Halifax Mooseheads: 2016-2017 Thread

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
From reading Russell interviews it sounds like they still have some work to do in convincing Gravel to report. Also Gravel did not make any comments about being picked by Halifax on his quite active twitter feed which may seem like nothing, but says he is still likely undecided. Would be troubling for their goalie situation if he doesn't report.

Also might be worth noting that on April 18th he retweeted a post by NCAA hockey on twitter showing favourable statistics for goaltenders playing NCAA as opposed to alternatives when reaching the NHL.

Looks like he is at least a bit set on NCAA (or was recently), but that doesn't necessarily mean he won't want to play for Halifax.

He was teammates with Groulx/McIsaac at the Youth Olympics though, so there are some friends on the team which bodes well.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Hopefully Gravel reports. Russel & co. have been known to work their magic the last few years. I think they can pull it off.

60/40 Moose or a little better Gravel reports, but if Cam & co. can convince Wise.....that would change everything moving forward. He has Jack Eichel (who the Moose also took a flyer on) like potential! 20/80 maybe but you never know.

Getting both would move the Moose to a top Q team by next Jan.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
60/40 Moose or a little better Gravel reports, but if Cam & co. can convince Wise.....that would change everything moving forward. He has Jack Eichel (who the Moose also took a flyer on) like potential! 20/80 maybe but you never know.

You think a 16 year old goaltender and a 16 year old winger would make or break the Mooseheads season? If a 16 is your starter, you arent a top team.. and as good as Wise may be, to expect anything over 0.75-1 PPG from even a high profile forward is absolutely ludicrus. Moose will sit from 10th-15th no matter who shows up

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You think a 16 year old goaltender and a 16 year old winger would make or break the Mooseheads season? If a 16 is your starter, you arent a top team.. and as good as Wise may be, to expect anything over 0.75-1 PPG from even a high profile forward is absolutely ludicrus. Moose will sit from 10th-15th no matter who shows up

MacKinnon put up 78 points in 58 games in his first year and Wise is arguably better than MacKinnon was at that age.

Morand put up over a ppg this year, Sprong did it a couple years ago, and Duclair did it the same year as MacKinnon. Wise is better than all of those players so it's not ludicrous to expect that he'd be over a ppg as a 16 year old.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
MacKinnon put up 78 points in 58 games in his first year and Wise is arguably better than MacKinnon was at that age.

Morand put up over a ppg this year, Sprong did it a couple years ago, and Duclair did it the same year as MacKinnon. Wise is better than all of those players so it's not ludicrous to expect that he'd be over a ppg as a 16 year old.
1. No, Wise is not arguably better than Mack at that age.
2. I never said it wasn't possible I said it is crazy to expect that sort of production out of a 16 year old. Nobody expected Morand to do it, same for Sprong
3. Duclair and Mackinnon both played in the show as teenagers, which believe it or not is a ridiculous feat, and expecting a kid whos barely 16 to do the same is simply unrealistic as its way too early

You cant put those expectatioms on a 16 year old, no matter their pedigree. Coaches know it, GMs know it, scouts do, the majority of sensible fans as well. Am i saying Wise cant do it? Absolutely not, I think he can, its just downright silly to expect it shall he report though.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

You should read my post again. My point is these two 16 yo along with the #1 Groulx & #2 McIsaac pick would have a substantial impact on this team....they already have a very good young D in Chainey/ Sommpi at C plus the #6 import this year. And yes, Wise is being compared to Eichel not Mac.
Have you seen Groulx play?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
1. No, Wise is not arguably better than Mack at that age.
2. I never said it wasn't possible I said it is crazy to expect that sort of production out of a 16 year old. Nobody expected Morand to do it, same for Sprong
3. Duclair and Mackinnon both played in the show as teenagers, which believe it or not is a ridiculous feat, and expecting a kid whos barely 16 to do the same is simply unrealistic as its way too early

You cant put those expectatioms on a 16 year old, no matter their pedigree. Coaches know it, GMs know it, scouts do, the majority of sensible fans as well. Am i saying Wise cant do it? Absolutely not, I think he can, its just downright silly to expect it shall he report though.

Ehh, Wise just might be better than MacKinnon was, certainly in that category, the kid has been seen as being as good or better than Eichel at the same age for some time now.

As for Morand and Sprong, lot's of people knew it was a possibility, both were seen as offensive dynamos in Midget and Morand was taken #2 overall while Sprong fell a bit due to his Espoir BS and not having citizenship.

I agree with you the team is still at least a complete year away from being competitive even if everyone reports and those 2 alone would not make or break the season, but Wise would likely put up over ppg, he's the real deal

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
Ehh, Wise just might be better than MacKinnon was, certainly in that category, the kid has been seen as being as good or better than Eichel at the same age for some time now.

As for Morand and Sprong, lot's of people knew it was a possibility, both were seen as offensive dynamos in Midget and Morand was taken #2 overall while Sprong fell a bit due to his Espoir BS and not having citizenship.

I agree with you the team is still at least a complete year away from being competitive even if everyone reports and those 2 alone would not make or break the season, but Wise would likely put up over ppg, he's the real deal

Mackinnon was the best player in the world for his age and was known as that for a long time.. while Wise is in the running for that, he isn't the unanimous best, not denying his talent tho.
Sprong played espoir his midget year and as a fan of the Islanders i can confirm I was not expecting over PPG, and I doubt Dwyer/Sonier were either. Can't say the same for Morand as didn't know much about him, but it was assumed Veleno was better, who did not put up a PPG.
I'm not denying that theres a chance he could be, just saying its not a sure thing,
Anyways this is about the Mooseheads and i do agree whether Wise shows up or not their nucleus of talent is incredible

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS

I'd say much less than 20% chance Wise reports this year. Slightly better chance in getting him for his draft year next year as he'd get a lot more exposure and competition in Q on a team with two other potentially high first round 2018 picks than a 2nd year on USNDP. Has only committed to BU for fall of 2018 so there's a good chance he doesn't even make it there if he develops well in next 2 years. He would have nothing to lose and plenty to gain in playing for Halifax 2017-2018.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I'd say much less than 20% chance Wise reports this year. Slightly better chance in getting him for his draft year next year as he'd get a lot more exposure and competition in Q on a team with two other potentially high first round 2018 picks than a 2nd year on USNDP. Has only committed to BU for fall of 2018 so there's a good chance he doesn't even make it there if he develops well in next 2 years. He would have nothing to lose and plenty to gain in playing for Halifax 2017-2018.

Good post. I was speaking with a couple of scouts in Charlottown at the draft......they said Wise is an exceptional talent who possese game changing ability.

Unfortunately I do not believe Wise is coming to Moose country, this year or next. However the club had a great draft and if they can get a quality player at the import draft(#6) we will be ok moving forward.

Lee

Mar 17, 2016
Good post. I was speaking with a couple of scouts in Charlottown at the draft......they said Wise is an exceptional talent who possese game changing ability.

Unfortunately I do not believe Wise is coming to Moose country, this year or next. However the club had a great draft and if they can get a quality player at the import draft(#6) we will be ok moving forward.

Without Wise reporting it would still be a great draft, but if they could get wise to report this would be an incredible draft, getting 3 of the best players available is unbelievable

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So, there's recruiting to be done for Wise and Gravel.

They aren't going to bring over that forward they drafted in the Import the other year, right?

Rumor is we are trying to get Hischier?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
So, there's recruiting to be done for Wise and Gravel.

They aren't going to bring over that forward they drafted in the Import the other year, right?

Rumor is we are trying to get Hischier?

Gravel is a pretty safe bet to report. Apparently he's told reporters (Benoit Plamadon on twitter) he would report to only Halifax or Blainville.

Almost no chance on Wise. Kid is in the US national development program, which has been money for producing top-end NHL prospects.

Hischier appears to be plan A. He could go in the top 5 though.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
From what I've read about Hischier it sounds like he'd be a great addition. But whoever we get, I've got faith that they'll make an impact. I can't even remember offhand the last import player we had who didn't turn out to be great with us. Probably have to go back to the pre-Smith/Russell days.

Wise would be nice, but I'm not expecting anything. Glad we drafted him though. If he does change his mind at some point, it's a massive coup. If not, it was only a 7th round pick, so no big loss.

Really looking forward to our future D headlined by MacIsaac and Chainey. And if I'm not mistaken, Tourigny was Colorado's defensive coach during his time there. As much fun as it was to watch the team during the freewheeling offense days, I'll be very happy to watch a team that also knows how to play defense.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
From what I've read about Hischier it sounds like he'd be a great addition. But whoever we get, I've got faith that they'll make an impact. I can't even remember offhand the last import player we had who didn't turn out to be great with us. Probably have to go back to the pre-Smith/Russell days.

Wise would be nice, but I'm not expecting anything. Glad we drafted him though. If he does change his mind at some point, it's a massive coup. If not, it was only a 7th round pick, so no big loss.

Really looking forward to our future D headlined by MacIsaac and Chainey. And if I'm not mistaken, Tourigny was Colorado's defensive coach during his time there. As much fun as it was to watch the team during the freewheeling offense days, I'll be very happy to watch a team that also knows how to play defense.

Jan Steber maybe? For last poor Euro?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Do we have a a date for the Euro draft? The CHL website is awful for navigating, or it is just me. I can't find anything.

Definitely not just you, finding information on the import draft seems needlessly difficult.

Although, just as I wrote that I decided to check the CHL website one more time. They've finally decided to let us know when it's happening:

http://chl.ca/importdraft
The 2016 CHL Import Draft will be held at 11am eastern on Tuesday, June 28th. More information on the 2016 CHL Import Draft will be available soon.

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
4 hours out from the draft ! where there ever any rumors ? I know lots of people HOPED for Nico Hischier but I don't remember ever reading any official rumors ...

Updated : Now its Official ! Nico Hischier picked 6th overall by the Mooseheads .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad