yes, but he signed at $8.25m/year.

I'm not suggesting that Lundqvist will take a discount, but Giroux is a poor comparison and not a good guy to use for your arguement. He really hasn't had his pay day yet and is only 25.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
The whole point of much of this thread is...well...pointless. Henrik Lundqvist, as any UFA, will want a lot of money. Glen Sather is well-known throughout the NHL for overspending on UFA's.

Done.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The whole point of much of this thread is...well...pointless. Henrik Lundqvist, as any UFA, will want a lot of money. Glen Sather is well-known throughout the NHL for overspending on UFA's.

Done.

I think Sather has been quite frugal with his internal free agents. He loves himself a shiny new toy.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This Lundqvist is everywhere

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/henrik-lundqvist-interview-barneys-0813

Yesterday

http://instagram.com/p/dz5Hv4r-YQ/

He was interviewed by Fran Healy

http://instagram.com/p/dzyAygL-ej/

http://instagram.com/p/dz2ChFL-UB/

Healy interviewed Henrik a few years ago.

Henrik will be on an ABC show called The Chew. Its a food show.

He did the Fox show with Regis last week.
Lundqvist loves attention.

That's ok, Pittsburgh will give him the same thing.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I think Sather has been quite frugal with his internal free agents. He loves himself a shiny new toy.

It's not about internal/external, it's about Sather being frugal with players he holds leverage over (internal RFA's, etc.), and overpaying for UFA's, whether internal or external. Michal Rozsival was in internal UFA, and the contract Sather gave him was horrible and hurt us in the long run.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It's not about internal/external, it's about Sather being frugal with players he holds leverage over (internal RFA's, etc.), and overpaying for UFA's, whether internal or external. Michal Rozsival was in internal UFA, and the contract Sather gave him was horrible and hurt us in the long run.

Rozsival's contract wasn't that bad. He caught the fans' ire because he was soft, but he was a solid D-man. He was slightly overpaid, sure, but it hardly hurt us in the long run.

Which players did we lose because of Rozsival? It was the Drury/Redden contracts that hurt.

Hell, Sather found a way to sign Kotalik for $3M/year despite Rozi's contract. If you have the room to do that, overpaying a #3 defenceman isn't a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00