Proposal: Hanifin for #10 OA

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Just curious, here.

Let's say that the big 4 Ds (Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson) are gone at #10 (a strong possibility in my opinion), would the Oilers entertain the idea of trading #10 to Carolina for Noah Hanifin? I could see Carolina package that #10 to try pry away Zadina from Montreal and get a crazy Zadina-Necas-Svechnikov line for the next 10 years (what a dream).

I know it would be a tough sell (!) for Chiarelli in Edmonton after the Reinhart fiasco, but I do think Hanifin is a 21 y old defenseman full of potential, and that he is better than Ty Smith.

It would also mean that one of Tkachuk, Whalstrom or Kotkaniemi is available, but hey, just curious!

And what would Carolina get out of this deal? A pick? And they'd lose their young, established, buddy superstar D-Man in return? LMAO. Carolina would never EVER do this.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I’d guess the Canes could get a much better pick or player than #10 if they dangled Hanifin.

“Package that #10 for Zadina”
... why not just package Hanifin for Zadina??
Exactly, why would there be a middleman. I don't see the Habs giving up the 3rd for Hanifin unless there is something added to the trade that would really interest them.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'd trade the 7th pick from Van for Hanifin and a 2nd (or as high a pick that is reasonable). He is a pretty good puck mover already, which is what we are looking for, and still has a ton of upside. He is an NHL ready version of what we are hoping to get at 7 anyway.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I'd trade the 7th pick from Van for Hanifin and a 2nd (or as high a pick that is reasonable). He is a pretty good puck mover already, which is what we are looking for, and still has a ton of upside. He is an NHL ready version of what we are hoping to get at 7 anyway.

Wouldn't that make him more valuable ?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
And what would Carolina get out of this deal? A pick? And they'd lose their young, established, buddy superstar D-Man in return? LMAO. Carolina would never EVER do this.

That might be a bit of an overstatement. However I get that Carolina isn't served by just getting a pick who *might* be as good a Hanifin. Makes total sense.

10A + forward prospect ?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
To the Canucks, Absolutely. It also puts Carolina in a posistion that they would have a choice of Wahstrom, Kotkaniemi, and possibly Tkatchuk.

There's this funny thing about trades, they need to work for both teams. CAR giving up an RFA, all-star 21yr old defenseman for the 7th OA doesn't really make CAR any better this year, and they have to wait 2-3 years for whoever is picked at 7OA to contribute.

Trading Hanifin for anything else than a comparable young foward, contributing or ready to contribute at the NHL level, makes absolutely no sense for CAR.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
There's this funny thing about trades, they need to work for both teams. CAR giving up an RFA, all-star 21yr old defenseman for the 7th OA doesn't really make CAR any better this year, and they have to wait 2-3 years for whoever is picked at 7OA to contribute.

Trading Hanifin for anything else than a comparable young foward, contributing or ready to contribute at the NHL level, makes absolutely no sense for CAR.

Not so fast spockrock, a Hanifins a Hanifin but 7OA could be anything. It could even be a Hanifin!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The problem with trading Hanifin for the 10th pick is that if things go perfectly, you hope you get a player as good as Hanifin. Makes no sense.
Agreed, from an Oilers fan perspective, it would need to be Hanafin for the 10th pick and something else good. Which is why I still think the Faulk deal makes more sense, as long as Carolina's new management crew wants to get rid of him. I can't imagine they would be ready to toss out Hanafin at this time without it being a price that I would not be overly excited to pay, like 10th and Pulujarvi for Hanafin.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Some would say 18 y old players on ELC are the most valuable assets in hockey. Given the strenght of this draft, and the quality of player that is going to be available at #10 (for sure one of Bouchard, Dobson, Kotkaniemi, Walhstrom, Tkatchuk, etc), I'd say it is not that far of, but I realise most don't agree with me. I happen to think we are going to talk about this top 10 draft in a few years the same way we talk about the 2016 draft.

Then why would you want to trade the 10th pick?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Then why would you want to trade the 10th pick?

The same reason they traded a relatively high pick (Barzal) for Reinhart; positional need, and the fact the player is likely to make an impact sooner in the line-up (I don't think any of the players in that range is going to play in the NHL this year (maybe Tkatchuk if he falls in the draft)).

I expect Oilers to rebound this season with a little help on the blue line (ideally on RD, but Hanifin would certainly help)... And Chiarelli is under a lot of pressure to get back in the playoff fast. The Canes are in a harder spot with the goalie situation, a rookie coach and questionable C depth, and I don't think they will be able to fix that this year. An even better way to tank the year would be to trade Faulk to the Oilers, then that right side would be a mess but the 2019 first round pick would probably really high and there is some awesome C prospects there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The same reason they traded a relatively high pick (Barzal) for Reinhart; positional need, and the fact the player is likely to make an impact sooner in the line-up (I don't think any of the players in that range is going to play in the NHL this year (maybe Tkatchuk if he falls in the draft)).

I expect Oilers to rebound this season with a little help on the blue line (ideally on RD, but Hanifin would certainly help)... And Chiarelli is under a lot of pressure to get back in the playoff fast. The Canes are in a harder spot with the goalie situation, a rookie coach and questionable C depth, and I don't think they will be able to fix that this year. An even better way to tank the year would be to trade Faulk to the Oilers, then that right side would be a mess but the 2019 first round pick would probably really high and there is some awesome C prospects there.
The hurricanes were closer to making the playoffs than the oilers despite their goaltending.

They are a decent goaltender away from the playoffs. Can't say the same for Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad