Sportsnet: Hanifin drawing attention

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Goaltender is a bigger need, but Hanifin to the Pens to replace Dumoulin would be quite nice. Hanifin and Pettersson on the left, Letang and Petry on the right in the top 4. Mix and match for fit. Ruuta, POJ, Smith, Ruhwedel rounding out the rest of the D core, and would happily send one of them back with other, bigger pieces to fill that hole on the Flames.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
Zadorov did play well under Sutter, true. He is what he is. A very good 3rd pairing guy that can play top 4 for short durations. He hits, he has long reach, and he has offensive upside. We call him Big Z or Bobby Zadoorov. Fans love him.

If your defintion of elite is solely based on scoring you may have to adjust your parameters. Tanev is a top notch shutdown D and will be in high demand even at his age.

Weegar started out slow last year, but has shown every indication that he has been and will continue to be a top 2 d-man in this league and rank highly against his peers.

Kylington still has runway and before he was off for personal reasons showed that he is more than a 3rd pairing guy.
Yes, I watch 82 Flames games a year, I’m very well aware of what Zadorov is. Regardless of any affection towards him, regression is pretty much certain. You’re asking for trouble if he’s asked to be more than a 3rd pair guy.

You can call Tanev an elite shutdown D, but that doesn’t makes the whole package elite. I think it’s you who needs to adjust your definition - calling him elite puts him with company like Makar, Heiskanen, Fox. That’s simply not true, however you justify it. I love how Tanev plays the game, but ignore his history all you want he’s a 34 year old guy, who has lots of miles on his body, and a track record of missing games. Why ignore that track record? Again, love him, but not elite.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yes, I watch 82 Flames games a year, I’m very well aware of what Zadorov is. Regardless of any affection towards him, regression is pretty much certain. You’re asking for trouble if he’s asked to be more than a 3rd pair guy.

You can call Tanev an elite shutdown D, but that doesn’t makes the whole package elite. I think it’s you who needs to adjust your definition - calling him elite puts him with company like Makar, Heiskanen, Fox. That’s simply not true, however you justify it. I love how Tanev plays the game, but ignore his history all you want he’s a 34 year old guy, who has lots of miles on his body, and a track record of missing games. Why ignore that track record? Again, love him, but not elite.
Him and Weegar put up pretty spectacular analytics when they were paired. I think he can absolutely be a #4 D going forward.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Him and Weegar put up pretty spectacular analytics when they were paired. I think he can absolutely be a #4 D going forward.
My concern with Zadorov is that a lot of guys can put up spectacular analytics with Darryl as coach. Will Zadorov be able to replicate that with Huska?

Reactions: Blueston

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Of course Tanev isn't in the Makar/Heiskanen/Hedman (Fox doesn't belong in that group) category. He's a straight defender who can make a breakout pass and is injury prone.

I don't want to move Z. I still think there is upside there. He has these brain cramps. But you don't see 6'6" 250 guys who move like him. He makes these bizarre, horrible decisions, but he can absolutely make great plays too. Interesting guy.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the Flames acquire Olofsson as a key part of the return for Hanifin, Conroy should just go ahead and change his name to Jay Feaster.

One dimensional 27 year old upcoming UFA who can't play a lick of defense - actually even Feaster wouldn't be that dumb. All his horrendous deals at least brought back RFA's; junk RFA's but RFA's nonetheless.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
My concern with Zadorov is that a lot of guys can put up spectacular analytics with Darryl as coach. Will Zadorov be able to replicate that with Huska?
If you're moving Hanifin you can't move Z. I wouldn't want to move Z anyway. No Gudbransson, no Lucic, no Tkachuk, no Bennett. We are in danger of becoming a soft team. Z brings some physicality that is otherwise missing on the roster.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
If the Flames acquire Olofsson as a key part of the return for Hanifin, Conroy should just go ahead and change his name to Jay Feaster.

One dimensional 27 year old upcoming UFA who can't play a lick of defense - actually even Feaster wouldn't be that dumb. All his horrendous deals at least brought back RFA's; junk RFA's but RFA's nonetheless.
I don't think that this trade is that bad. Sabres fan.:laugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Goaltender is a bigger need, but Hanifin to the Pens to replace Dumoulin would be quite nice. Hanifin and Pettersson on the left, Letang and Petry on the right in the top 4. Mix and match for fit. Ruuta, POJ, Smith, Ruhwedel rounding out the rest of the D core, and would happily send one of them back with other, bigger pieces to fill that hole on the Flames.

Funny I keep thinking Ullmark + Hall to Pit for 14 and POJ and then the Bruins trying to work something with Calgary with 14, POJ, Lorhei, Lysell, DeBrusk and Zacha as possible assets for Lindholm, Hanafin or both.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
The potential could be there, but that’s an incredibly cautious prediction. If he plays like last year, I’d be comfortable, though not ecstatic that he’s a #4. I don’t think he is what he was last year though.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
Of course Tanev isn't in the Makar/Heiskanen/Hedman (Fox doesn't belong in that group) category. He's a straight defender who can make a breakout pass and is injury prone.

I don't want to move Z. I still think there is upside there. He has these brain cramps. But you don't see 6'6" 250 guys who move like him. He makes these bizarre, horrible decisions, but he can absolutely make great plays too. Interesting guy.
Well that’s what elite is - maybe we shouldn’t call him that if he doesn’t belong in that group? Don’t get mad at me for pointing out a ridiculous comment from another poster.

I probably wouldn’t move him either - especially if Hanifin goes, but losing Hanifin does some damage to the blue line. It’s just weird that so many posters act as if we have replacements ready.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If you're moving Hanifin you can't move Z. I wouldn't want to move Z anyway. No Gudbransson, no Lucic, no Tkachuk, no Bennett. We are in danger of becoming a soft team. Z brings some physicality that is otherwise missing on the roster.
Zadorov is definitely a keeper. I'm just noting he feels like someone who really thrived under Sutter, and we'll have to see if that continues. I'd gladly re-sign him too for the right amount

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well that’s what elite is - maybe we shouldn’t call him that if he doesn’t belong in that group? Don’t get mad at me for pointing out a ridiculous comment from another poster.

I probably wouldn’t move him either - especially if Hanifin goes, but losing Hanifin does some damage to the blue line. It’s just weird that so many posters act as if we have replacements ready.
You can be elite at one thing while not being elite at others. Backlund is an elite defensive forward, he's a slightly above average offensive forward. Tanev is similar, except slightly below average offensively.

We don't have a replacement for Hanifin. Hard to just replace a top pairing defenseman. We are deep though, but if he'd sign for a number that starts with a 6 I'd sooner do that. Just doesn't sound like he will.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Zadorov is definitely a keeper. I'm just noting he feels like someone who really thrived under Sutter, and we'll have to see if that continues. I'd gladly re-sign him too for the right amount
If Zadorov has a similar season to his last one then someone will give him a contract I’m not sure I’d want lol

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes, he might not be as good next year offensively. I feel like last years goal totals might be his highest he ever has. Just that physicality, size and mobility is a rare package and one we generally lack.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This thread is drawing attention.

;)

Time will tell but Hanifin has marginal value as a trade piece.

1687199413131.jpeg

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Blackhawks should be all over Hanifin.

I realize he never developed the offensive upside people hoped, but his defensive game is so tight. Once the Hawks build back up, he’d be perfect in the Hjalmarsson shut-down role.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
You can be elite at one thing while not being elite at others. Backlund is an elite defensive forward, he's a slightly above average offensive forward. Tanev is similar, except slightly below average offensively.

We don't have a replacement for Hanifin. Hard to just replace a top pairing defenseman. We are deep though, but if he'd sign for a number that starts with a 6 I'd sooner do that. Just doesn't sound like he will.
Of course you can, that’s obvious. I responded to a comment that “Tanev is elite”. That’s word for word. That’s not saying he’s elite at one thing.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Of course you can, that’s obvious. I responded to a comment that “Tanev is elite”. That’s word for word. That’s not saying he’s elite at one thing.
Semantics I guess. I'm just wondering how you interpreted Tanev is elite to mean anything but defensively? I don't think the most orange and red glasses would see Tanev as elite offensively.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
What would hes value be? 2nd rounder? Tbh Calgary desperately need someone who can score, if he can get to the scoring spot with huberdeau passing to him it will be fine. 13 this draft will be a great prospect for us to build on as well.
It was frequently discussed that VO for a Calgary dman made sense for exactly that reason, but I always felt like it was because his goal scoring made him a player we could fleece Calgary with, not because Calgary would be a better team.

His shot is something else though. A shot like OV, a game like Brad Boyes. If 13 is what you’re in the market for he’s a fine guy to toss into the deal. You’ll probably be miserable watching VO playing top 6 minutes.

You would need to really be happy with Hanafin for 13 because VO isn’t a ton of value and imo is not of relevant value in a hanafin trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad