Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
And the bus legs have been shaken off--Gennies now up 3-2 after 2. Unfortunately for Zachary Roy, the defense has struggled--and he has to stay out there, as the backup tonight is a Jr. C goalie only usable in absolute emergency in Riley Maskell..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good news: Better defense tonight (only 23 shots given up). Saigeon with 2G, Avery Hayes picks up one as well.

Bad news--Zachary Roy showed rookie jitters, as he's lit up for 5 goals as the Bulldogs lose 5-3 to the Gennies.

With the loss, Bulldogs are now where they were expected to be--bottom of the East(7th, tied with Barrie), with issues with young and/or mediocre defense and inexperienced goaltending. It shows this team is heading headfirst towards a major rebuild..

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
That end of game too many men penalty was a terrible call by the ref. We had long pulled the goalie, but I suppose such is life. Anyways, what I'd be looking at if I was Matsos is cleaning up the conga line to the box. In particular a lot more speed skating being done. There has been a plague of calls due to players getting outrun along the boards and having to give a hook or a tug to stop a break on net. There's been a bit too much grabbing as of late, with King's hold this game being on of the worst offenders.

Reactions: digiblader

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Forgot to also mention this--expect Branch to hand down a multi-game suspension to Mackenzie Entwistle, as he was tossed for abusing an official.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Just a terrible call by the ref. I thought that they were bad all night, but that too many men call was a complete joke. Bulldogs actually played well enough to win that game.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Just a terrible call by the ref. I thought that they were bad all night, but that too many men call was a complete joke. Bulldogs actually played well enough to win that game.

It was because Roy started to the bench but then realized the Gens had the puck so he turned around, but the 6th skater was already on the ice to break up the 2-on-1 attempt. Can't let a guy jump on as the 6th man, while the goalie is still on, to break up an odd-man rush. that call will be made the majority of the time. Roy showed his inexperience there

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
It was because Roy started to the bench but then realized the Gens had the puck so he turned around, but the 6th skater was already on the ice to break up the 2-on-1 attempt. Can't let a guy jump on as the 6th man, while the goalie is still on, to break up an odd-man rush. that call will be made the majority of the time. Roy showed his inexperience there

I know why they called it, but he only turned for a split second and didn't change the play at all. Terrible call imo.

vince

Dec 6, 2017
That split second caused the penalty unfortunately. It was the proper call.

1000% agree and i am a Bulldogs fan. Roy was enough away from the bench when he did the double move which ended up causing the penalty. The sixth man was already on the ice.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good news--Kaliyev with another goal, outplayed North Bay (shots 33-18)

Bad news--Zachary Roy shaky again (3 goals on 18 shots), Bulldogs offense did nothing against Propp, as Hamilton loses another game, 3-2, and falls out of the top 8 in the East.

Regression has hit this team hard.. as the offense dries up and inexperience/mediocrity with the defense and goaltending are exposed.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Deserved a better fate today.

They had Strome, Saigeon and Kaliyev back together. I liked Fridays lines better. More scoring balance.

I do like the play of a couple of their 16 yr olds. Michael Renwick looks solid on D (not easy at that age), and Avery Hayes is a very good skater with nice hands.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Deserved a better fate today.

They had Strome, Saigeon and Kaliyev back together. I liked Fridays lines better. More scoring balance.

I do like the play of a couple of their 16 yr olds. Michael Renwick looks solid on D (not easy at that age), and Avery Hayes is a very good skater with nice hands.

I tweeted it, but moving Nurse soon makes a ton of sense. Get Hayes up in the lineup in your top 6 playing with Enwistle and get some picks back

Reactions: Rounder8

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I tweeted it, but moving Nurse soon makes a ton of sense. Get Hayes up in the lineup in your top 6 playing with Enwistle and get some picks back

Won't be just Nurse being moved--Strome, Entwistle and Saigeon will be gone too, as all 3 are graduating players after this season, as the Bulldogs will be going full rebuild and trying to get a high pick.

At least then, Hayes will have more chance to play minutes.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Glad to see the defense step up, and a lot of the penalties cleaned up. Wasn't overly impressive by the officiating today, but today was simply put a tough break. I will give North Bay a lot of credit, as they were on the Dogs like a bad rash, but never did quite enough to earn a penalty.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Won't be just Nurse being moved--Strome, Entwistle and Saigeon will be gone too, as all 3 are graduating players after this season, as the Bulldogs will be going full rebuild and trying to get a high pick.

At least then, Hayes will have more chance to play minutes.

I know that, but Saigeon/Entwistle/Strome will be bigger returns, so you'll wait until closer to the deadline. to me it would make sense to move Nurse now and give Hayes 2 months of playing with legit NHL drafted talent

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I know that, but Saigeon/Entwistle/Strome will be bigger returns, so you'll wait until closer to the deadline. to me it would make sense to move Nurse now and give Hayes 2 months of playing with legit NHL drafted talent

Agree 100% with this post. He had a chance to do it on Friday and scored a nice goal. It could do wonders for his confidence.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Double header this weekend. Fronts and Attack coming to town. I have to admit, I'm not quite as confident that we'll best Owen Sound a second time.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
WTF is going on?? Down 4-0 to last place Kingston! At least Donofrio is back today.. but has he or the defense given up?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs lose 5-1 to Kingston in a penalty-filled affair.. with Hamilton's penalty kill being awful (Kingston went 3/5 on the PP)

Saigeon with the only goal for the Bulldogs, and Donofrio was awful in his return, letting in 5 of the 24 shots.

Suddenly, it's soon going to be a battle of tanking teams for the #2 pick (Flint is basically locked at #1 because that organization is a circus)--and Hamilton will be part of it, because this team looks nowhere close to being a contender.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Worst game of the season so far. They didn't come to play. It was nice to see Avery Hayes get top 6 minutes today. Unfortunately I thought that it was his worst game of the season.

The highlight was the Mutter fight. Other than that it was almost unwatchable at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad