Proposal: Hagelin to the Leafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Boyle was not the reason leafs made the playoffs. Tampa/Isles sucking that season due to injuries to their superstars was the reason Leafs made the playoffs.

In 21 games with the Leafs he put up 3 points

We barely got in, maybe without him we drop 2 pts or more.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Out of curiosity, what makes this Speculation rather than just an idea to be debated in the Free Agent and Trade thread? Am I missing the point of Speculation threads? I see that word and I think this is something the Leafs have been speculated to consider.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
No thanks, why should we help the conference rivals for the peanuts and cap dump? Rather let them be more miserable with the way they are. This juicy 2nd is absolutely garbage at this point when you consider the fact that with the much needed cap a team like Pitsburgh can come bite you in the post season.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Yotes do not want that contract as it is uninsured and we are paying his salary every year. It does not save them money at all. We are stuck with this contract unless we attach a high draft pick to it and hope a team like the Rangers take it.

That's what I meant... the Yotes seem to want to be taking on salary to stay above the floor. I wouldn't do a 1st but if it meant clearing up that cap room for the kids coming up I'd attach a 2nd and a prospect or two. Preferably a 3rd and a 4th plus prospect but I suspect that might not be enough.

Hell whatever team would be interested in him for that purpose can step on up and make and deal imho.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
His speed is an asset but speed alone isn't enough. He had lotsa chances to make that speed pay off last season but didn't capitalize.
Speedy line-mates could help and more experience as well. I geuss the question is ...can he improve or does Hagelins experience make a better fit?

Hagelin and his 6% shooting percentage isn't exactly a better fit than Kapanen. Kapanen is fine, he just needs better linemates than what he was given last year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'd respectfully disagree.

Johnsson and Kapanen are good prospects, but neither has shown they are actually better than Hagelin yet.
He is a pretty solid PK guy who can flat out fly.
There is a chance we can add at the TDL to get something, but I'd rather take the asset now and use it for something going into the season.

I.e. Leivo +4th for Hagelin +2nd.
Use the second + picks/prospects to get a RHD.

I'm not saying your wrong, but weaponizong the cap is an advantage of being a rich team.

Hagelin had a 6% shooting percentage last year. Both Johnsson and Kapanel are as decent defensively well above him in their ability to put the puck in the net.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Calling him just a speedy player I'd a disservice. He is a 200ft player who forchecks well.
He's biggest issue is he doesn't shoot well, and he probably could be more selfish instead of trying to force passes on 2 on 1s.

I still think him and Kapannen on a 4th line would be a great counter punch line. They won't play a ton at even strength, but will get a decent amount of time on the PK.
for sure he has potential/still learning the league,but if he wants to be more than a 4th line player(which i think he is) then he has to finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad