Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Yeah, little question the Defense is the weak link on the team right now. Don't really blame Donofrio on this one, there was really two goals he should have had, and the rest were deflections or bad screens that caused problems. He also made a couple great saves that game. Propp really deserves a lot of credit on this one with some of the saves he made.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Loads of goals, no D, and a ugly Bulldogs loss by a 7-5 margin. As I've said before--Staios needs to trade for another D-Man ASAP! Kade Landry(-5!) and Nick Mattinen(-4) were awful.. basically costing the Bulldogs goals.

On the plus side, Saigeon and Kaliyev filled the stat sheet, Saigeon with 5 points, and Kaliyev with a 3 point night. Expect Zachary Roy to get the start tomorrow--Donofrio, with awful D behind him and the fact he's a major downgrade from Fulcher, was lit up for 6 goals (1 empty-netter) on 31 shots.

Fix that D ASAP! This game shows the danger of only having 6 D-men on the roster.. lots of scoring offset by giving up a ton of goals.
Saigeon and Kaliyev were amazing and it didn't matter who was with them. Garagan in the 1st and Strome for the 2nd and 3rd. Once you add Entwistle to 17 and 34 you're looking at one of the better lines in the league. 18/19/11 would likely be a solid 2nd line. Add some help on D and perhaps Roy is the answer in net and you're looking a a very solid team. Too bad you don't come back to North Bay til our 2nd last home game and I assume it will be a different team by then.

Good game dogs.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Just noticed 2nd round pick was assigned to Oakville Blades of OJHL. Anyone surprised?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Just noticed 2nd round pick was assigned to Oakville Blades of OJHL. Anyone surprised?
Davis Young? Not really.. he can't be assigned to the Bulldogs this year due to 16-year old limits--as the Bulldogs already have 4 16-year olds on the roster, plus there's the risk of him choosing the NCAA route over the OHL.

But most likely he chose Oakville to play regularly--because he isn't getting playing time in Hamilton right now. Maybe in 2019 considering the likely heavy turnover on the roster after this season.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
More like Mattinen and Hanley that stuck out like a sore thumb. Gravelle and his partner were +2 I believe.

Landry actually. As for Mattinen--it makes you wonder why the Leafs and Sens refused to give him a contract. Let's wait and see what happens tonight--another poor defensive performance and we might see Staios making a move for D help.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Landry actually. As for Mattinen--it makes you wonder why the Leafs and Sens refused to give him a contract. Let's wait and see what happens tonight--another poor defensive performance and we might see Staios making a move for D help.
Oooops. You are correct, my bad. I used to think Mattinen was a really good player, perhaps early season rust but yes based on last night it is not surprising nobody has signed him.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Better game tonight, as the Bulldogs beat Barrie 4-2. Mattinen rebounds with a +2 rating and 1G. Kaliyev, Strome and Saigeon had 2 point nights, and Donofrio saved 28 of 30 shots in the victory.

However, the discipline was lacking tonight--lucky Barrie only went 1 for 8 on the power play--this game should've been much closer than it ended up--but Barrie just didn't have it tonight.

Bulldogs have a week to regroup as they ready for their home opener next weekend.

And prayers for David Matsos--let's hope he makes a recovery.

Reactions: Hammer9001

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Anybody have a report on Fleischer? Is he good? Bad? Stuck behind a loaded team?
Can't say much about him myself. With so many new guys the team, I'm still learning jersey numbers as I watch on tv. Certainly been hearing his name when the play by play guys call the game. I believe he has been playing 3rd line, which is normal for an import player or top rookies starting the season.

Reactions: S E P H

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Kudos to the team for this year's give aways with the season tickets. I'm to understand you had to renew earlier to get them all, but still nice to see. A Championship T-Shirt, a Robert Thomas Bobblehead, a Championship poster and a very high quality booklet with photos from last year's run.

Reactions: StormWatcher

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Kudos to the team for this year's give aways with the season tickets. I'm to understand you had to renew earlier to get them all, but still nice to see. A Championship T-Shirt, a Robert Thomas Bobblehead, a Championship poster and a very high quality booklet with photos from last year's run.
I just picked up my package this morning and I was thinking the same thing. They really hooked us up this year, it was nice to see

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Kaden Fulcher has been optioned to the ECHL's Toledo Walleye, as expected. You'll have to see him when Brampton plays Toledo--he was not expected back in Hamilton. So it's Donofrio and Roy in net for the rest of the season--until Donofrio is likely dealt at midseason for picks and players.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
...So it's Donofrio and Roy in net for the rest of the season--until Donofrio is likely dealt at midseason for picks and players.

Why would they trade him? His trade value will be very low as a '99 back-up goalie on a good team

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Why would they trade him? His trade value will be very low as a '99 back-up goalie on a good team
Not part of the Bulldogs future, and the Bulldogs have Marco Costantini in their system who'll likely be the backup to Zachary Roy next year.

Oh and Donofrio is a starter this season. Zero chance the Bulldogs keep him as an OA--especially if the team is going to be very bad next year with Strome/Entwistle and Saigeon gone, and Kaliyev possibly lost to the NHL as he's projected as a top pick--and is already showing signs it may be difficult for him to stay in Hamilton beyond this season with his talent.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not part of the Bulldogs future, and the Bulldogs have Marco Costantini in their system who'll likely be the backup to Zachary Roy next year.

Oh and Donofrio is a starter this season. Zero chance the Bulldogs keep him as an OA--especially if the team is going to be very bad next year with Strome/Entwistle and Saigeon gone, and Kaliyev possibly lost to the NHL as he's projected as a top pick--and is already showing signs it may be difficult for him to stay in Hamilton beyond this season with his talent.

Gotcha. I don’t think they’d be able to move Donofrio for more than like a 4th though. He isn’t an OA candidate for any team next year so it’d just be a team who’s going to win this year who wanted to use him as a backup

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Fronts fan coming in piece, how do the Bulldogs look this year? Rebuilding or able to go for another run? Just curious.
Welcome to the Hamilton board!

I'd expect a full rebuild. I would imagine Kingston and Hamilton are both in similar situations.

Most of the team that we had last year has either graduated or been promoted to the pros. With all due respect to our defencemen, the blue line is fairly weak with a lot of young players (aside from Mattinen and Landry). Our top 6 up front looks good and I think the bottom 6 could develop well. However, I think most fans are expecting the Bulldogs will likely look to recoup picks/prospects for some of the guys who would bring a good return, much like Kingston might look to do with Jason Robertson. Overall I think Hamilton will still make a push for a playoff spot but finish around #7 in the east.

Reactions: StormWatcher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad