Hamonic Requests Trade To Western Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfel*

Ugh - this shows me that the Jets have no intention of signing what is in some ways their most impactful player.

Ugh.

EDIT: This is the "report":

I think the Islanders were offered Byfuglien and they said no,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said this morning...

Not much of a "report", is it?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Interesting. If true this indicates to me that Buff is on the market.

And Buff knows he's on the market, and other teams know he's on the market, and everyone knows what the price could be.....

So many implications with this revelation ,,,,, if true.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wonder how the boys will react to this rumor?

Not only Buff, but the other guys in the room. This situation (Buff and Ladd not signed) seems to be a dark cloud that Chevy needs to clear pretty soon.

I was curious to see Trouba get 27+ mins against the Avs. Were they seeing how he would handle that, after a so-so year so far and barely playing 20 mins a night. Those 25+ min games were Buff's. Not saying it's a Buff for Hamonic deal, just a Buff deal.

My guess is we see something happen before Christmas.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
To be fair, in the article Friedman says he thinks that the Jets offered Buff and they said no... he doesn't actually say that he has heard that it happened from any type of source.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My posts were absolutely speculation. Speculation with no inside info whatsoever. I admitted that again and again.

We have few "facts" here, that's for sure.

Never thought otherwise. My post was a 'back and forth' with another poster.

I think it has been confirmed that Hamonic has asked for a trade so not speculative. I speculate that although he said Western Canada he really means Winnipeg.

It has been reported that Snow wants a plug in replacement. I don't know whether that has been conformed or not. Might be a little speculation on the reporters part, or not. I don't call it speculative if we stick to those parameters though. Going beyond them is speculative.

Guessing what Winnipeg has or has not offered for Hamonic is certainly speculative no matter how reasonable it might be. We have had no report of what, if anything Chevy may have offered.

Some speculation can be justified if it can be backed by arguments that make sense for the teams involved. Nothing wrong with speculation at all. That is most of what we do here. We have differing opinions of what makes sense.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
And Buff knows he's on the market, and other teams know he's on the market, and everyone knows what the price could be.....

I'm not so sure about that. Wouldn't we be hearing more reports? We heard stuff when oduya and Kane were on the market.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Funny Freidman would word it that way. "I think the Jets offered Byfuglien..." If there's no truth to it, that's not cool on his part.

Seems like there is nothing really happening but the reporters don't want the story to die just yet. If, if, the Jets made an offer the Isles said no to whatever offer there was since a deal hasn't been made. For all we know, Jets could have asked for Hamonic+ for Buff, and Isles didn't like the plus or whatever. Still lots of speculation and nothing too solid, imo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Interesting. If true this indicates to me that Buff is on the market.

Not necessarily. Even if it's true it could have happened in July. It probably means that the NYI are not on his 5 team no trade list.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If we trade Buff and sign Ladd long term, I'm going to be miffed.

Agreed.

Term likely is the problem with Buff, and dollars the trouble with Ladd, imo. Not sure which is more likely to be resolved. If the other side doesn't move off their ask, trade them both, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am a huge Buff fan and IF this is true , that's a awful trade for the Jets !! Does this mean Chevy is willing to sign Ladd long term and stupid money ? God i hope not .... for good and bad Buff sells alot more tickets than boring overrated mistake prone Ladd !!!:shakehead

Buff is by far the better player. More impactful, a game-changer. That does not make it a bad trade. It is a great trade compared to at least some of the alternatives. Compared to Buff walking or to getting a 1st and a 2nd for him at the TD or to signing him to a $50 mil contract this would be a great trade. Consider Hamonic's play plus his contract and it is easy.

OTOH it could be good for the Isles too. I don't know if they could afford to sign him or not. That would be a big factor. But the Isles are borderline contenders. They have a pretty solid team. Buff could be the difference between a cup and a 2nd round exit for them.

How much would a deep cup run be worth to them? Hard to say but I can see Snow not liking the idea of a deep run and then having neither Buff nor Hamonic next year.

Adding something like a conditional 1st if Buff does not sign with them should help but that is long term so might not suit Snow either. He would need something else that would help them next year to make Buff worth considering. IDK what that could be.

The only way I can see anything with Buff working is if another team is involved.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Not only Buff, but the other guys in the room. This situation (Buff and Ladd not signed) seems to be a dark cloud that Chevy needs to clear pretty soon.

I was curious to see Trouba get 27+ mins against the Avs. Were they seeing how he would handle that, after a so-so year so far and barely playing 20 mins a night. Those 25+ min games were Buff's. Not saying it's a Buff for Hamonic deal, just a Buff deal.

My guess is we see something happen before Christmas.

Sure hope you're right. I'd far prefer it be Ladd we're trading & Buff we're signing, but we seriously need to do something here... anything

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I don't think it matters. They are professional hockey players and getting traded comes with the territory. I would be very surprised if anyone in the Jets' locker room hasn't had their names brought up in trade talks between GMs. The difference is what becomes public.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Never thought otherwise. My post was a 'back and forth' with another poster.

I think it has been confirmed that Hamonic has asked for a trade so not speculative. I speculate that although he said Western Canada he really means Winnipeg.

It has been reported that Snow wants a plug in replacement. I don't know whether that has been conformed or not. Might be a little speculation on the reporters part, or not. I don't call it speculative if we stick to those parameters though. Going beyond them is speculative.

Guessing what Winnipeg has or has not offered for Hamonic is certainly speculative no matter how reasonable it might be. We have had no report of what, if anything Chevy may have offered.

Some speculation can be justified if it can be backed by arguments that make sense for the teams involved. Nothing wrong with speculation at all. That is most of what we do here. We have differing opinions of what makes sense.

A plug in replacement?? As in Peluso or Thorburn could be included - please let it be.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed, if teams didn't know he was available they do now.

It also gives credence to Hnidy's comments that is roster changes could be coming.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Chevy's phone should be ringing right now.

To be fair, in the article Friedman says he thinks that the Jets offered Buff and they said no... he doesn't actually say that he has heard that it happened from any type of source.

So Friedman doesn't have concrete confirmation but I don't think Friedman would put it out if he didn't believe it to be true. He is not a rumour monger. 28 other GMs will be considering how Buff would fit on their teams and how they could manage the cost.

I'm sick of the speculation surrounding this. We still don't KNOW anything.

We never know anything until it is official. This is no different but it is dragging out.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't think it matters. They are professional hockey players and getting traded comes with the territory. I would be very surprised if anyone in the Jets' locker room hasn't had their names brought up in trade talks between GMs. The difference is what becomes public.

True. I look at it as they are also good friends and it's likely a bit unnerving knowing things can change in the next few months. They've played together as a core group for 5 yrs, so moving Buff or Ladd or both would be pretty unsettling for this group. 'Thinking' it may happen can be unsettling too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ugh - this shows me that the Jets have no intention of signing what is in some ways their most impactful player.

Ugh.

EDIT: This is the "report":

Not much of a "report", is it?

Just BS reporting. Completely irresponsible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we trade Buff and sign Ladd long term, I'm going to be miffed.

Why? Because you are assuming Ladd would have been chosen over Buff, either or? What if the decision to trade Buff was independent of what happens with Ladd? Maybe the lack of negotiation with Buff is because the opening ask indicated that it would take more than Chevy was willing to go for Buff. So Buff is gone either way. Then it only matters if Ladd is signed to what is a good contract for Ladd and Buff is traded for fair value.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why? Because you are assuming Ladd would have been chosen over Buff, either or? What if the decision to trade Buff was independent of what happens with Ladd? Maybe the lack of negotiation with Buff is because the opening ask indicated that it would take more than Chevy was willing to go for Buff. So Buff is gone either way. Then it only matters if Ladd is signed to what is a good contract for Ladd and Buff is traded for fair value.

Agreed both decisions should be to large part mutually exclusive from each other. If they can trade a Buff package for younger impact roster player that is cost controlled like Hamonic then it should be considered. Whether the ultimately elect to sign or deal Ladd for assets should be accounted for separately.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff is by far the better player. More impactful, a game-changer. That does not make it a bad trade. It is a great trade compared to at least some of the alternatives. Compared to Buff walking or to getting a 1st and a 2nd for him at the TD or to signing him to a $50 mil contract this would be a great trade. Consider Hamonic's play plus his contract and it is easy.

OTOH it could be good for the Isles too. I don't know if they could afford to sign him or not. That would be a big factor. But the Isles are borderline contenders. They have a pretty solid team. Buff could be the difference between a cup and a 2nd round exit for them.

There's no way they could afford him given their current salary cap and pending free agents. They would need to trade Okposo for a "song" to make it work.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad