Speculation: Hammond is a flash in the pan.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
With the state of our defense, I have a very hard time writing off the goaltending. Sure he may look pretty bad as of right now, but Anderson has looked just as garbage over the past 6 or 7 games.

Are you kidding me... look at that 4th goal. Hammond broke our teams back tonight. Anderson was not much better. I cannot believe we traded Lehner and kept Hammond. Everyone here who wanted that is a fool.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I have always been vocal about the fact that the initial plan whichwas to run Lehner and Andy until Lehner was ready, was what we should've sticked with. Lehner will be great and I never doubted that.

However, I am also pleased with the return we got.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I think Hammond has it in him to be a good backup. He's not an elite goalie, but put him behind at least an average team with capable defenseman and a coach who knows what he's doing and he will give you decent results.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What's with certain teams and ruining their goaltending situations?

Vancouver has luongo and Schneider. Gets rid of both?

Sens have Bishop and lehner. Gets rid of both?

Shouldn't they have picked one and stuck with it?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What's with certain teams and ruining their goaltending situations?

Vancouver has luongo and Schneider. Gets rid of both?

Sens have Bishop and lehner. Gets rid of both?

Shouldn't they have picked one and stuck with it?

Should have kept both Lehner and Bish

Lehner especially when he was the last legit top goalie prospect we had.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
Im glad lehner got traded, no one was complaining when hammond got us in the playoffs. Biggest mistake was trading bishop for the honey badger, had conacher panned out it may have been an alright trade but bishop has played lights out.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Well yeah.

Remember that one time we had Ben Bishop who we then traded away for a guy we later WAIVED

#JustSenatorThings

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Hammond is awful. In a perfect world we should have kept Lehner and Bishop, let them platoon for a few seasons, traded Anderson for a big haul and then traded Lehner or Bishop. Now we are stuck with a goalie with only a couple top seasons left in him and a terrible back-up. By the time we fix the defense our goalie situation is going to be crap.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Hammond is awful. In a perfect world we should have kept Lehner and Bishop, let them platoon for a few seasons, traded Anderson for a big haul and then traded Lehner or Bishop. Now we are stuck with a goalie with only a couple top seasons left in him and a terrible back-up. By the time we fix the defense our goalie situation is going to be crap.
The sad thing is you can't argue ''But if we kept Bishop we wouldn't have Conacher!'' either because we ****ING WAIVED HIM. Giving bishop away for basically free hurts my face.

Christ, Lehner and Bishop would have been a great wombo combo

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don't believe there is any denying it. He cannot stop a thing.

May want to give this some thought:

Rick Wamsley disagrees with you. He told Bryan Murray that Hammond was the real thing so they signed him and traded Lehner. It was also Wamsley who not too long before that recommended they trade Bishop and keep Anderson and Lehner.

As we are frequently reminded here, professional NHL managers and coaches know more than fans so unless you are in that job category you must be wrong. :)

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
May want to give this some thought:

Rick Wamsley disagrees with you. He told Bryan Murray that Hammond was the real thing so they signed him and traded Lehner. It was also Wamsley who not too long before that recommended they trade Bishop and keep Anderson and Lehner.

As we are frequently reminded here, professional NHL managers and coaches know more than fans so unless you are in that job category you must be wrong. :)
k can we pls fire him then? Imagine if we had kept Bishop doe.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Code:
Well we would have still still sucked because of our defense, but then in that alternate reality our defense must have been good?
We'd be in better shape at least at goalie instead of now we're just staring at Anderson hoping he can still do it while realizing Hammond is kinda not good after a once in a life time 20 game stint.

Like seriously nothing would be different since we gave Bishop away for basically free. Instead of being **** errywhere at last we'd be good at goalie.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Well at least we have blue chip goaltending prospect Matt O'Conner

The Redden Rocket

Nov 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
I always find these posts funny! Hindsight is 20/20,

We got Bishop for what a 2nd? from St. Louis? and traded him for at the time could of been decent if it panned out? Lehner still needs to play a full season and show he can be clutch all year before he is anything to me. Really think Ottawa needs to make some trades and draft high this year, even pick up another first if possible cause picking at the back is not helping them long term or short term.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hammond was signed to be a cheap backup goalie, not the saviour of the team...

We traded Lehner because he had played like hot garbage two years running for us; he was like the Cowen of goaltending, gave you just enough to think he might have figured it out, then bam... he looked like an AHL drop out.

The team's got bigger issues than goaltending, and while goaltending might not have given us a chance to win the game last night, it was by no means a guaranteed victory had we gotten a good performance by the goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad