Proposal: Hanifin for #10 OA

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean, if you trade Faulk, there is a gaping hole on the right side of the defense, and that's the kind of move that makes Carolina worst this season... no "immediate" forward help would fix that in my opinion. If you trade your 26 y old first pairing RD that plays 26 mins a night, you might as well go with futures and hope for a great pick in 2019.

Hanifin departure would have less impact on Carolina's fortunes, especially if it is for a pick like #3 OA that is expected to play right away in your line-up.
so a #17 overall pick plus Pavel Zacha or Michael McLeod is a decent option huh?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
so a #17 overall pick plus Pavel Zacha or Michael McLeod is a decent option huh?

Show me where I wrote that? I'm not sure I follow you here. I just said trading Faulk is pretty much giving up on the season, so if you do that kind of move you might as well go with futures with high upside than proven roster players that won't fix it anyways this season.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Show me where I wrote that? I'm not sure I follow you here. I just said trading Faulk is pretty much giving up on the season, so if you do that kind of move you might as well go with futures with high upside than proven roster players that won't fix it anyways this season.
no, I read that immediate help is needed and Hannifin would be easier to replace. Zacha is immediate help and the 17th overall pick is decent as well. Just a starting point for a conversation on a deal

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
no, I read that immediate help is needed and Hannifin would be easier to replace. Zacha is immediate help and the 17th overall pick is decent as well. Just a starting point for a conversation on a deal

Zacha was outscored by Hanifin last season. A ~30 point caliber forward is not what I would call immediate help.

The only way New Jersey gets Hanifin is if his contract ask is so significant that Carolina can’t justify it and the trade market doesn’t offer a quality, near 1-for-1 piece. The Devils don’t have an expendable centerpiece to motivate Carolina to deal Hanifin in the division otherwise.

Broadly, the pressure to make a move has been relieved with the lottery win. Carolina now has two top-tier prospects in Necas and presumably Svechnikov to go with Aho as soon as next season. Surrounding that group at the NHL level are Staal, Teravainen, Lindholm and perhaps Skinner. In the system, the likes of Wallmark, Zykov, Foegele, Saarela, Roy, etc. contributed to what was the highest scoring offense in the AHL.

Carolina can afford to be patient here, looking for the right move and not just a move.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

For Hanifin you mean? I happen to like Zacha, but in my opinion #17 is far in value from #10, particularly in this draft. People seem to be debating that Hanifin is as valuable as the #3 OA (which I diasgree with), and I don't think Zacha + #17 would be enough to climb to #3, so...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I am sure I watch RNH a lot more than you do. What fans outside of Edmonton don't really get is how RNH was developed and how he was used over the course of his career. There have been a lot of posts explaining this here and elsewhere. Long story short don't just look at box scores. They don't tell you everything.

RNH started out as a goal scorer. In Junior he tallied 106 points in his last year with Red Deer. This is one reason why he went 1OA. Another reason was his ability to see the ice and anticipate what was going to happen. "Gretzky-like vision" was how one scout put it (speaking of hyperbole). He wasn't a big player but he had smarts and good hands around the net.

When he was drafted by Edmonton he was assigned 1C duties pretty much right out of the gate. There just wasn't anyone else capable of playing the role. That's how thin Edmonton was up front. More important than the 52 points he put up in his first year was the fact that he was told he must focus on playing a 2 way game. No one else in the organization could handle the tops lines with Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton or the Sedins. RNH did all the heavy lifting in those years, facing some of the best lines in the league.

Very few, if any, 2C's in the league have ever had to play this kind of hockey for the length of time RNH did. He did manage to get 56 points twice. So yeah, Edmonton fans value RNH more than the average 2C.

Some will point out the tear he was on while playing with McDavid. Okay, he might get 60-65 points next year. To me this is less impressive than centering the top line from ages 18-22.
I'm not a box score guy... if anything I'm more of a highlight guy. I always argue against box scores because a lot of my favorite players never have been guys that will stand out of you only look at the score sheet. I understand he plays a 2 way game and was counted on to play those heavy minutes but PLD was put in the same spot for the CBJ this year. Guys like Johanson and Saad have been benched for not backchecking or having a single bad play on that team because lack of putting in 100% effort so he had the same pressure after wemmberg went down and the CBJ started slumping hard. There was no other natural C on the team it was only converted wingers so as a 19 year old on a torts team playing a position he just learned a year before and he broke the goal scoring record and rookie points record and he wasn't moved their until 20 games in. So someone as hyped as RNH I find it less impressive having seen player in a worse position do the same thing.

I'm not saying he is bad or garbage or will never amount to nothing or whatever... I'm just saying he is not a guy I trade a potential cornerstone D for. There is a reason the Preds wanted a 1st on too of him for Jones but did RyJo based on 1 season.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
the only way i see this going to happen if one of the 3 big name not projected top 3 forwards, (Kotenami Tkachuk Wahlstorm) is available at pick 10 and the canes think that one of them is going to be the best player out of the draft that isn't dahlin/svechnikov. and i don't expect that to happen at all.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Just makes more sense to do a deal involving CAR and MON.
CAR is loaded with left shot dmen so would make sense to move one for some scoring help.
MON need dmen and scoring depth
CAR
Hanifan Skinner
MON
3rd overall and what

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
the only way i see this going to happen if one of the 3 big name not projected top 3 forwards, (Kotenami Tkachuk Wahlstorm) is available at pick 10 and the canes think that one of them is going to be the best player out of the draft that isn't dahlin/svechnikov. and i don't expect that to happen at all.
If Tkachuk or Wahlstrom is there at 10 EDM will keep the pick and draft them. I don’t want to see Edm trade the pick I want them to draft a player as it sounds like a player like Faulk is what EDM would get and for me afaulk is not worth the pick.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
That's just the typical hfboard overrating the pick

Sure there maybe guys that may turn out to be better but a typical 10th overall pick is not better than Hanifin.
Green is better than Hanafin for us right now and the pick is ready when our real window starts, in a few years. Hanifin is good, he just isn't great. Maybe it's a trade worth doing. I like him better than Faulk but I don't think Carolina gives him up for just the pick. JMO.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
You'd be wrong. How many 21 year old top 4 dmen are in the league? They are some of the most valuable assets in hockey.

Hanifin is not currently a top 4 dman. I get trying to pump his value in these oh so realistic debates, but he's a sheltered #5 at this point, with a ton of upside.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hanifin is not currently a top 4 dman. I get trying to pump his value in these oh so realistic debates, but he's a sheltered #5 at this point, with a ton of upside.

He's a middle of the road top 4 D IMO. Needs to work on his defensive coverage and consistency, but is a very good puck mover.

When he's played with Faulk they're awful. But when with a guy like Peace he's looked much better.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Hanifin would be a great fit in Boston along side McAvoy.

What does Carolina need? Heinen, JFK and Lauzon get it done?

They need star forwards to go along with Aho, Svec will be step 1.

They have quality depth players developng/on the roster.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You'd be wrong. How many 21 year old top 4 dmen are in the league? They are some of the most valuable assets in hockey.

Some would say 18 y old players on ELC are the most valuable assets in hockey. Given the strenght of this draft, and the quality of player that is going to be available at #10 (for sure one of Bouchard, Dobson, Kotkaniemi, Walhstrom, Tkatchuk, etc), I'd say it is not that far of, but I realise most don't agree with me. I happen to think we are going to talk about this top 10 draft in a few years the same way we talk about the 2016 draft.

Jan 21, 2018
so hanifin isn't developing as hoped in carolina, and edmonton thinks they can do a better job?

oilers need to trade 10th overall for a proven top 4Dman. add to the pick if necessary, they just can't afford to gamble on a young player with upside when they've ruined so many in the past.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
so hanifin isn't developing as hoped in carolina, and edmonton thinks they can do a better job?

oilers need to trade 10th overall for a proven top 4Dman. add to the pick if necessary, they just can't afford to gamble on a young player with upside when they've ruined so many in the past.

I think you're ignoring the fact that they don't have to rush a player's development anymore because they actually have real NHLers on the top lines now. Puljujarvi can take more time to develop because he doesn't "have" to be their top winger. Same with Yamamoto and Benson. In the past whomever they took in the first round was thrown to the wolves because they had no depth. Also, not changing the coach every year helps.

I wonder if Nail Yakupov might have reached his potential with another team if Edmonton had taken Garth Snows offer of 1 OA for all the Islander draft picks in 2012.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What are the Oilers looking for?

Primarily, an offensive defenceman. RHD is preferred but the Leftorium isn’t as strong as it used to be.

Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, or Smith would all work. Wings need help too so Wahlstrom would work, and McLellan loves extra C’s so I can even see Kotkaniemi being of interest.

When he was giving his end of season availability Chia said there were ‘a cluster’ of defencemen he liked around 9-10... so we will see.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Hoped by whom? It was widely known that he was the least NHL ready of the big 3 in that draft, but had the highest ceiling. He's developing well and pretty much as expected. He should solidify a top 4 role this season, improve his defensive game/awareness and take the next step offensively. He's still tracking to be a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad