Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
TfSJWnv.gif

Reactions: Eye of Ra and AB13

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Is handball even a thing in the US? I'm not even talking about pro but at least school sport?
They started a program shortly before the last WC in Egypt, but withdrew because of COVID on the team. The players consist of people with dual citizensships, for example are there two semi-Danish players on their team and some Germans as well. With some funding I cant see why they wouldnt continue to build up on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I remember this getting a few people in the handball community pretty annoyed.

It’s just such an American take tho :laugh:

Never been able to figure out if they are serious, or just suuuper trolling:popcorn:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
When you say handball in America, it’s not the handball you think of. Handball to us is basically a popular prison game lol it’s a ball that you hit against a wall with your hands.

it’s actually pretty cool, I mean, shoot, it deserves being in the Olympics ahead of a bunch of other things already in the Olympics in my opinion.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
When you say handball in America, it’s not the handball you think of. Handball to us is basically a popular prison game lol it’s a ball that you hit against a wall with your hands.

it’s actually pretty cool, I mean, shoot, it deserves being in the Olympics ahead of a bunch of other things already in the Olympics in my opinion.

Yeah, the correct term in NA is Team Handball.

Reactions: Panteras

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'm probably cursed when it comes to handball. Everytime I'm watching, my team loses.

Pretty fun sport though. I'd be scared as hell to defend the line against these massive dudes with long hair and crazy eyes.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I'm probably cursed when it comes to handball. Everytime I'm watching, my team loses.

Pretty fun sport though. I'd be scared as hell to defend the line against those massive dudes with long hair and crazy eyes.

wait till the game is over and check how the game ended then watch it .

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden lead comfortably against Denmark who probably are favorites to win gold. Do the Danes just want to avoid Norway or are we this good?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Sweden lead comfortably against Denmark who probably are favorites to win gold. Do the Danes just want to avoid Norway or are we this good?
The Danes don’t care who they face tbh.

It’s a mix of Denmark having an off day - And Sweden really wanting to beat them.

Also Svan, and both Landins were spared, and Andersson is still injured.

Also wanna add, we are not favourites, we never do good after winning a tourney :laugh:

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

It’s a mix of Denmark having an off day - And Sweden really wanting to beat them.

Also wanna add, we are not favourites, we never do good after winning a tourney :laugh:
You think Sweden have realistic gold chances?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You think Sweden have realistic gold chances?
Honestly have no clue, they lost to Egypt, and have looked meh untill today - And like mentioned Denmark were poor today, and missing players.

But, Sweden has suprised before - And not sure how strong the other group is. Norway have looked weak, but in an “on paper” strong group.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Please, that's just superstition, you are the favourites. That being said, the level of the competition is high in handball, that's why it's hard to repeat.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Please, that's just superstition, you are the favourites. That being said, the level of the competition is high in handball, that's why it's hard to repeat.
Superstition my ass:laugh:

Happens everytime, they even call it “Denmark Syndrome” in Denmark.

You still consider Denmark favs after playing poorly today? No matter the reason, we looked off today.

And I am not sure about Norways level, who like Sweden, always have an extra gear against Denmark.

member 305909

Are the Swedish and Danish handball-leagues professional?

Here in Finland handball is a small sport. I have a couple of work-mates who play in the Finnish handball-league. They need a daytime job.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Superstition my ass:laugh:

Happens everytime, they even call it “Denmark Syndrome” in Denmark.

You still consider Denmark favs after playing poorly today? No matter the reason, we looked off today.

And I am not sure about Norways level, who like Sweden, always have an extra gear against Denmark.
Sure. When the sample is small. Sports is full of those examples. I haven't seen the Denmark Sweden game yet. I will watch it in the evening, so I can't say.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Sure. When the sample is small. Sports is full of those examples. I haven't seen the Denmark Sweden game yet. I will watch it in the evening, so I can't say.
Ofc, it is bound in “superstition” but the last 4 tournament wins have resulted in this.

I am not certain we will beat Norway at all, like I said, I know we were without 4 key players, but we still looked slow, lazy and way off.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
so sweden wins 4 games out of 5 and still ends 3rd in the group and have to face spain. not fair.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Here in Finland handball is a small sport. I have a couple of work-mates who play in the Finnish handball-league. They need a daytime job.

yes

but danish league is better than swedish league

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Denmark yes, fully pro.

Don’t know about the Swedish, my guess is yes.

Top clubs in Denmark can attract star players, and give decent to good salaries.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
so sweden wins 4 games out of 5 and still ends 3rd in the group and have to face spain. not fair.
It is fair - Goal difference matters - You were soundly beat by Egypt, and barely beat Bahrain, Portugal and Japan.

Today was a suprise so to speak, as Sweden outside today have looked meh at best.

Overall Egypt and Denmark have been better, so id say 3rd is fair.

Also, if you wanna win, you have to be able to beat anyone anyway.

Reactions: Eisen

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure how much it matters who you play in the next round. I would argue Germany is the weakest team from that group and they could very well win gold. So evenly matched in mens handball these days.

Can only pray Norway have finally woken up. I think they got the best team, but really haven't look good so far. For the men it would surprise me if they now get passed the next round as I don't think the issues they got are easily fixed, but you never know. Obviously a lot more optimistic on behalf of the women. They got a sensational team that is playing well. Biggest risk there is that things are just going too easy and that things get tough mentally when they end up in a tight game. Even with all the experience they got they have a tendency to get a bit stressed. Will be interesting to see.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It is fair - Goal difference matters - You were soundly beat by Egypt, and barely beat Bahrain, Portugal and Japan.

Today was a suprise so to speak, as Sweden outside today have looked meh at best.

Overall Egypt and Denmark have been better, so id say 3rd is fair.

Also, if you wanna win, you have to be able to beat anyone anyway.

winning 4 of 5 games even when we are playing bad is a good sign. beating denmark and portugal is hard.

sweden always beats egypt in wc btw, but this is the second lost in row we hav to them in olympics. Egypt, Portugal and Norway have gotten better last years.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
winning 4 of 5 games even when we are playing bad is a good sign. beating denmark and portugal is hard.

sweden always beats egypt in wc btw, but this is the second lost in row we hav to them in olympics. Egypt, Portugal and Norway have gotten better last years.
Sure, but you also have to factor in how Egypt and Denmark have played.

And Denmark beat all teams outside Sweden comfortably.

Egypt beat all teams outside Denmark comfortably.

Sweden have struggled outside the Denmark game.

Like I said Denmark were without 4 key players, and played poorly.

So not sure if it was just Denmark being poor or Sweden suddenly started playing well.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad