Halifax Mooseheads: 2016-2017 Thread

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Exciting.

I wonder how the lines will shake out. Hischier is a natural center, correct? Will one of he or Groulx start as the 3C or play some wing? Are they both good enough to immediately bump Somppi to 3rd line?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I'm a little worried that Russel is talking about trying to get him to report this season, it sounds like they don't have it worked out yet. Still, I do expect we'll see him this year, especially with his countryman Timo Meier putting in the good word for us.

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
I'm a little worried that Russel is talking about trying to get him to report this season, it sounds like they don't have it worked out yet. Still, I do expect we'll see him this year, especially with his countryman Timo Meier putting in the good word for us.

Hischier has an opt-out clause so I think Cam is talking smart so things don't go bad... I just hope Hischier's agent isn't Allan Walsh... he almost ****ed things up for us in 2010 with his tweets about Frk.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Well they didn't draft anyone in the second round as a back up plan so they must be confident Hischier will report.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Hischier has an opt-out clause so I think Cam is talking smart so things don't go bad... I just hope Hischier's agent isn't Allan Walsh... he almost ****ed things up for us in 2010 with his tweets about Frk.

First thing I thought of when I saw his comments was Frk. That whole situation was just dumb.

I'm guessing it's probably 90% or so that he reports this year, Russell probably just doesn't want to jinx it.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I can't see us taking Hischier and no second round Euro if they weren't confident. Russell and co. have been running this ship very strategically the last little while, making all the right moves.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Also might be worth noting that on April 18th he retweeted a post by NCAA hockey on twitter showing favourable statistics for goaltenders playing NCAA as opposed to alternatives when reaching the NHL.

Looks like he is at least a bit set on NCAA (or was recently), but that doesn't necessarily mean he won't want to play for Halifax.

He was teammates with Groulx/McIsaac at the Youth Olympics though, so there are some friends on the team which bodes well.

Gravel seems to have a lot more Q activity on his feed now. Now following the Mooseheads along with a few players and coaches including Resop and some other Q accounts. Hopefully he is coming, we will definitely need the young goalie.

Will be difficult for the team to perform the way they did when Fucale, Mackinnon, Drouin first joined the team, but anything is possible. If they can finish top 10-12 and win a playoff series, I think that would be deemed a pretty successful season. Could contend as early as next year if all these guys pan out and if Fortier comes back for his 20 year old season. Hopefully see good strides with Somppi this year too. Also have a couple more first and 2nd round picks in 2018 from Fucale trade which will help with either bringing in more young guns or trading to make a run. Maybe they can move some of those for 2017 picks and really stack up!

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Gravel seems to have a lot more Q activity on his feed now. Now following the Mooseheads along with a few players and coaches including Resop and some other Q accounts. Hopefully he is coming, we will definitely need the young goalie.

Will be difficult for the team to perform the way they did when Fucale, Mackinnon, Drouin first joined the team, but anything is possible. If they can finish top 10-12 and win a playoff series, I think that would be deemed a pretty successful season. Could contend as early as next year if all these guys pan out and if Fortier comes back for his 20 year old season. Hopefully see good strides with Somppi this year too. Also have a couple more first and 2nd round picks in 2018 from Fucale trade which will help with either bringing in more young guns or trading to make a run. Maybe they can move some of those for 2017 picks and really stack up!

I could definitely see this happening, if Groulx, McIsaac and Hischier look like the real deal this season. Have them as the cornerstones of a championship run, and trade the picks to give them a great supporting cast.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully Gravel reports to the Mooseheads. He's an important piece of their rebuild. Thinking he will unless he doesn't want to come to Halifax but thought the Mooseheads were one of the teams he was interested in. He should know it's highly likely he will be successful with the team they have built plus the future picks they can use to build the roster even more! Also a chance for Halifax to host the Memorial cup in 2018 or 2019 depending on what the CHL does with the 100 year anniversary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am extremely excited for the new season. There will certainly be road bumps, but we are building quite the young core.

Awesome news that Hischier will report to Mooseheads. How could he pass up the opportunity? (From a Swiss website as well... http://www.swisshockeynews.ch/index...-decides-to-play-in-north-america-next-season )

Wonder if we have a chance at hosting the 100 memorial Cup in Halifax in 2018? Team will be contenders and the Metro Center (ScotiaBank Center) has new seats and renovated washrooms too! haha

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Awesome news that Hischier will report to Mooseheads. How could he pass up the opportunity? (From a Swiss website as well... http://www.swisshockeynews.ch/index...-decides-to-play-in-north-america-next-season )

Wonder if we have a chance at hosting the 100 memorial Cup in Halifax in 2018? Team will be contenders and the Metro Center (ScotiaBank Center) has new seats and renovated washrooms too! haha

I don't see why we wouldn't be considered. 2nd highest capacity in the Q with a great fan base a team that should contend that year. The only thing that will hold us back is that it's a national bidding process for the 2018 tournament rather than regional as in past years. Hopefully they give equal considerations to each league.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see why we wouldn't be considered. 2nd highest capacity in the Q with a great fan base a team that should contend that year. The only thing that will hold us back is that it's a national bidding process for the 2018 tournament rather than regional as in past years. Hopefully they give equal considerations to each league.

Totally agree. If they do the national bidding process (I believe this has been confirmed?) and we don't win, I'm assuming we are in the running again for 2019 when they go back to regional or will they keep it a national bidding process?

If we lose out on 2018 but win 2019, we probably only loose Somppi and keep the core again. Fortier may be one of the three 20 year olds? Not drafted this year, will probably have a crazy year this year and may go drafted next year though? Hard to say.

Exciting times in Mooseland! Middle of the pack team this year and makes noise in the playoffs. Top of the league the year after that and contenders for two seasons! Also, Let's see what the GM does with the future 1st round picks in the next year ish! We have still plenty to trade with and should be able to address holes in the lineup after they see team chemistry by Christmas

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Wasn't aware of the national bidding process for the Centennial Memorial Cup. Be great to get it in Halifax, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it in Ontario two years in a row. Especially where the Memorial Cup was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association and Ontario is "the center of the universe/Canada".

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
I fear for are odds of landing it if it comes down to a numbers game of voting . He just don't have the man power to muscle out some of the bigger Regions . But If some of these kids blossom into stars and the moose are Front running Contenders who's to say what could happen !

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Sounds like it should be a fun season. If we could ever pull off a mem cup bid along with all of this talent, it would certainly help in drawing a guy like Jake Wise for next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally, I think there is a strong chance we get it in 2019 if we don't get 2018. Memorial cup in Ontario in 2018 for the 100 season makes sense but a 10,000 seat renovated area in Halifax with the core we just put together adds up to a good bid to me.

Adding Jake Wise would be just insane! I understand why they used a late round pick on him. Unlikely he reports, but it's worth the risk.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I would think the 100th Memorial Cup will probably go to team with a longer history of junior hockey than Halifax, and that's fair. Still, there's no doubt that Halifax hosting would be a big money maker, so it's going to come here soon I would imagine.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Has anyone seen Raphael Lavoie play? I was talking to a young guy at the draft who played with him......he stated Raphael was a very talented hard worker and that the Moose got a first rounder in the second round? He was obviously a supporter of this kid so I'm wondering if anyone has a more objective view? Thanks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Has anyone seen Raphael Lavoie play? I was talking to a young guy at the draft who played with him......he stated Raphael was a very talented hard worker and that the Moose got a first rounder in the second round? He was obviously a supporter of this kid so I'm wondering if anyone has a more objective view? Thanks.

So we may have 5 new kids in the line-up this year from this past draft? 5 impact players too!

Groulx
McIsaac
Hischier
Gravel
Lavoie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad