Speculation: Hansen wants out

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
He'll get another job. Everything I read last year said the effort was there and he was doing a lot of things right, he just wasn't scoring, had a hysterically bad shooting percentage. But also he ended up putting a few in towards the end of the season so maybe his funk is done and things will start to even out for him again. He played a stretch of 8 games at the end of the year and went 2+4=6 in those 8. In fact, although he was scratched like a bad itch, from February on he scored 10 points in 18 games, but the narrative was already written by that point in the season. It was just not a good fit for him in San Jose with DeBoer and if he finds the right opportunity he can put up 10+20 again, or not, who knows.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
DeBoer didn't like him, so he didn't play.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him be a contributor on a 3rd line somewhere, but will likely be a good 4th liner. He's a part of one of a few lineup decisions that perplexed most Sharks fans this year.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Hansen would be lucky to get an nhl contract next year. He’s awful at this point. I’m guessing he’ll go to Europe and play somewhere.

I honestly didn't see a ton of the Sharks this year, but he missed 36 games and none of his underlying numbers were like, shockingly bad. Definitely within range that like, if he was hurt, the drop would make without natural age-related decline. So, unless I'm missing something (for all I know they were healthy scratches, so definitely possible), I figure he's probably still a useful player. He was never quite as good as Canucks fans made him out, and I'm no Benning defender, but he did a pretty good job on the return, I think. I'd have to go back and watch (I guess if I was a GM, I'd have already paid closer attention, and I'd have scouts to ask), I'd probably be fine giving him a bottom-six chance.

member 105785

What a horrible trade. Even if Goldobin never pans out, it was such a waste of assets.

A b prospect and a 4th for at the time a very good 3rd liner who would occasionally get top 6 time? Heart and soul depth players always get a lot in trades. I remember Steve Ott threads in 2010 where the ask was a 1st plus Cody Hodgson and Paul Gaustad for a 1st in reality.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He is, at the absolute worst, a league-average NHL 4th liner. He showed flashes, during this season, of an elite 4th liner that could probably spend some time in the top-9 as the forechecker/puck hound on a line with a solid playmaker and goal scorer.

Peter DeBoer had an inexplicable hatred for him; Hansen was significantly better than Melker Karlsson who played as the 4th line RW in every playoff game this season.

Any team that gets him will be happy that they acquired him and will be perplexed as to how he was available in UFA for such little money. He will also inevitably torch the Sharks when he does play against them with his new team.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
A b prospect and a 4th for at the time a very good 3rd liner who would occasionally get top 6 time? Heart and soul depth players always get a lot in trades. I remember Steve Ott threads in 2010 where the ask was a 1st plus Cody Hodgson and Paul Gaustad for a 1st in reality.
Over Hansen’s tenure in SJ he played almost 70 games with a whopping total of 4 goals. He was a healthy scratch more often than not. It was a horrible trade. Most sharks fans didn’t need to see Hansen constantly struggle in SJ to know that.

member 105785

Over Hansen’s tenure in SJ he played almost 70 games with a whopping total of 4 goals. He was a healthy scratch more often than not. It was a horrible trade. Most sharks fans didn’t need to see Hansen constantly struggle in SJ to know that.

Misread original post, thought it was referring to people who knew it at the time, which I now see wasn't mentioned, this is why you shouldn't post before coffee.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Misread original post, thought it was referring to people who knew it at the time, which I now see wasn't mentioned, this is why you shouldn't post before coffee.
I hated the trade at the time. I am big on Goldobin though. I believe he is definitely boom/busy but SJ hasn’t had a prospect with his offensive potential in quite some time.

I also think Hansen is better than his result in SJ. For whatever reason, DeBoer just straight refused to play him unless he had too

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Do we know why DeBoer hated him so much? Is it because he just didn't produce in SJ?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do we know why DeBoer hated him so much? Is it because he just didn't produce in SJ?

DeBoer has generally been a solid coach in San Jose and has done a lot of good things, but he has made some absolutely egregious lineup decisions during his tenure in San Jose and has shown clear biases against certain players; Jannik Hansen is one of those players.

There were some interviews that made it pretty clear that DeBoer had something personal against Jannik Hansen.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Even though the trade was for a non NHL ready prospect, Goldobin still scored 11 goals in 50 games with Vancouver.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
remember when nucks fans wanted a 1st for him?

We got Nikolay Goldobin, a 1st round pick. I know it's not an actual pick, but Goldobin was a pretty good return.

I would take Hansen back on the Canucks any day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad