Proposal: Hanifin for #10 OA

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
:huh:

Maybe I'm too high on Hanifin but I think he'd go 3rd or at worst 4th in this draft...

Nothing against Hanifin, but here are the players from the 2015 draft I would take before him now:

#1. McDavid
#2. Eichel
#3. Barzal
#4. Werenski
#5. Aho
#6. Boeser
#7. Provorov
#8. Rantanen
#9. Marner
#10. Connor
#11. DeBrusk

... and it would be a close call between him and Chabot/Konecny. Kaprizov is frickin' amazing but it looks like he's going to stay in the KHL.

That 2015 first round was awesome.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Nothing against Hanifin, but here are the players from the 2015 draft I would take before him now:

#1. McDavid
#2. Eichel
#3. Barzal
#4. Werenski
#5. Aho
#6. Boeser
#7. Provorov
#8. Rantanen
#9. Marner
#10. Connor
#11. DeBrusk

... and it would be a close call between him and Chabot/Konecny. Kaprizov is frickin' amazing but it looks like he's going to stay in the KHL.

That 2015 first round was awesome.

There's a couple of guys on your list I don't agree with but that's besides the point. A stacked draft doesn't take anything away from a player if they're just flat out good. I mean, he's a low #2/high #3 at 21 years old. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy though lol, that's just my opinion

If he's being undervalued the Sabres will surely take him :D

Reactions: SebastianAhoe

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
There's a couple of guys on your list I don't agree with but that's besides the point. A stacked draft doesn't take anything away from a player if they're just flat out good. I mean, he's a low #2/high #3 at 21 years old. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy though lol, that's just my opinion

If he's being undervalued the Sabres will surely take him :D

I think Hanifin is good, like I said in my post. I just said it is a bit far fetched to say he'd go "3rd or 4th" in a redraft, and the fact you say that you don't agree with "a couple of guys" on the 14 I have listed makes me think you kind of agree with me. ;)

Like I said earlier in the thread, in my humble opinion, Hanifin is still very sheltered in his usage, even in his 3rd year in the NHL. You expect your top 2 Ds to be a key cog not only on the PP, but also on the PK and to be able to handle tough defensive zone starts. I do not think he is a #2 at the moment, certainly not in Carolina. He is probably a second pairing defenseman on most NHL teams (with a few exceptions). It is far from impossible he gets there though, he is only 21 y old.

Last edited:

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I think Hanifin is good, like I said in my post. I just said it is a bit far fetched to say he'd go "3rd or 4th" in a redraft, and the fact you say that you don't agree with "a couple of guys" on the 14 I have listed makes me think you kind of agree with me. ;)

Like I said earlier in the thread, in my humble opinion, Hanifin is still very sheltered in his usage, even in his 3rd year in the NHL. You expect your top 2 Ds to be a key cog not only on the PP, but also on the PK and to be able to handle tough defensive zone starts. I do not think he is a #2 at the moment, certainly not in Carolina. He is probably a second pairing defenseman on most NHL teams (with a few exceptions). It is far from impossible he gets there though, he is only 21 y old.

I didn't mean in a redraft, I meant in this upcoming draft. Like in my opinion if Hanifin was in this draft I think the order would go Dahlin, Svech and then a toss up between Zadina and Hanifin. I was just trying to make this point because the offer was #10 for him and I thought it was crazy.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I didn't mean in a redraft, I meant in this upcoming draft. Like in my opinion if Hanifin was in this draft I think the order would go Dahlin, Svech and then a toss up between Zadina and Hanifin. I was just trying to make this point because the offer was #10 for him and I thought it was crazy.

Ok, thought you meant in the 2015 draft.

As for 2018, it is always hard to predict who is going to become what, but I really like Dahlin (obviously), Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist and Hugues... If you can draft one of them, you are golden (barring injuries, of course)!

After these five, there is a bit of a drop-off, and I could see why someone could prefer a Hanifin to a Dobson or a Bouchard (or a Wahlstrom/Tkachuk), but I would also not be surprised at all if all of the "big four" Ds (Hugues, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson) of the 2018 had superior careers to Hanifin. I guess we'll have a better idea in about 10 years!

Reactions: Sabres

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ok, thought you meant in the 2015 draft.

As for 2018, it is always hard to predict who is going to become what, but I really like Dahlin (obviously), Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist and Hugues... If you can draft one of them, you are golden (barring injuries, of course)!

After these five, there is a bit of a drop-off, and I could see why someone could prefer a Hanifin to a Dobson or a Bouchard (or a Wahlstrom/Tkachuk), but I would also not be surprised at all if all of the "big four" Ds (Hugues, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson) of the 2018 had superior careers to Hanifin. I guess we'll have a better idea in about 10 years!

Yeah, I agree, it's possible. You never know how prospects turn out. Just comes down to personal preference at this point.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yeah, I agree, it's possible. You never know how prospects turn out. Just comes down to personal preference at this point.

True. The top 10 players ranked in this draft look real solid, that is why I value the 1o first picks this year A LOT ("Hanifin-level" value, you could say ;) ). It is going to be really interesting to see how they develop. The great thing about the first 3 picks (+ maybe Tkachuk and Hugues if his performance at the World Championships is any indication) is that they all look like they could step in the NHL as soon as next year.

I would rank them like this, but what do I know:

#1. Dahlin
#2. Svechnikov/Zadina
#3. Zadina/Svechnikov
#4. Boqvist/Hugues
#5. Hugues/Boqvist
#6. Dobson
#7. Kotkaniemi
#8. Bouchard
#9. Wahlstrom
#10. Tkachuk

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
True. The top 10 players ranked in this draft look real solid, that is why I value the 1o first picks this year A LOT ("Hanifin-level" value, you could say ;) ). It is going to be really interesting to see how they develop. The great thing about the first 3 picks (+ maybe Tkachuk and Hugues if his performance at the World Championships is any indication) is that they all look like they could step in the NHL as soon as next year.

#1. Dahlin
#2. Svechnikov/Zadina
#3. Zadina/Svechnikov
#4. Boqvist/Hugues
#5. Hugues/Boqvist
#6. Dobson
#7. Kotkaniemi
#8. Bouchard
#9. Wahlstrom
#10. Tkachuk

That's a damn good list. Only change I would make are Svechnikov being the clear cut #2. And maybe Hughes as a possible at #3. Maybe I'm higher on him than others but he's one of the most beautiful skaters I've ever seen.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think the canes could get as high as pick 4-6 for Hanifin.
edmonton does this in a heartbeat, doubt carolina offers though

just for kicks

Tor: Hanifin, CAR 2nd
Car: Nylander, 6OA (Wahlstrom) , 28OA (Olofsson)
Det: 2 OA (Svechnikov). TOR 4th

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think the canes could get as high as pick 4-6 for Hanifin.
edmonton does this in a heartbeat, doubt carolina offers though

just for kicks

Tor: Hanifin, CAR 2nd
Car: Nylander, 6OA (Wahlstrom) , 28OA (Olofsson)
Det: 2 OA (Svechnikov). TOR 4th

Very bad for Carolina. Also a very unrealistic trade. Like we’re going to trade the second overall and one of your best young players in the same deal.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
No way carolina does this. They are also looking to compete for the playoffs soon. Not gonna trade a young top 4 guy for magic beans

But the magic beans could be a young top 4 guy in a few years!!!!

Sometimes people on hf forget the point of the nhl is to win games. It’s not a contest of who has the best draft picks and prospects. I always love how five minutes after the draft is over countless people are declaring guys steals because they dropped. Until you’ve contributed to the nhl club who drafted you you can’t be a steal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The pool part is more so hyperbole just using language the same way as posters in here are. Obviously he's also still a kid but Hanifan has shown the potential to be exactly what he was picked to be while the other hasn't.

RNH is a solid 2C. But he is nothing outstanding. He is nothing more then a average 2C that most teams in the NFL have except he is paid at a higher level for a good chunk of time still. Never lived up to his draft spot. His best play I saw him have this year was on McDavids wing if I recall Right?

Point being neither player right now I would say is worth Hanifan straight up let alone add. If RNH was Hanifans age and was coming to his first RFA contract is say that's fair but RNH likely based on trends is what he likely is going to be which isn't bad BUT not what you would hope a 1st overall would be or not what Hanifan is currently worth. Pool party right now is looking like Finland's version of Yak. He's still a kid but out of everyone in the top half of that draft he has.by far struggled the most and shown the least amount and there were questions on how well his game would transfer before he was ever drafted. That's why the CBJ passed on him for PLD they have the best Finnish scouts in Hockey and he has proven them right so far.

I am sure I watch RNH a lot more than you do. What fans outside of Edmonton don't really get is how RNH was developed and how he was used over the course of his career. There have been a lot of posts explaining this here and elsewhere. Long story short don't just look at box scores. They don't tell you everything.

RNH started out as a goal scorer. In Junior he tallied 106 points in his last year with Red Deer. This is one reason why he went 1OA. Another reason was his ability to see the ice and anticipate what was going to happen. "Gretzky-like vision" was how one scout put it (speaking of hyperbole). He wasn't a big player but he had smarts and good hands around the net.

When he was drafted by Edmonton he was assigned 1C duties pretty much right out of the gate. There just wasn't anyone else capable of playing the role. That's how thin Edmonton was up front. More important than the 52 points he put up in his first year was the fact that he was told he must focus on playing a 2 way game. No one else in the organization could handle the tops lines with Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton or the Sedins. RNH did all the heavy lifting in those years, facing some of the best lines in the league.

Very few, if any, 2C's in the league have ever had to play this kind of hockey for the length of time RNH did. He did manage to get 56 points twice. So yeah, Edmonton fans value RNH more than the average 2C.

Some will point out the tear he was on while playing with McDavid. Okay, he might get 60-65 points next year. To me this is less impressive than centering the top line from ages 18-22.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Hanifin is younger and fits better with Carolinas window. I’d say he’s worth a lot more than 10th overall.
Faulk is expendable.

Faulk is 26, he'll be playing at this level for another 6/7/8 years injury permitting.

Trading either makes no sense for Carolina at all.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada

#1. Dahlin
#2. Svechnikov/Zadina
#3. Zadina/Svechnikov
#4. Boqvist/Hugues
#5. Hugues/Boqvist
#6. Dobson
#7. Kotkaniemi
#8. Bouchard
#9. Wahlstrom
#10. Tkachuk

If Wahlstrom is there at 9th the Rangers would gladly take him .

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It’s not the kind of deal we’d be looking for anyway if we trade Faulk. We’d be moving him for immediate help, not the prospect of help to come in 3 years.

I mean, if you trade Faulk, there is a gaping hole on the right side of the defense, and that's the kind of move that makes Carolina worst this season... no "immediate" forward help would fix that in my opinion. If you trade your 26 y old first pairing RD that plays 26 mins a night, you might as well go with futures and hope for a great pick in 2019.

Hanifin departure would have less impact on Carolina's fortunes, especially if it is for a pick like #3 OA that is expected to play right away in your line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad