Nurse-Sekera
Klefbom-Schultz
Davidson-Fayne
Nikitin

its not great but a lot better than what we have

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Also corsi includes shot attempts.

What do you mean "includes?" That's literally all it is.

Our top lines main defensive strength is they keep shots to the outside and instead of prevent shots, they make the majority of them very low chance, which would give them a bad corsi.

As I mentioned before, they also gave up more prime scoring opportunities than the second line, so how does that square with your theory?

The second line was not without its struggles (Eberle's boneheaded icing with the goalie out probably resulted in an additional five or six Jets shots and at least one decent scoring chance against that he won't get dinged for), but I don't know why it's so hard to concede that they sawed off the competition in spite of that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What do you mean "includes?" That's literally all it is.

As I mentioned before, they also gave up more prime scoring opportunities than the second line, so how does that square with your theory?

The second line was not without its struggles (Eberle's boneheaded icing with the goalie out probably resulted in an additional five or six Jets shots and at least one decent scoring chance against that he won't get dinged for), but I don't know why it's so hard to concede that they sawed off the competition in spite of that.
They played more against the top line then the 2nd line did and the 2nd line gave chances to everyone?

Stats tell you things but if you watched the game there is no way with a straight face you can say that the 2nd line was better defensively then the top line.

Also, how many of these scoring chances were caused by the too line and not the defenders? Not nearly as many as the 2nd line. That's the problem with stat counting

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nurse is quickly becoming my favorite Oiler... I wanted the Oil to draft him, and I have not been disappointed. He has the edge this team has needed for a long time, I only wish others would follow.

I second your statement...obviously the defensive side is progressing, but he doesn't take **** from anyone and backs it up. He understands what it means to be a good teammate and sticks up for anyone in an Oilers jersey. Loved how he drilled Scheiffle with a straight right after the slew foot and spun his bucket around. Thanks to the poster who gif'd that:laugh:.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Last thing about the stats thing. You know where Hall and Drai had HALF their high quality chances against? That first awful pp.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
They played more against the top line then the 2nd line did and the 2nd line gave chances to everyone?

OK: prove it.

Stats tell you things but if you watched the game there is no way with a straight face you can say that the 2nd line was better defensively then the top line.

Who said that was the case? Sure wasn't me.

Also, how many of these scoring chances were caused by the too line and not the defenders? Not nearly as many as the 2nd line.

OK: prove it.

That's the problem with stat counting

Whereas watching the game always produces reliable conclusions? C'mon.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
31741c33b60d593a2c28906fc3912392.jpg

Nobody really drove possession after the Oilers made it 3-0.

Now thats a reference!:handclap:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Glad to see Purcell shooting on that first shot. I guarantee last season or before Oates that would've been a pass to nobody.

Edit: first goal*

oilz89*

Guys I'm pretty sure if Nikitin and Fayne hadn't played we'd have played better. We have no Davidson, Klefbom(most valuable dman) right now. Imagine if we had played them instead of those all stars NN and Fayne. We'd have better passing, more speed, BETTER defending. Oh and lets not forget if we had McDavid and Yak back. We'd have more scoring lines instead of Gazdic

Gambl0r83*

Welp, every team playing in our division tonight has won. The division is starting to wake up, this is going to be harder than 'only being 4 points of out a playoff spot' sounds

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Welp, every team playing in our division tonight has won. The division is starting to wake up, this is going to be harder than 'only being 4 points of out a playoff spot' sounds

Teams winning a game doesn't equate to "waking up". Everybody who isn't the Oilers and the Flames are .500 or worse in the last 10 games or so and only the Flames are really streaking.

LOTS of inter-divisional games coming up too. Crunch time.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Just give me the W, I don't care how they come. In a win, there is always going to be a star that really helped to get the W. On this night it was Talbot (plus the top line).

Think of this: When McDavid comes back, he'll be the third best forward on this team. 3rd! Love Hall and Drai!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just give me the W, I don't care how they come. In a win, there is always going to be a star that really helped to get the W. On this night it was Talbot (plus the top line).

Think of this: When McDavid comes back, he'll be the third best forward on this team. 3rd! Love Hall and Drai!

I love Drai, but I still think McDavid looked even better in those first 13 games. The amount that he can create all by himself (Hall's speed and driving to the net creates a lot of room for Leon to find people off the rush) is truly remarkable. I don't think there will be any question who the best player on this team is as soon as next season. It just so happens we are lucky enough to have a generational centre, a franchise top 5 winger, and a future hopefully elite top 10 2-way centre. Now we just need Klef or Nurse to take those next steps and bless us with a #1 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad