Speculation: Hansen wants out

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do you remember what was said?

So, there was a game. I believe it was against Chicago. In fact, I know it was against Chicago, late in the season, where SJ won in a shootout. As I remember it, the 4th line of Barclay Goodrow-Eric Fehr-Jannik Hansen was on the ice for 1 goal against as a trio. There were 2 other goals; one Shark goal which was scored with 2/3 of them on the ice due to line shuffling, and one Blackhawk goal which was scored with 2/3 of them on the ice due to line shuffling. Jannik Hansen was part of the 2/3 that was on the ice in both events.

In the post game, Peter DeBoer was asked what he thought of his 3rd line. He responded that he was glad that they scored a goal, but they also gave one up, so he was indifferent. This was completely incorrect because if you considered the goal against with 2/3 of that line on the ice a “goal against for the 4th line”, then you must have also considered the goal for to be a “goal for for the 4th line.”

A lot of Sharks fans told me that I was making a mountain out of a molehill, but when have you ever heard a coach botch the facts in a manner that reduces the credit given to one of his players? I have heard countless coaches botch the facts, or completely disregard them, in order to give more credit to their players.

It was a strange situation and you should look into the game (look up Kevin LaBanc shootout winner and go from there) if you want to see more. It may not have been much but it showed a clear bias from Peter DeBoer against Jannik Hansen.

Reactions: robes1

member 105785

remember when nucks fans wanted a 1st for him?

Remember when stars fans wanted Hodgson for Ott? Sens fans wanted a 1st+ for Neil? Sabres fans wanted a 1st for Gaustad? Heart and soul 3rd liners cost a lot to obtain. Besides, VAN got a recent 1st rounder and a conditional pick, pretty good return

Reactions: WHISTLERNATE

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
remember when nucks fans wanted a 1st for him?

That is what they got for him. A recent 1st round pick who was tearing up the AHL. They also got a conditional 1st round pick as well.

Ryan Hartman just got a 1st at the TDL. These types of players consistently get way overpaid for.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
That is what they got for him. A recent 1st round pick who was tearing up the AHL. They also got a conditional 1st round pick as well.

Ryan Hartman just got a 1st at the TDL. These types of players consistently get way overpaid for.

Hartman is actually young and good, he has more value than Goldobin. If you think Goldobin has 1st round value then i sure as hell hope we move Scherbak.

Reactions: biturbo19

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hartman is actually young and good, he has more value than Goldobin. If you think Goldobin has 1st round value then i sure as hell hope we move Scherbak.

He probably did at the time, but I definitely don’t think he does anymore. At the time, Goldobin had been drafted less than 3 years ago, and had 41 points in 46 AHL games at age 21.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's a UFA- a team like Edmonton would be a perfect fit- speedy winger that would be a great PK guy.

Yeah. Edmonton really does seem like a good fit. Great opportunity for him to get his career back on track, and as long as he does...he's exactly what that Edmonton roster is crying out for. Solid RH shot depth who can play up and down the lineup, responsible defensively, PKer, etc. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him get back to potting his usual ~15G 30pts shuffling around between playmaking Centers like McDavid/Draisaitl/Nuge. He hustles, digs up pucks, and gets to the net...exactly what those sort of Centers need most.

He is, at the absolute worst, a league-average NHL 4th liner. He showed flashes, during this season, of an elite 4th liner that could probably spend some time in the top-9 as the forechecker/puck hound on a line with a solid playmaker and goal scorer.

Peter DeBoer had an inexplicable hatred for him; Hansen was significantly better than Melker Karlsson who played as the 4th line RW in every playoff game this season.

Any team that gets him will be happy that they acquired him and will be perplexed as to how he was available in UFA for such little money. He will also inevitably torch the Sharks when he does play against them with his new team.

It's hard to imagine that off-ice and player-coach relationship stuff wasn't a big part of the problem with Hansen in SJS. He seemed really hesitant to even be traded in the first place. A lot of fretting about how his life might change for him and his family and how he'd fit. He's also a guy who seemed really...off during that disaster Torts year. He seems to be a player who is a bit temperamental in those sort of respects. He'll leave it all on the ice and do anything asked of him...but he's never seemed to respond well to certain types of coach, or certain types of system.

Getting to pick his landing spot completely as a FA might help. Hopefully finding a coach that likes his game, handles him well and all that too. Though realistically, he's going to be looking at a 1-year "reclamation project" contract...wherever he goes. Which isn't going to help give him a lot of long-term stability or anything.

He's also a guy who built his career on morphing into a maximum energy 110% effort every shift type worker though...and he's 32 now. Wouldn't be the first time age really caught up with that type of player in a hurry. Gotta be worth at least a reasonable 1-year deal to somebody though, with a lot of upside if he can regain his form from before the Sharks trade where he was a real glue guy in the Canucks lineup who made every line he was on better, not that long ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad