Hanzal suspended for 2 games

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know what views the NHL had but from my view behind the net where this play actually happened I thought the ref was wrong with only a 2 minute penalty. Hanzal charged Petry, left the ice, and principal point of contact was the head. It was an easy call for Shanny. I am not saying he has been the most consistant but this suspension was an easy call.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
That hit was a perfect example of what a two minute minor for charging looks like.

The fact that something like that has become suspension worthy is absolutely ludicrous.
Couldn't agree more. With both parts. A day will come that players built like Andy Miele are the most valuable in the league.

Can't wait for the first guy in Hanzal's position to drop and dive into Petry's knees ... just hope it doesn't happen to us. :shakehead

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
That hit was a perfect example of what a two minute minor for charging looks like.

The fact that something like that has become suspension worthy is absolutely ludicrous.

Truth.

It really seems like hitting is slowly being removed from the game. Hell, house league hockey has already had it removed and the hitting age for travel hockey has been pushed back.

Where is the line? Soon ANY contact to the head, regardless of targeting and principle point of contact will be illegal (if it isn't already). And then what will be the next step after that?

Shanahan is ruining the NHL. This inconsistency is going to make the league a laughing stock.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
Another thing that bothers me, not so much with this hit but the suspensions in general, is there is no responsibility on the players getting hit anymore. You're free to skate with your head down all you like because if you get hit it will likely lead a suspension if the guy happens to catch a piece of your head.

Case in point the Gryba hit in the playoffs. He goes for Eller's chest but because his head is so far down Gryba makes contact with the head first.

Sorry for the rant. Just getting really frustrated with the NHL.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Shanahan works for the owners and the players. The Dept of Safety is run by the players assn and the BOG. He is making the decision based on the mandate that he has been given by BOTH of these groups. Don't be mad at Shanny for following the directions he has been given.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I never liked Shanaban as a player and I sure hate him even more with every stupid punishment he gives to members of this team.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Another thing that bothers me, not so much with this hit but the suspensions in general, is there is no responsibility on the players getting hit anymore. You're free to skate with your head down all you like because if you get hit it will likely lead a suspension if the guy happens to catch a piece of your head.

Case in point the Gryba hit in the playoffs. He goes for Eller's chest but because his head is so far down Gryba makes contact with the head first.

Sorry for the rant. Just getting really frustrated with the NHL.

Unless your Klesla of course. :facepalm:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You can be way taller than another guy and punch him in the face with your bare fist and not get a suspension but get a 2 minute charging penalty on the same guy being way tall than him gets you 2 games off. Just like the helmet to helmet rule in the NFL, this rule gets used on so many plays it has to business being used for it's become a joke.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Frustrating.

I can't for the life of me understand the celebration of hits by Niklas Kronwall or just the other night, Francois Beauchemin crushing Anisimov. Hypocrisy.

Simply frustrating.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This is pretty sickening. In a just world, the NFL would have been disbanded long before it could inflict the sort of trauma it's left hundreds of people with. You understand that lives are being cut short by decades because of the repetitive injuries of professional football, right? Do you understand how devastating a series of concussions can be on a person, even one as physically fit as a pro hockey player?

And heading off the "But they're being paid millions of dollars and they have the choice to play or not!" chestnut, just because there are people willing to be exploited doesn't make something any less exploitative. If we got rid of child labor laws, minimum wage policies and safety regulations today, there would be 9-year-olds being paid 25 cents a week to install asbestos tomorrow. That doesn't mean we should get rid of those laws.

(We can save the raw sexism of your comment for another discussion.)
In a just world an adult is free to make their own decisions. If I want to be famous and make millions of dollars at the risk of a potentially serious injury, that should be my prerogative to do so. What I find pretty sickening is how many people these days seem to think they know what's best for everyone else. Not everyone wants to be coddled Pho.

As for the asbestos installing 9yr old being paid .25 cents an hour...yeah...totally analogous.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
In a just world an adult is free to make their own decisions. If I want to be famous and make millions of dollars at the risk of a potentially serious injury, that should be my prerogative to do so. What I find pretty sickening is how many people these days seem to think they know what's best for everyone else. Not everyone wants to be coddled Pho.

As for the asbestos installing 9yr old being paid .25 cents an hour...yeah...totally analogous.

I agree.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Pathetic. Nothing for a knee to knee that was cleary much more dangerous, but 2 games for something that happens every game and goes uncalled. Shanny always jumps at a chance to **** us.

Demosthenes

Speaker for the dead
Sep 29, 2011
Phoenix, AZ

Well said. :handclap:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As a fan trying to follow NHL rules as it relates to head hits, I no longer have any idea what qualifies as legal and what doesn't. I don't think Brendan Shanahan does either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is pretty sickening. In a just world, the NFL would have been disbanded long before it could inflict the sort of trauma it's left hundreds of people with. You understand that lives are being cut short by decades because of the repetitive injuries of professional football, right? Do you understand how devastating a series of concussions can be on a person, even one as physically fit as a pro hockey player?

Is this satire? It's so bizarre that I have to ask. If we're just claiming domain over other individuals here, I claim your liver and lungs. You may not ever drink or smoke, or even put yourself in a situation where alcohol will be present. Greater good, it's for society, yadda yadda yadda. I own you, because I find [insert everyday thing here] deplorable. We don't live in a just world. And we don't live in a world where you get to choose what's best for others on such a small level.

Exploitation occurs when people have no real other option. Seeing as how this isn't a war torn third world country, I think football players are okay with trading some physical pain for millions of dollars. It's not like it's between that and the gulag. C'mon Pho.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
We're not talking about "some physical pain" here, guys. We're talking about people turned into walking vegetables, or stricken with debilitating mental illness. Check your bloodlust. A big open ice hit is entertaining, but I'd gladly give that up if it means cutting down on concussions. That you value your own fleeting entertainment more than a human being is barbaric.

And regarding the whole "but they're adults!" thing, this stuff trickles down to the peewee level and beyond. Kids are literally dying because of it. But god forbid someone suggest there are more important things than a safety obliterating a running back.

There is no "freedom" option here. You either think violence and bodily destruction is a fair cost for entertaining you, or you think the world would be better if those people were able to live full, healthy lives, even if it meant losing some of the physicality in your precious sports. Either way, you're "choosing what's best for people." The difference is, in one of them, you get to be a humane member of a society.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We're not talking about "some physical pain" here, guys. We're talking about people turned into walking vegetables, or stricken with debilitating mental illness. Check your bloodlust. A big open ice hit is entertaining, but I'd gladly give that up if it means cutting down on concussions. That you value your own fleeting entertainment more than a human being is barbaric.

Where are we valuing entertainment over human beings? Because we understand that, in exchange for making millions and living the life, these guys might occasionally get hurt? Your fake concern rings hollow because hockey and football aren't actually dangerous professions. Do you weep at night for taxi divers and policemen? Fisherman? Dying is actually a very real part of those jobs, and those people get paid far, far less for it. Are we exploiting them as well?

And regarding the whole "but they're adults!" thing, this stuff trickles down to the peewee level and beyond. Kids are literally dying because of it. But god forbid someone suggest there are more important things than a safety obliterating a running back.

If kids are dying, it's because the people involved in the sport at that level, from officials to parents, don't care enough to get involved. It reminds me of the argument for legislating violent or sexual content in media. It's not even an issue if you just get involved as a parent and say no. If you are so deathly worried about your kid, don't let them play in a league where such hits are possible. It's really that simple. You don't have to ruin it for everyone else because you're slightly squeamish about dangerous hits.

There is no "freedom" option here. You either think violence and bodily destruction is a fair cost for entertaining you, or you think the world would be better if those people were able to live full, healthy lives, even if it meant losing some of the physicality in your precious sports. Either way, you're "choosing what's best for people." The difference is, in one of them, you get to be a humane member of a society.

Bodily destruction? You'd have a better moral argument if you went on a crusade against cheeseburgers. They're adults and they can do what they like. They can choose to not play hockey. They can choose to do drugs, to drink, to be violent. They are not automatons. Free will is about the only thing we humans have going for us. Let's not overstep boundaries here and pretend like this is anything more than your squeamishness. Plenty of players pass through their careers and come out the other side healthy and are able to live fulfilling lives. Your average person on the street does the same. Whether or not violence or a bad accident seeks us all out is just a crap shoot.

There are reasonable ways to cut down on career ending injuries. You are not being reasonable.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
both guys on nhl live thought it was a bad hit and Hanzal was lucky... maybe we should all consider the possibility we're wrong.

maybe we're biased... no, we ARE biased whether we admit it or not.

we're all being whiney *****es that's for sure. time to get over it. use the suspension as an opportunity for Miele to go Marty St Louis on us.

how come no hate for Brian Leetch?.... he announced the suspension. oh yeah, I remember.... because Shanahan is an arse.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm sure every single person who works behind a register for minimum wage at the risk of getting shot to death would love to trade places with these professional athletes; especially since they won't have to worry about getting fired on the spot for defending themselves from harm when playing in the big leagues.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Yiiikes. Okay. I'm done here. Someone PM me when Arizona makes it into the 19th ****ing century.

I think you guys are especially going to love air conditioning and penicillin.

Demosthenes

Speaker for the dead
Sep 29, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Guys our freedoms are not worth the lives of soldiers. We need to just give in to the fact that some people may want to destroy us and conquer our land. No need to put young men unnecessarily at risk to ensure our prolonged existence as a society.

Lets also shut down entire industries like Mining, Deep sea fishing, Underwater welding, and logging! Living in a modern society with all the conveniences of doing so is not worth all the lives lost at these work sites.

Wake me up when AZ rejoins the 15th century where everything was so much safer.

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Yiiikes. Okay. I'm done here. Someone PM me when Arizona makes it into the 19th ****ing century.

I think you guys are especially going to love air conditioning and penicillin.

Yes, because only people in Arizona believe these athletes are fully aware of the risks they are taking. Your argument is based off of ideals, not reality. You really need to get over yourself. I'd love to say more but it would just be moved to the political forum.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Of course the NHL network is going to say it's a bad hit because the NHL network is a mouthpiece of the NHL... you're not going to see a dissenting opinion there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad