Proposal: Hanifin for #10 OA

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Just curious, here.

Let's say that the big 4 Ds (Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson) are gone at #10 (a strong possibility in my opinion), would the Oilers entertain the idea of trading #10 to Carolina for Noah Hanifin? I could see Carolina package that #10 to try pry away Zadina from Montreal and get a crazy Zadina-Necas-Svechnikov line for the next 10 years (what a dream).

I know it would be a tough sell (!) for Chiarelli in Edmonton after the Reinhart fiasco, but I do think Hanifin is a 21 y old defenseman full of potential, and that he is better than Ty Smith.

It would also mean that one of Tkachuk, Whalstrom or Kotkaniemi is available, but hey, just curious!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just curious, here.

Let's say that the big 4 Ds (Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson) are gone at #10 (a strong possibility in my opinion), would the Oilers entertain the idea of trading #10 to Carolina for Noah Hanifin? I could see Carolina package that #10 to try pry away Zadina from Montreal and get a crazy Zadina-Necas-Svechnikov line for the next 10 years (what a dream).

I know it would be a tough sell (!) for Chiarelli in Edmonton after the Reinhart fiasco, but I do think Hanifin is a 21 y old defenseman full of potential, and that he is better than Ty Smith.

It would also mean that one of Tkachuk, Whalstrom or Kotkaniemi is available, but hey, just curious!
Would Edmonton entertain the idea of #10 for Hanifin? I must be missing something.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't see Carolina trading Hanifin, for the #10 OA in hopes that they could potentially parlay that into something better than Hanifin.

This makes no sense to me. If anything, I can see the Canes trading Hanifin for a talented "youngish" forward who is under contract/team's control for a long period. Otherwise, seems like 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I also don't see EDM making a move for a guy who plays a position where they have a lot of depth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If they send Klefbom somewhere, maybe.
I guess I'm missing what about this would be unappealing to Edmonton, aside from the fact that Hanifin is a lefty. If they're considering moving that pick for a defenseman Hanifin straight-across is just about the best case scenario for them, or close to it.

My question is why the heck Carolina would do it, unless there's more coming from the Oilers.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Edmonton definitely would.. but would Carolina? Hanifin is farther along development-wise than anyone the Oilers could draft at 10th. Although he is a LHD and a RFA I think he is too good a young player to pass up. It would mean the Oilers would likely trade Klefbom for another need... maybe a good RW.

If Chia is forced to add to the 10th OA it shouldn't be Bear or Jones, Yamamoto or Poolparty. Too much to give. Maybe another pick?

[Edit] Maybe the Oilers could consider trading Puljujarvi for Hanifin. The issue with that is Edmonton is really thin at RW throughout the whole organization.

Reactions: bucks_oil and DaveG

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think Edmonton definitely would.. but would Carolina? Hanifin is farther along development-wise than anyone the Oilers could draft at 10th. Although he is a LHD and a RFA I think he is too good a young player to pass up. It would mean the Oilers would likely trade Klefbom for another need... maybe a good RW.

If Chia is forced to add to the 10th OA it shouldn't be Bear or Jones, Yamamoto or Poolparty. Too much to give. Maybe another pick?

[Edit] Maybe the Oilers could consider trading Puljujarvi for Hanifin. The issue with that is Edmonton is really thin at RW throughout the whole organization.

Maybe a 2nd? I still think the value is pretty close.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I don't see Carolina trading Hanifin, for the #10 OA in hopes that they could potentially parlay that into something better than Hanifin.

This makes no sense to me. If anything, I can see the Canes trading Hanifin for a talented "youngish" forward who is under contract/team's control for a long period. Otherwise, seems like 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

I also don't see EDM making a move for a guy who plays a position where they have a lot of depth.

Like I said, the idea here would be to use that pick to get the #3 OA (Zadina) from Montreal. I don't think Hanifin is enough for #3 OA (would need a significant add in my opinion, like a 2019 first round pick)... So, in that scenario: #10 OA + Carolina 2019 first round pick for Zadina.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hanifin for Pulujarvi (sp?) or RNH (with CAR adding) or for MTL's #3 makes sense. For #10?...no sense at all. Hanifin, who hasn't played yet to the levels of Werenski and Provorov, still is only 21 (maybe 20?). It took Hedman a few years to figure it out, not that I'm saying Hanifin will play to the level of Hedman, but I think the potential is there to be a similar driving force on the blue line for him.

At worst, Hanifin is 2nd pair guy w/ 40pt potential. The player you get at 10OA hopes he can reach that level, and it probably takes years to get there, especially for young d-men. If Hanifin is dealt, it'll be player for player imho, not for futures...unless that future (#3-Zadina) stands a very good chance of stepping onto the NHL roster next season.

Reactions: LakeLivin

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That certainly could be an option.

Is this just a case of HF thinking Picks >>>> existing players?

Why would Carolina trade a very talented, 21 year old defensman, who was a former #5OA in one of the deepest drafts in ages, who has been taking nice strides in his development for a draft pick, who likely will never become better than Hanifin? Defenseman many times take longer to develop so it makes no sense spending 3 years developing a guy only to trade him for a draft pick.

Now, if you want to offer a good, young forward who is also under contract / team's control (like Jones for Johanson), then I see it making sense, but not for a draft pick, particularly a #8 or #10 OA who likely won't be better than Hanifin.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Like I said, the idea here would be to use that pick to get the #3 OA (Zadina) from Montreal. I don't think Hanifin is enough for #3 OA (would need a significant add in my opinion, like a 2019 first round pick)... So, in that scenario: #10 OA + Carolina 2019 first round pick for Zadina.

Your trade is nothing more than Hanifin and 2019 1st overall for Zadina, which I, and others, have already said doesn't make sense to Carolina. Putting an intermediary step in there doesn't change that. I'll repeat it for the 3rd time: If you want to offer a good, young forward who is also under contract / team's control (like Jones for Johanson), then I see it making sense.

I have NO DOUBT that Montreal would ASK for something like Hanifin and next year's first for the #3OA, but I doubt very much Carolina would pay that much. There's a reason no team since 2002 has knowingly traded out of the top 3 of a draft. They know how valuable a top 3 pick is and make it so painful, that no team is willing to pony up what they ask for.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hanifin might not be enough for #3, but I think he'd be more appealing to Montreal (who's been looking for LD) than #10. If they're ultimately trying to get that pick I think trying to build the deal around Hanifin is probably the better option.

And honestly, if Hanifin is still looking like he'll develop into a top-pairing defenseman in the next few seasons I don't think I'd be offering much more than him for Zadina.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yes. AINEC.

Don't think the Canes want more picks and I'm pretty sure if we wanted Zadina (and I don't think we do that badly) it would be cheaper to deal Hanifin+ to Montreal.

What do you think is decent enough add to Hanifin for Zadina? I might be overrating Zadina, but I think it is quite significant.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Just curious, here.

First of all, Hanafin is worth more than the 10th OA.

Second of all, regarding a hypothetical trade with Montreal for Zadina, Hanafin is a LHD that moves the puck well, if Montreal's moving the 3rd OA, they'd much prefer Hanafin to the 10th OA.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Is this just a case of HF thinking Picks >>>> existing players?

Why would Carolina trade a very talented, 21 year old defensman, who was a former #5OA in one of the deepest drafts in ages, who has been taking nice strides in his development for a draft pick, who likely will never become better than Hanifin? Defenseman many times take longer to develop so it makes no sense spending 3 years developing a guy only to trade him for a draft pick.

Now, if you want to offer a good, young forward who is also under contract / team's control (like Jones for Johanson), then I see it making sense, but not for a draft pick, particularly a #8 or #10 OA who likely won't be better than Hanifin.

That's fair, although I don't think Hanifin and the 10th are completely out of whack value-wise. I could see Edmonton dealing either Yamamoto or Puljujarvi.. maybe. It's tough because the Oilers have very little NHL talent on the wings.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not sure if Edmonton makes that move, but got to think it'd be a great interest to the Isles at 11.

I'd have to think that Waddell would make a pitch if a Wahlstrom or Tkachuk is hanging around at 10/11, or perhaps even in order to grab a Farabee or Veleno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad