Hanzal suspended for 2 games

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Watch Nolan's hit on Klesla, which the league considered "clean", then go back and watch Hanzal's hit again and tell me he deserves a suspension.

Is Nolan a repeat offender? I'm not trying to discount Nolan's hit, we all know how the wheel of sweet justice works with the NHL. There is zero consistency. I'm just looking at the fact he's a repeat offender, the head was the point of contact, and he left the ice before the hit. It doesn't look good for Hanzal.

The only bright side of this is that there was no apparent injury. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Petry continued to play during the game. Because of that, the suspension might not be as bad.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Hearing is in about half an hour according to McLellan so probably won't hear anything until a bit later.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Two games minimum. I am counting on Shanny to screw us. He has some personal dislike for the Coyotes organization, IMO.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It's definitely going to be a suspension. Clifford (whos hit was far cheaper and more dangerous than Hanzal's) has already been fined and does not seem to have a hearing set. Pretty clear Hanzal is going to get suspended. What a ****en joke. If you haven't seen it, Clifford stuck his leg out and nearly flipped RNH knee to knee. Just a fine.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Clifford got a fine for an obvious knee on a star player. So Hanzal getting 10 games feels about right.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
30 years from now the NHL is going to be a no contact league and the NFL will be flag football. Let the p***yfication of (north) America continue. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
30 years from now the NHL is going to be a no contact league and the NFL will be flag football. Let the p***yfication of (north) America continue. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

This is pretty sickening. In a just world, the NFL would have been disbanded long before it could inflict the sort of trauma it's left hundreds of people with. You understand that lives are being cut short by decades because of the repetitive injuries of professional football, right? Do you understand how devastating a series of concussions can be on a person, even one as physically fit as a pro hockey player?

And heading off the "But they're being paid millions of dollars and they have the choice to play or not!" chestnut, just because there are people willing to be exploited doesn't make something any less exploitative. If we got rid of child labor laws, minimum wage policies and safety regulations today, there would be 9-year-olds being paid 25 cents a week to install asbestos tomorrow. That doesn't mean we should get rid of those laws.

(We can save the raw sexism of your comment for another discussion.)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If we got rid of child labor laws, minimum wage policies and safety regulations today, there would be 9-year-olds being paid 25 cents a week to install asbestos tomorrow. That doesn't mean we should get rid of those laws.

No, there wouldn't.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers fan saying this should have been no suspension. I agree with a lot of the suspensions on open ice blindside hits to the head and hits from behind, but this was just follow through on a hit that happened to catch Petry in the head. No idea what shanhammer was thinking on this one, when Weise from Van only got 1 preseason game for his intentional blindside attempt on Hall's head.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
2 games! that is some bull ****ing ****. Shanahan has a hard on when ever he has a chance to screw the coyotes. I am trying really hard not wish terrible things on him.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Wtf? Shanny is so damn inconsistent. I can't remember the last time one of our players wasn't suspended for a borderline hit. I also can't remember the last time an opposing teams player was suspended for a borderline hit against one of our players.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That hit was a perfect example of what a two minute minor for charging looks like.

The fact that something like that has become suspension worthy is absolutely ludicrous.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
They need to start suspending for the offense, not the result. If Petry gets back up (at least, gets back up quicker), this isn't even talked about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad