Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Good post. The only thing I'd say is we are still very fresh off the great season. Will fans still feel the same way in 4 years after HAM has 3 6-10 place finishes in a row (hypothetically speaking)? The ones who understand junior hockey will, but in every fan base that is the minority

Hamilton will likely suffer from giving up Roberts, McCourt, and McMichael next season; but, the team is not in bad shape pick wise, really. They had two 2nds for ‘18, only missing a 2nd for ‘19, have a full slate for ‘20, and won’t owe ‘24 & ‘25 - 2nds to London unless Thomas returns. With extra 4-6 round picks Hamilton does have balancing out those missing, they are short 4-5 -2nds & 2 -3rds. They will get more than that back with just trading two of Saigeon, Strome, Enstwhile; or just Saigeon, then Kalyev next season. Should they unload all of Entswhile, Naatinen, Saigeon, & Strome; they will return player(s) and be well in the black for picks

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Kaden Fulcher's struggling a little in his first taste of the pros--3.04 GAA, .870 SV% with a 0-1 record in Toledo.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Just to be clear, Kaden allowed 3 goals, one of them while the other team was on the PP, in his pro debut. So he's played a grand total of one game...and apparently he's "struggling a little". LOL.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Zachary Roy starting on back-to-back games--it pretty much guarantees now Matsos has basically named him the #1 goalie, as he should.

And they're already up 2-0 early.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Agree with this. This is always the dilemma for junior hockey franchises and especially newer ones. Just as you start to build your fan base you rebuild...

Very disappointing attendance so far this year. I was hoping for a carryover from the finals last year, but it hasn't happened so far.

I was hoping more carry over at the start of the season. That said, the season ticket holder pickup looked a lot more crowded this year.

That said, it's always this way for the Bulldogs, even back in the AHL days. Until the Ti-Cats season is done, the team's attendance is generally low.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I still think that Robert Thomas will be back in a week or so. He played less than 7 minutes last night. I think St Louis would rather see him play 20 minutes per night. I guess we will see...

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I still think that Robert Thomas will be back in a week or so. He played less than 7 minutes last night. I think St Louis would rather see him play 20 minutes per night. I guess we will see...

Hard to say--but don't expect him to stay long--he'll be dealt to a contender by Christmas if he does return.

Meanwhile--I think I jumped the gun on Zachary Roy--Gennies are lighting him up--5-5 in the 3rd, as Oshawa has come back from being down 5-1 earlier..

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I was hoping more carry over at the start of the season. That said, the season ticket holder pickup looked a lot more crowded this year.

That said, it's always this way for the Bulldogs, even back in the AHL days. Until the Ti-Cats season is done, the team's attendance is generally low.

And unfortunately, with the Ti-cats postseason bound, Bulldogs will be waiting a while for fans to show up--likely around Christmas, as is typical for this franchise.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win! Kaliyev nets the game winner in OT, and a 6-5 victory for Hamilton.

3 points for Kaliyev (2G, 1A), 2 goals for Saigeon, 2 points for Strome (hopefully he gets going soon).

As I said, may have jumped the gun a little on giving Roy the starting job--he got lit up for 5 goals on 39 shots(mostly during the last 2 periods), which likely means Matsos will be turning back to Donofrio next game in Owen Sound on Wednesday.

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Oshawa was never down 5-0. The Bulldogs pick up the 2 points so all is good.
Sorry about that--it's 5-1 Oshawa was down. Still, even with the 2 points, Bulldogs need better defense--no way this team should've blown such a big lead and nearly lose the game.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Bulldogs win! Kaliyev nets the game winner in OT, and a 6-5 victory for Hamilton.

3 points for Kaliyev (2G, 1A), 2 goals for Saigeon, 2 points for Strome (hopefully he gets going soon).

As I said, may have jumped the gun a little on giving Roy the starting job--he got lit up for 5 goals on 39 shots(mostly during the last 2 periods), which likely means Matsos will be turning back to Donofrio next game in Owen Sound on Wednesday.

I thought Roy played really well. Got caught small in the net on a couple of the goals but more than made up for it with some big saves I thought. He'd be the starter for my team going forward (unless he really falters) if I'm Matsos

I'd be excited about Avery Hayes getting top 6 minutes once some of the big names are moved too if I was a Bulldogs fan

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win a shootout 7-6!

Matt Strome with 4 A, Kaliyev with 3G, 1A, Entwistle with 2 G, 1A.. but in reality, the Bulldogs did not deserve to win this game, period--giving up 47 shots to the Attack and leaving Donofrio out to dry again. They need DJ King back ASAP!

hammer4424

Sep 28, 2018
Bulldogs in Sudbury tonight, should be a good one, who starts in net tonight for the Bulldogs?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
And Donofrio's night is over after being lit up for 4 goals on 11 shots. Perhaps it's time to give the #1 job to Roy or trade for a better backup? Because Donofrio is not an OHL calibre starter, period.

And they need DJ King back in the lineup ASAP--Landry (-5), Mattinen (-4)..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Zachary Roy has stabilized the game--and the Bulldogs have clawed back, but still trail 5-4 after 2.. Kaliyev with another huge night with 3 points.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good news--Kaliyev with a 3 point night, Matt Strome with 1G and 1A Zachary Roy mops up Donofrio's mess allowing just 2 goals on 20 shots--but the Bulldogs still lose 7-5.

Bad News--Kade Landry 2 A (-6!!), Donofrio 4 G on 11 shots--time for Matsos to bench him or Staios to release him and trade for a better goalie to help Zachary Roy--because at this point, Donofrio's trade value is zero, and he's a liability to the Bulldogs at this point, and would likely not make most teams in the OHL as a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad