Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
What could derail a rebuild, though is if the Bulldogs play better than expected if Kaliyev has a huge year.. which will make it difficult for the Bulldogs to sell.

Reality is, though, a full-blown selloff is needed to recoup picks, and hopefully aim to contend by the next time the OHL's turn for a Memorial Cup comes in 2021--of which the Bulldogs will be a bidder (IF a new arena gets built or FirstOntario is heavily renovated).

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Fronts fan coming in piece, how do the Bulldogs look this year? Rebuilding or able to go for another run? Just curious.

In my opinion, we are in a wind down year, and should be selling this year. We still have enough talented veteran players that a low to mid playoff seed seems likely, but I don't think enough to make a run for the cup. Next year though, will likely be a train wreck year as Saigeon, Mattinien are OAs and I believe we have 8 players who would then become OAs.

What could derail a rebuild, though is if the Bulldogs play better than expected if Kaliyev has a huge year.. which will make it difficult for the Bulldogs to sell.

Reality is, though, a full-blown selloff is needed to recoup picks, and hopefully aim to contend by the next time the OHL's turn for a Memorial Cup comes in 2021--of which the Bulldogs will be a bidder (IF a new arena gets built or FirstOntario is heavily renovated).

To this, I will say one player does not a team make. If the team does play better then expected (I think anything above 5th in the east would be far surpassing expectations), you conversely don't necessarily need to recoup draft picks right away, given the team has 6 rookies on the roster who are carrying a decent amount of weight.

That said, I just don't see that happening. The team would have to be a top 5 team in the league at the deadline and it being clear the rookies are getting a lot of ice time and production to even humor that, and so far it's been the Kaliyev and Saigeon show (as far as offense) and Donofrio getting odd man rushed fairly constantly. Even if the team does well, you take a page from the Knights last year (who were a 5th place team, almost 4th). You build up as much of a lead as you can early in the season, and sell at the deadline. Given the playoff experience our vets have, plenty of teams will want to pay to make a push.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Welcome to the Hamilton board!

I'd expect a full rebuild. I would imagine Kingston and Hamilton are both in similar situations.

Most of the team that we had last year has either graduated or been promoted to the pros. With all due respect to our defencemen, the blue line is fairly weak with a lot of young players (aside from Mattinen and Landry). Our top 6 up front looks good and I think the bottom 6 could develop well. However, I think most fans are expecting the Bulldogs will likely look to recoup picks/prospects for some of the guys who would bring a good return, much like Kingston might look to do with Jason Robertson. Overall I think Hamilton will still make a push for a playoff spot but finish around #7 in the east.

Any thoughts on age of D, prospects Hamilton would be looking for in a trade? I'm hoping Guelph would be a good fit/trade partner for Strome/Saigeon.

Hanley is currently paired with Merkley as the top D pairing in Guelph... He looks good so far, steady mentor/responsible.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
3-0 already. Strome, Kaliyev and Fleischer have goals so far, Donofrio is shutting out the Petes in net.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
My comment about a rebuild potentially being derailed may be partially ringing true--Bulldogs up 6-0 now, as Stevens, Nurse, and Kaliyev(again) pick up goals.

Kaliyev's got a 3 point night.. really trying to improve his draft stock and making it even riskier for the Bulldogs to be able to keep him, at the risk of losing him for nothing after the 2018-19 season because he ends up staying on an NHL club. After all, he is projected as a top 10 pick..

If this is how the Bulldogs season is going to go and they surprisingly are a high seed--Staios is going to have problems, as the draft cupboard and young players group in Hamilton is bare.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Can’t wait to see how the dipsh** posters over on the main boards that had Arthur Kaliyev outside of the 1st round of next year’s NHL draft start walking that nonsense back.

I mean, I get that you want to make your draft rankings interesting, but ranking a kid in the 30’s that had a 31 goal 16 year old rookie season in the OHL is only interesting in how dumb your rankings look. Very few players have done what Kaliyev did last year. It was a exceptional. He’s averaging 3 points a game this year so far and will end up at well over a Ppg by year’s end. He’s going top 10 next June.

Reactions: LDN

vince

Dec 6, 2017
My comment about a rebuild potentially being derailed may be partially ringing true--Bulldogs up 6-0 now, as Stevens, Nurse, and Kaliyev(again) pick up goals.

