Hanzal suspended for 2 games

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I have no faith on the NHL with this. Thank God there is that 3rd party appeal should it be at least 5 games.

The 3rd party appeal can only be done when it's 6+ games, which is why we've seen so many 5-game suspensions this year. If it's under 6, you can only appeal to Bettman and we all know where that's going. :laugh:

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Canucks fan coming in peace. Just wanted to voice my thoughts without having to deal with the main boards.

This is a farce. That hit was a minor penalty, major at most. It doesn't warrant supplemental discipline. It's so disappointing to see the NHL try and punish every hit that has contact with the head. Hockey is a fast-paced game. There will be times where contact is made with the head - it's inevitable. If they're going to punish every hit where there's contact with the head, they may as well take hitting out of the game.

Hope Hanzal doesn't get much, if anything (though with how they run things, who the **** knows?).

It's crazy. It's like modern day fans have zero tolerance for any accidental plays. If this had happened to our of our players, I can genuinely say that the last thing I would be doing right now is begging Shanahan for justice. It's ridiculous, hockey is becoming more and more like basketball every day. Hanzal messed up, and I understand player safety...but this hit? So unbelievably blown out of proportion. A casual fan wouldn't even realize it was against the rules had they watched it.

15 years ago, this hit wouldn't have ever gotten a 2nd look after the penalty was called.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
15 years ago, this hit wouldn't have ever gotten a 2nd look after the penalty was called.

I only ever care about intent. There are very malicious things that don't result in anything major, and routine plays that can end careers. It's pretty obvious to anyone with eyeballs that Hanzal was finishing his hit and, because the dude is at least 6'6, caught Petry up high. If Petry bounces right off, it'd be hard to even call it a penalty. Instead we get this whole circus because headshot.

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't get called for more, considering how easily he knocks guys over. The four guys ahead of Hanzal right now in terms of hits are roleplaying scrubs for the most part. He had better be in consideration for the Selke if he keeps this up.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
EDM fans saying it was the dirtiest hit of the year... And that they are more capable of judging because they aren't from Arizona. Can't make this stuff up.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
It's crazy. It's like modern day fans have zero tolerance for any accidental plays. If this had happened to our of our players, I can genuinely say that the last thing I would be doing right now is begging Shanahan for justice. It's ridiculous, hockey is becoming more and more like basketball every day. Hanzal messed up, and I understand player safety...but this hit? So unbelievably blown out of proportion. A casual fan wouldn't even realize it was against the rules had they watched it.

Definitely. I hate that the sport is becoming more and more like basketball. I absolutely hate it. As XX said, it's obvious that Hanzal's just coming in to finish his check. Hanzal was making a routine hit. He wasn't leaping or launching an elbow at Petry's head. He was just skating in to make a hit. It's absolutely preposterous that Hanzal could, and unfortunately probably will, be suspended here.

EDM fans saying it was the dirtiest hit of the year... And that they are more capable of judging because they aren't from Arizona. Can't make this stuff up.

They certainly are capable. After all, Edmonton and their management do know a thing or two about hockey and winning. :sarcasm:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
As I said in GDT I thought ref was wrong last night with just a minor penalty. I sit behind net where play happened and it clearly looked like a fore arm/elbow and direct hit to the head. I am a Coyotes fan and STH but can easily see this being a suspension in the new NHL. Hanzal made no attempt to avoid the head shot and lead with his arm, not his shoulder.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Definitely. I hate that the sport is becoming more and more like basketball. I absolutely hate it. As XX said, it's obvious that Hanzal's just coming in to finish his check. Hanzal was making a routine hit. He wasn't leaping or launching an elbow at Petry's head. He was just skating in to make a hit. It's absolutely preposterous that Hanzal could, and unfortunately probably will, be suspended here.

They certainly are capable. After all, Edmonton and their management do know a thing or two about hockey and winning. :sarcasm:
Great quote from Kevin Lowe -- proof that playing on the same team as Wayne Gretzky makes you a great hockey mind.

Thanks for the video, CC ... hit doesn't look that bad, and I don't know what to make of Petry's reaction. It looks more like he got poked in the eye than he caught some crushing blow to the head. He doesn't looked dazed, he looks annoyed and in pain. This would be one heck of a suspension ...

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Great quote from Kevin Lowe -- proof that playing on the same team as Wayne Gretzky makes you a great hockey mind.

Thanks for the video, CC ... hit doesn't look that bad, and I don't know what to make of Petry's reaction. It looks more like he got poked in the eye than he caught some crushing blow to the head. He doesn't looked dazed, he looks annoyed and in pain. This would be one heck of a suspension ...

Especially when BEING Wayne Gretzky, doesn't make you a great hockey mind off the ice.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One thing I don't understand about these suspensions is the whole "repeat offender" thing. So Hanzal boarded Brown then two years later hits Petry high with an elbow intent or not. What does one have to do with the other? Especially given the time separation. If it was another dangerous boarding that's one thing, but these are two completely different types of contact and shows no clear pattern at all.

At a certain point virtually everyone in the league will be a "repeat offender" by this standard.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
One thing I don't understand about these suspensions is the whole "repeat offender" thing. So Hanzal boarded Brown then two years later hits Petry high with an elbow intent or not. What does one have to do with the other? Especially given the time separation. If it was another dangerous boarding that's one thing, but these are two completely different types of contact and shows no clear pattern at all.

At a certain point virtually everyone in the league will be a "repeat offender" by this standard.

The "repeat offender" status should expire after a pre-determined amount of time based on the severity of the suspension. I remember Klesla was considered a repeat offender when he boarded Halischuk in the 2012 playoffs, because of a 2 game suspension he received from hitting Tuomo Ruutuu in like 2006.

I think 6 years should be long enough to absolve a player of "repeat offender" status, unless they had been suspended for an extremely violent incident.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm happy for Miele. He's been tearing it up in the AHL. Hope he sees more than 6 minutes but highly unlikely.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here's the CBA definition of a repeat offender:

"Status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen months, on a rolling basis, i.e., where a player does not have another suspension for 18 months, his next suspension will be treated as a "first" offense."

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
As I said in GDT I thought ref was wrong last night with just a minor penalty. I sit behind net where play happened and it clearly looked like a fore arm/elbow and direct hit to the head. I am a Coyotes fan and STH but can easily see this being a suspension in the new NHL. Hanzal made no attempt to avoid the head shot and lead with his arm, not his shoulder.

You sir just described an elbowing penalty. If that is suspension worthy the league is going down hill.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Reminding me of a play I saw on the Red Zone yesterday, Oakland defender trying to break up a pass was initially flagged for a personal foul ('defenseless receiver') which looked like a BS call. Red Zone went away from the play but it looked when they came back that the refs talked it over and picked up the flag.

Just to say, these games are changing. I don't know that I like the changes, although I'm not against player safety. There needs though to be some consistency, fast, not only in the rules but in the application of penalties for infractions, and then we can adjust better to the changes, whether it's to accept them and get used to them, or find something else to spend our leisure time following.

Who knows, maybe in 15 years the pucks will be foam and the sticks will have the hardness of pool noodles... not sure I'll still be watching but...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->