Hanzal suspended for 2 games

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I've seen plenty of our players take worse hits over the last couple of years and not even a sniff at a fine. If Hanzal gets suspended especially for the upcoming Kings game I'm going to be pissed. Then again we know what a joke Shannahan is so this is entirely possible.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Haha. What? Two minute penalty was the correct call. If the officials who had a clear view of it thought it was gratuitous, they'd have called a five and a ten. They thought it was a MINOR penalty.

Why does the NHL bother having referees? They should just have Shanahan watch them all live and phone in all of the penalties. The overlord.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Exhibit A for the defense: Petry wasn't hurt and led the Oilers in ice time.
Exhibit B for the defense: What Jeff Petry did during the game LAST Saturday ...

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
What a ****en joke. I see worse hits go uncalled in pretty much every game. No way he should miss any games for this minor charge.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Ladies and gents, if you haven't been watching the NHL network or HNIC lately (among others) they and much of the media are screaming for Shanahan to get tougher on hits. Get used to this.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I have no faith on the NHL with this. Thank God there is that 3rd party appeal should it be at least 5 games.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ladies and gents, if you haven't been watching the NHL network or HNIC lately (among others) they and much of the media are screaming for Shanahan to get tougher on hits. Get used to this.

That's true and I'm trying to be objective here, but I saw this as a tall man following through on a shorter opponent - something I'm very familiar with. I can remember several times an opponent of mine arguing with the ref that my elbow was right at his head and I would butt in and say that his head was at my elbow - it's like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Didn't like hearing KT say "Martin Hanzal's hit to the head" on NHL tonight - doesn't bode well.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
LOL at all the butthurt still going on from Edmonton's end on the main board with calling Hanzal out to being a dirty playing and the refs are Anti-Edmonton.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
To be honest it seemed like he left his feet and targeted the head with shoulder/elbow. He got lucky with only a minor penalty.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This is some ****ing ******** that's all I'm going to say. And of course EDM HFers are going to scream bloody murder about it. God I want to feel sorry for that fanbase, but their perpetual butthurt makes that really hard.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
To be honest it seemed like he left his feet and targeted the head with shoulder/elbow. He got lucky with only a minor penalty.

Force of contact caused his feet to leave the ice from a gif in the main board. Really need a video to be sure. His shoulder didn't make contact with his head from what I can see. More his forearm and glove. Again, need a video to be sure.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I hate how EVERY hit that makes contact with the head now is a suspension. Sometimes (this time) a two minute penalty is the right call. Sometimes a 5 and a game is the right call. Not EVERY SINGLE time does is need to be a suspension.

If it is, players will just stop hitting all together in fear of suspension, and now were playing roller hockey.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I can't believe that's a suspension. Minor penalty, sure. Clearly not a legal hit. Maybe a double minor, for political reasons. rt has a point--you might as well just call Toronto right off, like you're reviewing a goal. If I were a ref, I'd be pissed.

It might be better just to ban checking outright. More clarity, less controversy.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
Force of contact caused his feet to leave the ice from a gif in the main board. Really need a video to be sure. His shoulder didn't make contact with his head from what I can see. More his forearm and glove. Again, need a video to be sure.

Ya, hopefully he doesn't get suspended. He's been gold for the team so far (and my fantasy team:naughty:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I can't believe that's a suspension. Minor penalty, sure. Clearly not a legal hit. Maybe a double minor, for political reasons. rt has a point--you might as well just call Toronto right off, like you're reviewing a goal. If I were a ref, I'd be pissed.

It might be better just to ban checking outright. More clarity, less controversy.

Unless the player being hit in the head, turns into or causes his own head hit, the hitting player will get suspended. The burden in on the hitting player to avoid the head. The length of the suspension will be determined by if it was intentional, leaving your feet, player hurt etc.. I think it was clearly a head hit, though not intentional, he gets 1-3 games for it.. Hope I am wrong...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Under the new rules, if a player gets called to a hearing does it automatically result in a suspension? I could have sworn I read that there will be a lot more hearings this year, but less suspensions.

http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

Martin Hanzal

Elbow to the head of

Jeff Petry

Not Injured

"Hockey Play

After a thorough review we can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This was a hockey play."

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace. Just wanted to voice my thoughts without having to deal with the main boards.

This is a farce. That hit was a minor penalty, major at most. It doesn't warrant supplemental discipline. It's so disappointing to see the NHL try and punish every hit that has contact with the head. Hockey is a fast-paced game. There will be times where contact is made with the head - it's inevitable. If they're going to punish every hit where there's contact with the head, they may as well take hitting out of the game.

Hope Hanzal doesn't get much, if anything (though with how they run things, who the **** knows?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad