Sportsnet: Hanifin drawing attention

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s a pair carrying dman in his prime. They don’t grow on trees and are rarely available. Teams will line up for him. They won’t care that he isn’t big on the scoresheet.

Reactions: TK 421

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
I'd be good moving him. Only because the Flames have a surplus of d-men and could use a legit top 6 forward, who can generate their own offence consistently.b The flames need another offensive threat.

I wouldn't move Hanifin for the sake of it though, only in a good hockey trade.
I’m not sure I see this surplus you’re talking of. Without Hanifin it looks very thin, especially when we don’t have a single D prospect to make the jump:

- Andersson
- Weegar
- Tanev (injury prome and a year older)
- Kylington (after a year off)
- Zadorov (career year probably never happens again)
- Stetcher (looked very good with the team, but he is what he is at this point)

That seems very middle of the pack to me, especially when Tanev inevitably goes down.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I’m not sure I see this surplus you’re talking of. Without Hanifin it looks very thin, especially when we don’t have a single D prospect to make the jump:

- Andersson
- Weegar

That seems very middle of the pack to me, especially when Tanev inevitably goes down.
Looks pretty solid to me. It's a luxury to have another dman in there. With the Flames scoring woes and cap situation, not really one they can afford.

Reactions: Haatley

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

- Andersson
- Weegar

Gilbert is ready for full time play as an LD.

Poirier was the last cut at last year's training camp. I'm not saying he'll make the jump this year, but he is getting closer.

So is Ilya Solovyov, a solid if unspectacular player that had a very good first pro season last year. Also a LD.

Zadorov has improved every season he has been here and at age 28 is entering a d-man's prime years.

Kylington was away a year, yes, but has NHL elite skating. He'll do fine and probably pick up where he left off.

Prior to last year, Tanev played in all of the Flames games (56 in the pandemic shortened season and 82). He could just as easily play a full season next year as anyone else. He is an elite defenceman.

Weegar is going to be Giordano 2.0, but with bite.

Andersson is only 26 and improves every year.

Stecher needs to be resigned.

Stone is always lurking around for a contract.

Of this list, five players can play LD/RD (Weegar, Kylington, Zadorov, Stecher, Stone) that gives the team great flexability to plusg and play.

Flames D would be fine if Hanifin was traded. I'd prefer to keep him, but if he can fetch a good return then by all means..

Jim Shorts

Jul 24, 2022
I mentioned in another post Hannifan is going to fetch a good return for Calgary Boston boy who would be great on Bruins but just can't see what they could offer Calgary that would make sense he is a top 4 dman logs big minutes and is young.
Looking at Calgary's d they are not bad with out him top notch with him

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023

Poirier was the last cut at last year's training camp. I'm not saying he'll make the jump this year, but he is getting closer.

So is Ilya Solovyov, a solid if unspectacular player that had a very good first pro season last year. Also a LD.

Zadorov has improved every season he has been here and at age 28 is entering a d-man's prime years.

Kylington was away a year, yes, but has NHL elite skating. He'll do fine and probably pick up where he left off.

Prior to last year, Tanev played in all of the Flames games (56 in the pandemic shortened season and 82). He could just as easily play a full season next year as anyone else. He is an elite defenceman.

Of this list, five players can play LD/RD (Weegar, Kylington, Zadorov, Stecher, Stone) that gives the team great flexability to plusg and play.

Flames D would be fine if Hanifin was traded. I'd prefer to keep him, but if he can fetch a good return then by all means..
This is just incredibly optimistic, really. The odds of everything you mentioned in this post happening is unbelievable low, if not impossible.

Like, saying Zadorov improved every year when he’s been in Calgary for 2 is just odd. No way to point to any sort of trend there. More likely he had a career year.

Calling a 20 point dman elite is also just weird, no matter how good defensively.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
This is just incredibly optimistic, really. The odds of everything you mentioned in this post happening is unbelievable low, if not impossible.

Like, saying Zadorov improved every year when he’s been in Calgary for 2 is just odd. No way to point to any sort of trend there. More likely he had a career year.

Calling a 20 point dman elite is also just weird, no matter how good defensively.
Zadorov did play well under Sutter, true. He is what he is. A very good 3rd pairing guy that can play top 4 for short durations. He hits, he has long reach, and he has offensive upside. We call him Big Z or Bobby Zadoorov. Fans love him.

If your defintion of elite is solely based on scoring you may have to adjust your parameters. Tanev is a top notch shutdown D and will be in high demand even at his age.

Weegar started out slow last year, but has shown every indication that he has been and will continue to be a top 2 d-man in this league and rank highly against his peers.

Kylington still has runway and before he was off for personal reasons showed that he is more than a 3rd pairing guy.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He should be priority ahead of Lindholm for signing IMO. His game will age very well. Anything under 7 even at max term I'd sign in a second.

Flames counter with your choice of Kadri or Huberdeau. Or both. Cap dumps for cap dumps. Assets for assets.
Hmmm , holy short bus Batman , yes Hannifin at a number that starts with 6 is acceptable . You don't trade assets on an off year , you trade the guys who overplayed their actual ability last season and / or are on the verge of aging out of the league . Like Backlund {age- will be 35 at the end of this contract } , Toffoli { only his second 50+ point season of his career } , Tanev { age -will be 34 1/2 at the end of his contract , plus he's a porcelain princess thats only managed 1 full season in a 13 year career } . Naz and Hubi will find their game and you will be glad to have them , trade the other three plus Markstrom for a couple of younger stud players and bring in the young players that are ready to fill the gaps and the Flames will be a solid team to be reckoned with .

The Leafs keep saying they need D and a goalie plus a strong power style forward so lets go . Toffoli , Tanev and Markstrom for Marner and a sign and trade Bunting at a number that starts with a 4 or a 5 .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011

I Think you almost nailed it except Tanev will be 34 this Dec and has only played 82 games once in 13 seasons so he should actually go with or before Hanifin if it came down to it . Stecher if he takes a league minimum like Stoner is a no brainer hell yes , even a 1.25 like he took last year is acceptable .

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hmmm , holy short bus Batman , yes Hannifin at a number that starts with 6 is acceptable . You don't trade assets on an off year , you trade the guys who overplayed their actual ability last season and / or are on the verge of aging out of the league . Like Backlund {age- will be 35 at the end of this contract } , Toffoli { only his second 50+ point season of his career } , Tanev { age -will be 34 1/2 at the end of his contract , plus he's a porcelain princess thats only managed 1 full season in a 13 year career } . Naz and Hubi will find their game and you will be glad to have them , trade the other three plus Markstrom for a couple of younger stud players and bring in the young players that are ready to fill the gaps and the Flames will be a solid team to be reckoned with .

The Leafs keep saying they need D and a goalie plus a strong power style forward so lets go . Toffoli , Tanev and Markstrom for Marner and a sign and trade Bunting at a number that starts with a 4 or a 5 .
I don't think we will ever be glad to have Kadri or Huberdeau.

Of course I'd do the Leafs trade you propose. I just don't see a universe where they would. Marner gets crapped on constantly but he's a PPG guy who plays 2 way hockey on any team in the league. He can be a 100 point guy with the right finisher.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think we will ever be glad to have Kadri or Huberdeau.

Of course I'd do the Leafs trade you propose. I just don't see a universe where they would. Marner gets crapped on constantly but he's a PPG guy who plays 2 way hockey on any team in the league. He can be a 100 point guy with the right finisher.

He has the right finisher, it's Matthews.

There is no way in hell the Leafs touch that trade.

That's not to say they wouldn't be interested in all those players With Treliving as GM they probably would but none of them get you Marner.

Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I think Buffalo could easily get it done, assuming they aren't on his 8 team no trade list and he'd sign an extension
I mean I think Calgary wants roster players. Sabres are loaded with assets, not so much with NHL bodies that can be moved to teams desperate for a round or 2 of playoff revenue.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I mean I think Calgary wants roster players. Sabres are loaded with assets, not so much with NHL bodies that can be moved to teams desperate for a round or 2 of playoff revenue.
Id be ok with something around ur 1st and ollofsson. Maybe hanifin + vladar for 1st+ollafsson+2nd/3rd

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I mean, done, take it, but that should tell you something about what Victor is as a player. He’s more 1 dimensional than box wine.
What would hes value be? 2nd rounder? Tbh Calgary desperately need someone who can score, if he can get to the scoring spot with huberdeau passing to him it will be fine. 13 this draft will be a great prospect for us to build on as well.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean, done, take it, but that should tell you something about what Victor is as a player. He’s more 1 dimensional than box wine.
VO interests me. Yes he's one dimensional, but we have tons of 2 way forwards. Lindholm, Backlund, Mangiapane, Coleman, Dube ect. We have one natural goal scorer in Toffoli and he could be on the move. He would fit in well here. I haven't watched him close enough to know if he's got any pace. That's another issue for our forward group. The D skate well but the forwards are slow.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
He’s been given every opportunity to be THE guy in our defense group but all he’s doing now is blocking the path of a superior player in Kylington.

Useless in the offensive zone despite all the PP time. Not slow, but not really the upper echelon skater he’s advertised to be. Pretty soft in tight-checking games. He’s found his niche now as a shut-down guy that can only contain second line talent and below.

Would love nothing more than to get some good assets for him because he is overmatched in the top pairing role we keep trying to play him in. 8 more years of Hanifin would be silly after the 6 we’ve seen from him
26 yo. 40 points from the backend. Routinely healthy..

I like Killer, but the only thing he can claim to share is age. Kylington at this point cant touch the dman that Hanifin is

“He’s a top D in the league” to “he’s worse than Kylington” is QUITE the range of opinion from within the same fanbase
He is like our own Nurse, but not shitty, I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad