Post-Game Talk: Happy Holiday special from Talbot and Teddy!! 3-1 Oil

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
We had a lot of those last year. They sure helped.

It's fine to get these every so often but the past few wins have been hardly deserved. It's kind of concerning that we're often getting horrendously outplayed in our own rink.

that I agree with. I spend a lot of time watching the game praying the oilers can eventually clear the zone.

I'm not looking up at the playoff race. I keep looking down and seeing how close the oilers are to the basement.

I did want to throw something at eberle for trying for the empty net goal instead of getting to centre ice. he had tons of room to do so. stupid, selfish play.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hall is on another planet right now, one of the best in the league, all those people wanting him gone should be embarrassed. he's making everyone around him 2 times better.

Yeah.. I'll own up to it, I was one of the ones who was willing to trade Hall for an upgrade on D...

I have never hated him, or wanted him gone, I just thought he'd give the best return and the team would be okay without him... but man was I ever wrong. I will happily chow down on this crow.

Hall has gone from our most valuable trade asset in my mind, to the most untouchable after McDavid.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
We had a lot of those last year. They sure helped.

It's fine to get these every so often but the past few wins have been hardly deserved. It's kind of concerning that we're often getting horrendously outplayed in our own rink.

Meh. Hockey gods owe us a few of these after the injuries we've had.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
that I agree with. I spend a lot of time watching the game praying the oilers can eventually clear the zone.

I'm not looking up at the playoff race. I keep looking down and seeing how close the oilers are to the basement.

I did want to throw something at eberle for trying for the empty net goal instead of getting to centre ice. he had tons of room to do so. stupid, selfish play.

I had to look away a few times because holy crap clearing the puck is just so hard for this team. Like the Oilers have two options: Throw it up the boards or throw it up the middle.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I had to look away a few times because holy crap clearing the puck is just so hard for this team. Like the Oilers have two options: Throw it up the boards or throw it up the middle.

We have one guy, maybe two, on the backend who can make a tape to tape pass even when there's no pressure, let alone under a forecheck. Biggest need by far.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
We have one guy, maybe two, on the backend who can make a tape to tape pass even when there's no pressure, let alone under a forecheck. Biggest need by far.

Agreed. We need another Dman that can make a breakout pass, but is also good at playing D.

Klefbom is decent at it, but other than that we're a throw it around the boards D group.

Nurse and Sekera are decent at skating it out though, but when the pressure if on they need to be able to find that outlet.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Yes our defense has to be league worst without Davidson (can't believe I am saying that) and Klefbom.

We need another 2 additions by next year, minimum.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
i didn't watch the game, but....

looking at advanced stats, it seems like the first line was badly outmatched by the Jets' first line, despite their productivity and praise. the second line fared a bit better aside from RNH, who likely had post-PK effects (all the PKers show -ve 5v5 corsi).

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Yes our defense has to be league worst without Davidson (can't believe I am saying that) and Klefbom.

We need another 2 additions by next year, minimum.

It's pretty pathetic how horrible a group of D MacT built. At minimum, we need to jettison Ference (buy-out), Nikitin (UFA) and Schultz (RFA) and would be nice if we could move out Fayne somehow.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They also need a Dman who can break up a cycle. The Oilers spend too much time chasing the puck so they have a whale of a time even getting the puck back when the opposition is cycling down low. They also need top pairing experience.
They need a Hamonic and a Jones. Not going to happen but those are the needs.

Feb 9, 2013
Nurse is quickly becoming my favorite Oiler... I wanted the Oil to draft him, and I have not been disappointed. He has the edge this team has needed for a long time, I only wish others would follow.

McDeathbyCheerios*

i didn't watch the game, but....

looking at advanced stats, it seems like the first line was badly outmatched by the Jets' first line, despite their productivity and praise. the second line fared a bit better aside from RNH, who likely had post-PK effects (all the PKers show -ve 5v5 corsi).

Having watched the game, corsi is a make believe stat that doesn't actually show anything that happened.

There was no way that the 2nd line was that much better then the 1st line, or better at all. Talbot had to bail out the 2 nd line so many times.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Having watched the game, corsi is a make believe stat that doesn't actually show anything that happened.

There was no way that the 2nd line was that much better then the 1st line, or better at all. Talbot had to bail out the 2 nd line so many times.

Numbers don't lie, your eyes do.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
31741c33b60d593a2c28906fc3912392.jpg

Nobody really drove possession after the Oilers made it 3-0.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I guess so? Screw numbers, the top line was able to get the puck out without creating a scoring chance against.

According to Staples' scoring chance numbers, the top line gave up six prime scoring chances to the Nuge lines four, which squares with zone time proxy above. Maybe it's time for some new glasses?

Tough to blame the line that created all three Oilers goals, but the fact remains they were outmatched for a lot of the game. Hell, the whole team was. The biggest culprit though was our third line. Awful, awful stuff from them.

McDeathbyCheerios*

According to Staples' scoring chance numbers, the top line gave up six prime scoring chances to the Nuge lines four, which squares with zone time proxy above. Maybe it's time for some new glasses?

Tough to blame the line that created all three Oilers goals, but the fact remains they were outmatched for a lot of the game. Hell, the whole team was. The biggest culprit though was our third line. Awful, awful stuff from them.
But according to those fancy numbers, our top line was easily the worst line in the game by a fair margin.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010

Super excited for McDavid - Yak to come back, and hopefully be deployed against soft matchups in the "third-line" role.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I guess so? Screw numbers, the top line was able to get the puck out without creating a scoring chance against.

I second this. The second line was hemmed in their own end for most of the game. The first line was at least creating some quality scoring chances

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also corsi includes shot attempts. Our top lines main defensive strength is they keep shots to the outside and instead of prevent shots, they make the majority of them very low chance, which would give them a bad corsi.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
And about those shots. One positive for the Oilers, though maybe more a negative for the Jets, Talbot had good views of lots of those shots. Guys were not camped in front of him for most of the game. Seemingly less deflections as well.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
But according to those fancy numbers, our top line was easily the worst line in the game by a fair margin.

Nope. The numbers say the Hendricks-Letestu-Korpse line was the worst. What the chart earlier showed was that the Hall line lost the head-to-head matchup with the Jets' top line in terms of shots while the Nuge line held serve against the Jets's second line. That's all. Nothing there to get twisted over IMO.

McDeathbyCheerios*

And about those shots. One positive for the Oilers, though maybe more a negative for the Jets, Talbot had good views of lots of those shots. Guys were not camped in front of him for most of the game. Seemingly less deflections as well.
Yep. Our team has been awful at getting the puck out but they have gotten much better at clearing room and space for the goalie to see the puck. Our top line does so and so does the Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom and sometimes Davidson.

If the goalie can see the puck 9/10 times they can stop it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad