Player Discussion Had Pettersson Regressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Give it more time..He's an intelligent player...I'm sure that he knows that his current play isn't close to 'elite'...As the games go on, and they get up to speed.. Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes are all going to elevate their games.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Ripping heart and soul guys off of the club..... is the fastest way to lose the room.....
If that's really the reason for his poor play, he needs to take a long look in the mirror. Letting something like that effect your game, to the point where everyone is asking what is "wrong" with you, is patently unprofessional. It's especially worrisome from a younger player who hasn't earned their stripes yet. I hope it isn't the reason, as that's not an attitude I want from my best player.

All that said, this is all wild speculation and mostly a product of frustrated fans conflating their feelings with Pettersson's play. In reality, Pettersson hasn't played much competitive hockey this last year and is continuing to get back on track. He's not a Sidney Crosby-level talent (mind you, there's only a handful in history who are) who can sit in the pressbox with a broken neck for two years and score 4 goals his first game back. Best to wait and see how he does, before assuming he's planning a mutiny. There is also the chance that Pettersson isn't going to be as good as we thought he was or, maybe, he has a MacKinnon-like resurgence.... only time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diversification

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That Lotto Line was basically dominated last night by a team that by the looks of thing, is headed straight to lottery land. Pettersson was so bad in the faceoff circle, they had to have Miller take all the draws.

He's definitely 'off' so far this season. I have no idea if it was missing half of training camp or if being one of the highest paid guys on the team is wearing on him.

But it's still a fair debate to ask the question whether or not Pettersson is a legitimate franchise center. In his first couple of seasons, the answer was a definite 'yes'. But then the injuries started to bite. As I recall he got off to a slow start last year before coming around, and then going down with a season-end injury.

He's not the robust physical specimen, and unfortunately he's not going to suddenly start getting bigger at 22 (he turns 23 in a couple of weeks). And as the Canucks top center, he's getting all of the hard matchups. It may well be that like the Sedins before him, he'll be an elite franchise forward once his gets beyond 26. But that's only a guess and a hope.

So this is a legitimate question. Is a fully healthy Jack Eichel better than Elias Pettersson? While I agree that trade would never happen, and was a bit of tongue in cheek, I think the answer is that Eichel would be better bet for the Canucks moving forward.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It’s looking like the decision to bridge him at 7.35 for 3 was wise. Imagine we had locked him at at 9.25 x 8 and this was the performance he trotted out?

Still have faith that Petey puts it together this season, but he still very much has things to “prove” if he wants his big pay day imo.

100%. He's a bit of a prima donna tbh.

Which is ok so long as he performs. Bure was a prima donna as well

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
With how little hockey he's played over the last year or so I'm perfectly fine giving him at least 20 games before I start getting critical.

Reactions: timw33

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he has the talent, he has the drive, he needs direction from an involved coaching staff, otherwise, he can fall into patterns that other teams can exploit. one great thing about cerebral players, which I definitely lump him into, is that he has the repertoire of plays in his head if he is motivated to tap into it. looking at his progression, he is not the type that coaches himself though, because its been a while that we see him doing the same things. young players fall into that routine because it requires constant self evaluation, and he is indeed incredibly young still. I more and more think that the players need a fresh voice. Its just good for these high end creative players to absorb more input from different students of the game.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That Lotto Line was basically dominated last night by a team that by the looks of thing, is headed straight to lottery land. Pettersson was so bad in the faceoff circle, they had to have Miller take all the draws.

He's definitely 'off' so far this season. I have no idea if it was missing half of training camp or if being one of the highest paid guys on the team is wearing on him.

But it's still a fair debate to ask the question whether or not Pettersson is a legitimate franchise center. In his first couple of seasons, the answer was a definite 'yes'. But then the injuries started to bite. As I recall he got off to a slow start last year before coming around, and then going down with a season-end injury.

He's not the robust physical specimen, and unfortunately he's not going to suddenly start getting bigger at 22 (he turns 23 in a couple of weeks). And as the Canucks top center, he's getting all of the hard matchups. It may well be that like the Sedins before him, he'll be an elite franchise forward once his gets beyond 26. But that's only a guess and a hope.

So this is a legitimate question. Is a fully healthy Jack Eichel better than Elias Pettersson? While I agree that trade would never happen, and was a bit of tongue in cheek, I think the answer is that Eichel would be better bet for the Canucks moving forward.
Its a lot more than missing training camp..He missed the majority of last season as well (stopped playing on March 4th)..That was a long layoff from playing competitively.

Reactions: Diversification

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
he has the talent, he has the drive, he needs direction from an involved coaching staff, otherwise, he can fall into patterns that other teams can exploit. one great thing about cerebral players, which I definitely lump him into, is that he has the repertoire of plays in his head if he is motivated to tap into it. looking at his progression, he is not the type that coaches himself though, because its been a while that we see him doing the same things. young players fall into that routine because it requires constant self evaluation, and he is indeed incredibly young still. I more and more think that the players need a fresh voice. Its just good for these high end creative players to absorb more input from different students of the game.

The Canucks did bring in Shaw to be a fresh voice.

If there is a coaching change, maybe pursue Rikard Gronborg?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Given that he's had a long layoff due to injury, then missed all of camp and that the entire team hasn't had many solid practices due to starting on a six-game roadie; I'm not worried. If he looked like he was skating in cement, or his stickhandling and/or shot looked weak I'd be way more concerned. As it stands I think we'll start to see him find his grove during our homestand.

dman34

May 6, 2011
I still remember watching Pettersson in his rookie season and getting totally blown away on a nightly basis. The creativity, stick-handling, ridiculous dekes in close, the hockey IQ. It was artistry on ice. I couldn't believe the Canucks had gotten so lucky to have this guy fall to them in the draft.

I'm not sure what's happened since then, but his game has definitely fallen off and I'm certainly not saying "wow" anywhere near as much as I used to. It's almost like his confidence has taken a massive hit or something. There's hardly any flash anymore and I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with Green.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I still remember watching Pettersson in his rookie season and getting totally blown away on a nightly basis. The creativity, stick-handling, ridiculous dekes in close, the hockey IQ. It was artistry on ice. I couldn't believe the Canucks had gotten so lucky to have this guy fall to them in the draft.

I'm not sure what's happened since then, but his game has definitely fallen off and I'm certainly not saying "wow" anywhere near as much as I used to. It's almost like his confidence has taken a massive hit or something. There's hardly any flash anymore and I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with Green.

Could be missing 7 months of hockey too.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Maybe Green has sucked all of the creativity out of Pettersson's game, in order to turn him into a grinding 200ft player?

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010

I’d take healthy eichel in a second

on a good team he’s easily a top 5 player in the nhl. Pettersson is not even close to that.

Reactions: Fraser28

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

on a good team he’s easily a top 5 player in the nhl. Pettersson is not even close to that.
I would take an unicorn as a pet, but like a 100% healthy Eichel such a beast does not exist. Why not talk about a healthy prime Pat Lafontaine in a trade instead? Petterson is healthy and playing Eichel is hurt and sitting with no guarantee he is healthy again. Who trades for a 10 million dollar a year paper weight? Maybe for the OEL haul minus Garland and the 1st? In other words Eichel is now worth cap dumps unless you know he is coming back at same level and no one knows that.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

You're not wrong on their abilities. Where you lose the trade is the current value of each. Buffalo is in a rough spot with Eichel.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Give him time. With his injury last season it's been closer to 8 months since he was playing hockey competitively in the NHL. Rust doesn't just come off in 5 games.

Reactions: CherryToke

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Even if a lot of it has to do with injuries and other factors beyond his control, the fact that Petey's best season was arguably his rookie one, now 3 years in the past, is starting to get a bit worrying.

In a way it's kind of like the Juolevi situation but on a higher plane. Petey is struggling to just get back to the type of play that he entered the league with.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This guy literally plays like a Sedin Sister. He's more European than Mats Sundin and Henrik Sedin combined.

We'll never see a Stanley Cup parade with this softie

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would trade him for O'Reilly, Kopitar, Couture.

This kid makes Henrik Sedin look like a digrace. Jesus Christ, thank god it's only 3 years. f***ing bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad