Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Jayden Jensen? Based on the training camp roster--yes. Especially considering he's booked for the NAHL's Springfield Jr. Blues, and looks as of right now, headed the NCAA route.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I know it's pre-season, but not a good start for the Bulldogs, losing 5-2 to Flint. Donofrio really struggled in his first start. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign or the fact Donofrio may be a major downgrade from Fulcher.. Zach Roy likely gets a chance next game.

On the plus side, D'Agostino and Morrison picked up goals. Bad news is that former Bulldogs player Connor Roberts had a hat trick.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Preseason at any level is so unpredictable and unrealistic from actual season outcomes. Personally, I wouldn't care if they lost by worse margin. Even DiPietro didn't have a great performance in an inter-squad game a day or two ago. Hamilton had a 10-0 loss again SSM in the regular season and people saw Hamilton as a complete write-off if they met in the playoffs. How did that go?

There are so many variables in the preseason, and since it's in Buffalo with few fans, the amount of information from the game is limited. Generally speaking, prospects are going to try to bust their butts to hopefully crack the roster, while vets are going to treat it as a game to loosen up and get back in the season groove.

Hamilton also has 2 significant changes to the blueline, which I expect will be a work in progress, and we will see some struggles throughout the season:
1. Much different and younger defence. At most 3 guys could return (Gleason, Mattinen, Landry) - providing nobody else is traded.
2. This may shock fans, and I don't recall it being talked about here, but Vince Laise will be in charge of defence. He has always been in charge of the forwards (here and in Erie) and special teams. Staios and Matsos want to help him develop as a better overall coach, just like they want to develop players. He is new to coaching and learning defence. While rookies are learning our system, Laise will be learning how to coach defence, and figuring out his own system. This will take time and there will be some struggles.

Rogger William

Aug 31, 2018
I know it's pre-season, but not a good start for the Bulldogs, losing 5-2 to Flint. Donofrio really struggled in his first start. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign or the fact Donofrio may be a major downgrade from Fulcher.. Zach Roy likely gets a chance next game.

On the plus side, D'Agostino and Morrison picked up goals. Bad news is that former Bulldogs player Connor Roberts had a hat trick.

I attended today’s game and it was not Donfrios fault. There were so many breakdowns which caused the goals. He had to save at least 6-9 breakaways and kept the game in play for the young dogs.
On the other hand I liked what I saw out out the team. They just need to straighten up the defensive zone and breakouts and they will be ok.
Nurse looked quick as always and King used his body well. The dogs need some work but it’s preseason and that’s why they play it.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
What is the latest on Round 1 Import pick Philip Broberg? Is he coming later?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Mattinen is likely not long for the Bulldogs roster--as previously mentioned, he leaves for Ottawa rookie camp, and being a OA, if he's signed, he likely ends up in Belleville(AHL) or Brampton(ECHL) instead of Hamilton.
Bulldogs may need to sign/trade for another D-man between now and Opening night.. with some of their excess forwards possibly being used as currency.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Mattinen is likely not long for the Bulldogs roster--as previously mentioned, he leaves for Ottawa rookie camp, and being a OA, if he's signed, he likely ends up in Belleville(AHL) or Brampton(ECHL) instead of Hamilton.
Bulldogs may need to sign/trade for another D-man between now and Opening night.. with some of their excess forwards possibly being used as currency.

Gens will likely have Ian Blacker and/or Sean Allen on the trading block because of so many high end D-man on the Gens

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I had been womdering why the OHL pre-season schedule shuts down for 9 days. I now see a list of players that are off to NHL rookie camps which would mean OHL teams wouldn't be able to ice a full line-up.

The Bulldogs are missing a league-leading 12 players.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
And as it stands, Strome, Nurse and Entwistle are expected to return for sure--Gleason is dependent how he impresses the Stars, and Mattinen is unlikely to return, as I expect the Sens to sign him and send him to Belleville in the AHL or Brampton in the ECHL.

Robert Thomas is definitely not going to be back--he's expect to make the Blues.

Bitten, Caamano, Fulcher, Stillman and Studenic cannot return, as they're OAs and signed by NHL clubs-they're all AHL bound.

Saigeon is a coin flip at the moment, dependent how he does at Avalanche rookie camp.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
At the moment Burnell and Mattinen.

If any of Gleason, Saigeon, Fulcher, Bitten, Caamano, Studenic, Stillman happened to be returned, they would also be OAs but it's highly unlikely most will be returned. If anyone is returned, Gleason could be since he a free agent invite by Dallas. Dallas would have to sign him and assign him to Texas. Saigeon's rights are held by Colorado and they would have to sign him before assigning him to the AHL. Both Gleason and Saigeon look to have had very good rookie camps, which certainly helps their chances. Fulcher is signed by Detroit and I believe is the only signed younger goalie. I think it's likely that he will be in the AHL or ECHL but there's always a chance he could be sent back.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Might be safe to say Gleason won't be back. Congrats to Gleason on getting signed as a free agent! Fulcher did this last season.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Our loss is their gain, that is for sure. Sadly that is a pretty big loss on D for the Bulldogs. I'm a little less confident of us making the playoffs this year.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Forgot to mention Mattinen did not get a deal with the Sens--so he will return to the Bulldogs as an OA.

With the loss of Gleason to Texas(AHL), the D for the Bulldogs got thinner. Expect Hamilton to make a signing or a trade for a D-man before the opener.

Reactions: Savard18

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Forgot to mention Mattinen did not get a deal with the Sens--so he will return to the Bulldogs as an OA.

With the loss of Gleason to Texas(AHL), the D for the Bulldogs got thinner. Expect Hamilton to make a signing or a trade for a D-man before the opener.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get a Gens D-man. Allen (OA), Blacker or Rupoli, all probably on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->