Kaliyev's got a 3 point night.. really trying to improve his draft stock and making it even riskier for the Bulldogs to be able to keep him, at the risk of losing him for nothing after the 2018-19 season because he ends up staying on an NHL club. After all, he is projected as a top 10 pick..

If this is how the Bulldogs season is going to go and they surprisingly are a high seed--Staios is going to have problems, as the draft cupboard and young players group in Hamilton is bare.

Kaliyev at this point is not a top ten player regardless if he scores 50 goals this year. He will not be playing in the NHL next year unless he not only scores, but hustles and plays a better defensive game, builds up his strength, and wins some battles in the corner for the puck. This may come in a few years or it may not, BUT he will definitely not play in the NHL at his current level.

Robert Thomas was steps ahead of him as an overall NHL calibre player in his draft year and couldnt crack the St. Louis Blues roster. I cant understand the rationale of Kaliyev being an automatic for the NHL next year when its just not about scoring as many goals as you can. This is junior hockey and easier to score but if the other parts of your game dont add up, not only will he be drafted lower but he will have no chance to play in the NHL upon being drafted. Let's face facts here.

And......I am a big fan of Kaliyev's, but i am also realistic. If he turns himself into more than just a goal scorer, as opposed to just a shooter (ie he is not a skater and playmaker, he is more of just a shooter... his game needs work but he is still young) then he has somewhat of a chance to play in year one.

All the currents overagers like Gleason, Caamano, Studenic, Stillman and Fulcher who are physically ahead of Kaliyev and 3 years older are not even able to crack an NHL roster so how could Kaliyev on scoring alone upon being drafted???

Sit back and think it out for a bit.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Kaliyev at this point is not a top ten player regardless if he scores 50 goals this year. He will not be playing in the NHL next year unless he not only scores, but hustles and plays a better defensive game, builds up his strength, and wins some battles in the corner for the puck. This may come in a few years or it may not, BUT he will definitely not play in the NHL at his current level.

Robert Thomas was steps ahead of him as an overall NHL calibre player in his draft year and couldnt crack the St. Louis Blues roster. I cant understand the rationale of Kaliyev being an automatic for the NHL next year when its just not about scoring as many goals as you can. This is junior hockey and easier to score but if the other parts of your game dont add up, not only will he be drafted lower but he will have no chance to play in the NHL upon being drafted. Let's face facts here.

And......I am a big fan of Kaliyev's, but i am also realistic. If he turns himself into more than just a goal scorer, as opposed to just a shooter (ie he is not a skater and playmaker, he is more of just a shooter... his game needs work but he is still young) then he has somewhat of a chance to play in year one.

All the currents overagers like Gleason, Caamano, Studenic, Stillman and Fulcher who are physically ahead of Kaliyev and 3 years older are not even able to crack an NHL roster so how could Kaliyev on scoring alone upon being drafted???

Sit back and think it out for a bit.

Just because he goes top 10 doesn’t have to mean that he will play in the NHL next year. I personally don’t think he will. But I do personally think he is going to be a highly sought after player in the draft.

Barry Trotz says the hardest thing to do in the NHL is score. Kaliyev has an elite level shot and offensive instincts. But in spite of those unteachable gifts he isn’t a 1st rounder because he needs to hustle more? I mean come on. You say he needs to add size. Well, what prospect doesn’t, but honestly the kid is already what 6’1” or 6’2” and probably close to 190 lbs. And his defensive game? Every player under 20 needs to work on that. The fact remains though, you can not teach the offensive gifts that he possesses.

When it comes to Robert Thomas, you won’t get any argument from me. He is elite and was the steal of the ‘17 draft, no question. Fortunately for me, St. Louis is my team, so I’ve been following him closely. It’s worth noting that Jordan Kyrou (similar to Kaliyev at least in terms of him being an offensive catalyst but with many of the things that people consider knocks against him - play away from the puck, defensive awarenesss, intensity) is expected to start on what could be considered the Blues’ #1 line with Schwartz and Schenn. It just goes to show how much of a premium can be placed on offensive ability in today’s NHL.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm new to this board and a season ticket holder. I really can't see Kaliyev in the NHL for a few years. He has a next level shot for sure, but physically he just isn't there. He rarely wins a puck battle and that will need to drastically improve before he makes the next step.

Trying not to overeact to todays game, but our defence look terrible. Of course that is to be expected with the substantial losses at that position.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good home opener--but the Bulldogs hand over an extra point to the 67s as they lose 4-3 in OT.

Kaliyev is up to 6 goals now (10 pts. in 4 games), Saigeon with a shorty.. unfortunately, the defense still stinks.

Staios really needs to get another D-man on this roster ASAP-especially considering they're wasting an OA spot on Owen Burnell--who has been healthy-scratched every game so far. Hopefully this week something happens..especially with a 3 in 3 next weekend (Oshawa, Peterborough, Windsor)--because having only 6 D on the roster is unsustainable.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Good home opener--but the Bulldogs hand over an extra point to the 67s as they lose 4-3 in OT.

Kaliyev is up to 6 goals now (10 pts. in 4 games), Saigeon with a shorty.. unfortunately, the defense still stinks.

Staios really needs to get another D-man on this roster ASAP-especially considering they're wasting an OA spot on Owen Burnell--who has been healthy-scratched every game so far. Hopefully this week something happens..especially with a 3 in 3 next weekend (Oshawa, Peterborough, Windsor)--because having only 6 D on the roster is unsustainable.

Sarnia has 2 pretty good OA’s defensemen and 1 will need to be traded. Bulldogs should be all over that.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Glad to see Entwistle get the C. Have spoken to him a few times and you can just tell that he is a leader.

Reactions: OSA

hammer4424

Sep 28, 2018
Curious to what Hamilton is going to do. Clearly the defence needs to be upgraded if they want to contend or maybe they are content with playing the young guys to gain experience for next year and beyond. Also goaltending, are they going to ride Donofrio the rest of the way given his mediocre play, and have they totally given up on Roy, has not played a minute yet this year, not sure what the game plan is there.

Reactions: digiblader

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Curious to what Hamilton is going to do. Clearly the defence needs to be upgraded if they want to contend or maybe they are content with playing the young guys to gain experience for next year and beyond. Also goaltending, are they going to ride Donofrio the rest of the way given his mediocre play, and have they totally given up on Roy, has not played a minute yet this year, not sure what the game plan is there.

Zachary Roy should start this weekend.. but the most likely reason Donofrio is being played so much is likely to boost trade value, as the Bulldogs are likely to undergo a full-blown selloff at the deadline, even if they're in contention--because they need to restock their bare draft cupboard and need to get some young players who'll be there if the Bulldogs bid for a Memorial Cup in 2021 (pending new arena/FOC renos), because trying to win now risks putting the Bulldogs in a very bad spot in 2019/20, as much of the roster graduates, plus there's the risk Kaliyev is lost to the NHL(though unlikely)--and even if he returns, the Bulldogs are likely to end up trading him next season regardless, considering how depleted the 2019/20 roster will be.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Looks like Hamilton has traded for Dman Josh Wainman from Erie......not sure of all the details

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Looks like Hamilton has traded for Dman Josh Wainman from Erie......not sure of all the details

We'll see--but I guess Staios realized having just 6 D on the roster is unsustainable--especially with so many 3 in 3s coming up and no defensemen in their system left that want to sign with the Bulldogs. So the trade route was his only option.

Wainman has yet to play a game this season.. but scored 4 G and 12 A last season in Erie, but the +/- was ghastly.. mostly a depth D for the Bulldogs so that they don't end up like Flint right now--shorthanded on D and getting killed every night.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Wainman is a solid 3rd pairing guy, maybe 2nd pairing if you're really stretched thin. Decent puck mover. Good pickup for just a 10th.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Wainman is a solid 3rd pairing guy, maybe 2nd pairing if you're really stretched thin. Decent puck mover. Good pickup for just a 10th.
Thanks for the info. Is Wainman mainly a stay at home D?

Our defence is fairly thin. Mattinen and Landry are the only D we have that have OHL experience. The next player of note is DJ King (18 years old) who played for the US National Development team. Glad to see the Bulldogs have added to the blue line.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Gennies are jumping on the Bulldogs' inexperienced D so far--outshooting Hamilton by a wide margin.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
3-0 Gennies--Bulldogs getting badly outshot 20-9, as the D has been terrible tonight, leaving Nick Donofrio out to dry.. we might see a Zachary Roy sighting tonight providing Laise/Matsos have any confidence in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad