Post-Game Talk: Happy Holiday special from Talbot and Teddy!! 3-1 Oil

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I gif'd it but it's also at the end of the NHL.com highlights. What a POS Scheifele is.

Slewfoot with three seconds left:

EJuXsUV.gif

Nurse punches his bucket off:

b4unQlQ.gif

lol at the helmet rattling around.

Look at nurse's left foot when he falls. Barf.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Hall is on another planet right now, one of the best in the league, all those people wanting him gone should be embarrassed. he's making everyone around him 2 times better.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They need to break that line up Pouliot is beyond useless and Something is up with RNH. He looks pathetic out there this year. Put Eberle with Korpikoski and Lander, run RNH between Hendricks and Pakarainen and drop Pouliot down to the 4th line with Letestu and Klinkhammer. When McDavid comes back put him between Korpikoski and Eberle. Yakupov can play with Hendricks and RNH. Lander and Klinkhammer come out of the lineup. Something like this:

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Yakupov-Mcdavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Korpikowski
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarainen

Hopefully Pouliot gets the message and starts banging bodies again.

Swapped Yakupov and Korpikowski, then swapped Pouliot and Hendricks from your original lineup. This second line could either be magic or an absolute disaster if they get the wrong matchup. Pouliot just came back from injury but he's better then a 4th line forward. Korpikowski on the third line is the fursthest up the line up he should be.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Man what a POS Sheiffle is (I don't care to look for the rejects correct spelling).

Almost had another guy taken out with a blatant cheap shot.

Then the Jets had the gall to get angry with Nurse lol.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Swapped Yakupov and Korpikowski, then swapped Pouliot and Hendricks from your original lineup. This second line could either be magic or an absolute disaster if they get the wrong matchup. Pouliot just came back from injury but he's better then a 4th line forward. Korpikowski on the third line is the fursthest up the line up he should be.

I was going off effort levels. Really I wouldn't mind Hendricks or Korpikoski on the second line as both are big bodies who can retrieve the puck and crash the net. Yak could move up but I see him needing some time to adjust. Basically I want to see even more accountability, Pouliot and RNH have been playing like garbage and should be moved down the lineup to send a message.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I would not mind seeing Eberle with McDavid, but Yak would have to be on the LW because of the battle and energy he brings. I couldn't care less about Pouliot since has been terribly mediocre this season. He was a passenger at best even with McDavid and Yak. He's playing like old Purcell.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
pathetic win. I was embarrassed to be a fan. I'd rather lose playing hard then win like this. ****ing garbage

Give me a break. A good chunk of posters on this site are alway scared to celebrate a win that wasn't deserved because they feel it will impact their credibility on this site......

Bottom line - this team has sucked for 10 years and is currently dealing with an injury crisis so I suggest taking every and any point we can get. I will worry about us playing quality hockey in 2 years........right now I am jut hoping we survive until we are healthy and by some miracle are playing games that matter in March and April

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Saying that you pop into threads was a poor choice of words on my part. I know that you're not a drive by poster so apologies about that.

These guys aren't pulling their weight. They have actually been called out by Mclellan and even Chia on several occasions (not by name but pretty obvious that they were the ones being called out).

This team can't succeed for any sustained period if RNH and Eberle continue to not only get outscored severely but also out-possessioned severely pretty much every game. You could point to their point totals but for every goal they score, it seems like they give up 2 against. It's not nearly good enough for players who should be held to a higher standard, not nearly good enough.
But the thing is they've had success (in as much as anyone playing for the Oilers has had success) for more than a few years.
Its not like these are unknown commodities to the fan base, or they shouldn't be.

I'm concerned about the way the board will cheer these guys lustily for years. Hiss hiss, dat Schultz, etc etc and then just turn on them viciously after a stretch of weak performances. Its really low on the loyalty scale imo. I said it the other day. Since the (various) GM(s) have seen fit to bring in zero useful defencemen over the past decade, and they lucked out on McDavid, its obvious one of Eberle /RNH is probably going to be/should be traded for a defenceman. I can recognize that fact without calling Eberle a pustule or RNH a little girl.

You mention a higher standard, and I get that for RNH because he's a first overall, but Eberle was the steal of his draft. I'd say he's performed at a level comparable to all the other first overall picks the Oilers have, and maybe better. What kind of standard do you expect from the guy? Six million standard? Yeah, he's paid more than I'd like, but we had nitwits running the show as you well know. Katz actually believed he could just draft first for a few years , pay the boys, build his rink and sit back and bask in the glow of Stanleys and an adoring public. I honestly believe that was as far as the plan went. I mean Katz is a businessman after all; how long does an "Oil Change" take? And to be fair, most of the board was in favor of those deals and even went so far as to say they would be a "steal".

I appreciate the shout back and the clarification. But RNH and Eberle would need to fall a lot further before you'll see me turn on them. I'll try to respond to the most egregious hyperbole only, but honestly, even though I don't love Nuge, never did, I feel compelled to say something when people call him a bum. Point out, as Replacement does for example, that he's been on ice for an alarming number of GA, and nobody will take exception. But don't just call him a bum.

Hall is on another planet right now, one of the best in the league, all those people wanting him gone should be embarrassed. he's making everyone around him 2 times better.
No ****.

But some people (not all) magically forget when they spent five years trashing a player and act like nothing ever happened ... move on to the next target.
And call it "serious discussion" from atop their imaginary high horse. :biglaugh:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
At this point I don't care about "moral victories". After 10 years I just want this team to start winning. And if you're going to win, show some darn pride at least. Tonight was an embarrassing performance and it was embarrassing to be a fan with that garbage product on the ice tonight. I have absolutely no problem saying it because I believe it's true. Had they lost they would have been booed off the ice. Hell, there were a spatter of light boos throughout the night as the game progressed because they couldn't even get out of their own zone even after numerous attempts.

Thankfully with the break we'll get some healthy bodies back but for the love of God, show some effort in your next game will you? This team will never break their old habits.

requirements for a win:

1. must score more goals then the competition in the alotted time.

yeah, I know, blah, blah, blah. everything else is immaterial.

you guys whom are embarrassed by the Oilers for not winning good enough should stop watching sports (I'd use far more profane words if I wouldn't get a warning). When you are embarrassed when your team wins, you really need to re-evalute what being fan is, because you clearly have lost your way.

Seriously, go look in the mirror and say to yourself: 'Self, I'm might be way off on this one'.

Then, go watch a Rocky movie, or WWE. Real sports is not for you. Seriously, I'm trying help you.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Oilers have scored at basically the same rate with Eberle on the ice as they have with Gazdic on the ice at 5v5.

That line definitely isn't making up for it defensively either.

It makes it pretty tough to win games when your second line has a 25 GF%.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'd be more angsty about the these rope a dope wins if I didn't think it was ASTOUNDING that they win at all, let alone are 7-3 in December, considering their situation.

http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-december-19-2015/

2nd in man games lost, 1st in cumulative impact of those injuries to skaters. The Oilers SHOULD take a huge hit in shots and scoring chances, it'd be expected of a legitimately great team, let alone a bubble squad. It's a damned Christmas miracle that they are 7-3 in December and it probably indicates there are some really terrific things happening along with the bad.

The Klefbom injury just hurts a bit more than any other, even the McDavid injury.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Its fine to get mad over a garbage win. But the "I'm embarrassed to be a fan" is so comical. How many games have we seen the oilers play well and still lose giving us a damn moral victory?
I'll take garbage wins over moral victories any single day. It gives us points and another added to the win column. You know, points and wins that help the oilers make the playoffs rather than "I thought we played well, but unfortunately, we couldn't get the 2 points."

I'm embarrassed that these guys that are embarrassed by a win have the same number of chromosomes as I do!!! (or do they?)

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
If we can torch the Nucks and douse the Flames, I foresee some delicious delicious playoff crow.

Also, please McDavid come back bae

We then get 6 at home. LA ANA ARZ CAR TB FLA. None of them are back to back. You have to figure we might get some tired teams coming in. Hall wanted games that meant something in January, here is your chance

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Didn't watch the game, but just looking at the shot totals indicates the Oilers are fortunate to get the win.

This team needs to get healthy and RNH/Eberle need to start playing with some intensity. Still hoping for a trade involving RNH/Eberle for a good Dman.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Great job by Talbot. Give him another start. That's basically exactly how Nilsson looked not long ago so while it's nice, I'm not holding my breath yet,

Awfully gross win, but I'll take it. Every line outside of the first is an abomination. Massive holes on this roster still. Need Yak and McDavid bad. Oh and about 4 more defensemen.

well the nice thing is that we'll be getting 2 back (hopefully) after the break in klefbom and davdison... i agree we need another 2 after that, but baby steps, lol

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
At the beginning of December I would have been happy to have the record we have right now going into the Christmas break. Our schedule gets a bit easier going forward.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I gif'd it but it's also at the end of the NHL.com highlights. What a POS Scheifele is.

Slewfoot with three seconds left:

EJuXsUV.gif

The slew-foot is a dangerous attempt to injure. When Cherry said they injured McDavid intentionally it sounded like a loony conspiracy theory, but if Nurse had gone out after that play that would have made at least FIVE top Oiler players injured this year by reckless BS from another team.

Everyone is talking about getting our players back and getting everyone healthy and how much fun it's going to be. If we continue to see roughly one play like this per game (from the likes of Scheifele, Comeau and Phaneuf) we will never have a full lineup.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Nilsson looked this dominant not too many games ago. Still up in the air.

Team played like garbage tonight, Talbot stole this game. Teddy P!!

Also - said we were gonna get destroyed tonight, welp, happy to eat crow on that one. A win is a win.

It is nice though when the hot goalie cooled down, that the other goalie stepped it up big time. that is encouraging to see and is something the Oilers haven't had in a long time.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
pathetic win. I was embarrassed to be a fan. I'd rather lose playing hard then win like this. ****ing garbage

disagree.
moral victories are garbage and for losers. we've had years of it and they make me sick.

At this point I'll take crappy undeserved wins every single time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
disagree.
moral victories are garbage and for losers. we've had years of it and they make me sick.

At this point I'll take crappy undeserved wins every single time.

We had a lot of those last year. They sure helped.

It's fine to get these every so often but the past few wins have been hardly deserved. It's kind of concerning that we're often getting horrendously outplayed in our own rink.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
This was one game that after watching, the thought came to me that if I'm half upset about the loss I'm sure most Oilers fans are only half happy about the victory. After reading a few responses ITT it would appear I was mostly correct.

Talbot was outstanding. Seemed like first half of the game he was making reactionary/lucky saves, then as the shots continued to pour in he improved positionally and his saves were a little more routine (as routine as they can be in a 44 save performance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad