Player Discussion Had Pettersson Regressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Pettersson is just having the same issues that all those young guns in Edmonton did with having too much pressure put on them too soon.
Remember how posters here used to laugh at the Coilers for pushing their prospects too soon.

AND now it is a surprise that Pettersson and Hughes struggle?
Or the team isn't winning all the games?

Pettersson himself put the club on notice of his expectations, hence the short contract.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Player with elite skills no doubt. He just isn't physically strong enough or, in some cases, experienced enough to assert these skills consistently ATM. I see him long term as an excellent player but he will need to add strength and better learn how to use other players.

One thing he is doing now is trying to force plays and, too often, beat players one on one. Needs to pick his spots and wait for opportunities to arise and be quicker in moving the puck. See him evolving into someone like a higher level Nicklas Backstrom as he gains weigh and maturity.

Have to remember how bad the Sedins looked in their early years before they got strong enough to be physically able to establish their game.

Reactions: Grantham

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His zone entries have gone to shyt

After that slow start he was point per game to close out the remainder

he looks bad so far, but he should turn it around like he did then.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Petey needs to get in the boards use his skills in tight and score some ugly goals. His one-timer hasn't evolved at all since his rookie year. He's either trying to do too much by skating and deking in to traffic, or he's too far behind the play in the boards to win puck battles.
Stop waiting for powerplays and create something 5on5.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
I wouldn't really call it regression, but it certainly seems like the league has figured him out a bit.

It definitely doesn't help that he missed most of training camp and didn't get as much time to test out his wrist either.

Reactions: Szechwan

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
My main issue with Petey right now is his predictability. When our PP was at it's best a couple years ago he was moving his feet a ton, ducking in and out of traffic, swapping with the downlow man and carrying the puck more.

Right now, he pretty much just floats in a 5x5ft area waiting for a one-timer. The one time he diverged from that gameplan in the pre-season, he faked the slapper and sent a great shot-pass to Petan for the redirect goal. I'm not seeing that creativity right now.

Reactions: wonton15

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although it's only a limited sample size, the thing I notice is that he overhandles the puck a lot of times. Teams know he's going to try and stickhandle in over the blueline and close down his space.

There are times when a crafty experienced center will use the 'give and go' play with his wingers......passing off and hitting the holes for a return pass.

You have to remember that when Pettersson had all his success in the SHL, he was playing as a winger. It was the Canucks who wanted to make a center out of him. So in that position, he's still relatively inexperienced. And at times it still shows.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think so,..he's getting his footing back..He's a lot stronger than he was a couple of years ago..However, its frustrating watching him constantly trying to stickhandle through 3 players at the opposition blue line...and turn it over.

He missed most of training camp, and he's still catching up...imo.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The kid obviously needs a real nhl coach

And this is obviously why he didn’t want to tie himself to the org for the long haul.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His zone entries have gone to shyt

After that slow start he was point per game to close out the remainder

he looks bad so far, but he should turn it around like he did then.

His high end skill is obviously there. You see him trying to deke guys but he's been trying to force things. He's also not in sync with his linemates so he charges in but without any passing options except for the drop pass.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
what a bunch of hogwash blaming them wanting to make him a C. He's clearly a 1C

He's forcing things instead of protecting the puck. And he couldn't run around like he did in his rookie year or he would get injured. He had a wrist injury that will take a little time to get back to 100% and his timing with his wingers is off as well as his with the lost games. Petey will be fine the kids a top player in the league and will prove it by years end. He just needs to play and stop turning over the puck trying to make low percentage plays. If were having this discussion in the new year then we got bigger problems

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I think he's got some maturing to do mentally. Right now he is playing like he thinks he is on a completely other level then his opposition. He's gonna eventually get served some humble pie and play more opportunistically. Right now he is trying to create grade-A scoring chances out of thin air without really using his teammates, so he is mostly trying low percentage-high reward plays over and over. He's going to eventually realize he is beating a dead horse here. He's got to dial it back and rely less on his physical tools and give the opposition more credit. Use your teammates and your hockey sense to play chess and not checkers, Petey!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree with this. Petey is getting by because he is so talented. Which is fine and he will be fine. He says he wants to win but the great ones put their teams on their back.

I don't even mean this as a criticism of Petey. Not everyone can be a Sidney Crosby or McDavid who also benefited from having Lemieux and Gretzky, respectively, in the organization to guide them. He's still young. MacKinnon blossomed into an elite player in his 5th year in the league and we've all recently read about the commitment he made to get him there (although he did have Sakic and Crosby to lean on). Lemieux learned to be a leader after playing with Gretzky at the Canada Cup as the story went. The organization does have the Sedins and if you aren't motivated by a passionate Miller when he led the team in scoring or the younger Hoglander who never stops moving his legs then I don't think the issue is a lack of direction and guidance. Certainly, stars these days can approach people to get their advice.

Petey wants to be an elite player. That doesn't just involve working on his conditioning so that he can obliterate everyone in the bag skate. It's things like McDavid adding one timers. It's the grueling workouts that Crosby and MacKinnon do to give them the edge. Petey doesn't like to talk about his weight but that comes naturally if you're working out and getting stronger like Crosby and MacKinnon.

Absolutely.

The guys who are superstars in this league go out there with the intent of being difference-makers. They want the puck. They want to force the play. They take charge and have huge motors. Connor McDavid is the most skilled player in hockey, but he's also absolutely working his bag off out there every single game. Elias Pettersson right now is not.

Pettersson came into the league playing like this, which is why he was so exciting when he first arrived here. But he has - for the most part - not played like this in a long time.

Reactions: Grantham

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yes he has regressed. In his rookie year and parts of his sophmore year he was automatic. Now hes wiffing on half of his one timers. Like he doesnt even connect stick to puck.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Yes he has regressed. In his rookie year and parts of his sophmore year he was automatic. Now hes wiffing on half of his one timers. Like he doesnt even connect stick to puck.

People around the league did not know him back then. Once a player gets some reputation he is scouted by everyone. He will recover but i'm still worried by his lack of strength. This is his 4th season and he still looks like a bean pole.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pettersson is just having the same issues that all those young guns in Edmonton did with having too much pressure put on them too soon.
Remember how posters here used to laugh at the Coilers for pushing their prospects too soon.

It's never going to be quite the same situation but the Canucks really are teetering towards a Hall-RNH-Eberle-Schutlz type scenario.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
With higher expectations of himself comes higher pressure and it's causing him to grip the stick too tight and make uncharacteristic errors instead of just playing naturally. Maybe he needs some kind of sports psychologist to help him through that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
what a bunch of hogwash blaming them wanting to make him a C. He's clearly a 1C

He's forcing things instead of protecting the puck. And he couldn't run around like he did in his rookie year or he would get injured. He had a wrist injury that will take a little time to get back to 100% and his timing with his wingers is off as well as his with the lost games. Petey will be fine the kids a top player in the league and will prove it by years end. He just needs to play and stop turning over the puck trying to make low percentage plays. If were having this discussion in the new year then we got bigger problems
I disagree.....I still think Petey's skills at center are 'a work in progress'. He's diligent on the backcheck, but is no better than slightly below average in the faceoff dot. In fact Green will often sub out the top line for defensive zone draws if the team is struggling.

And a lot of the success of the Lotto Line, wasn't necessarily driven by Pettersson. It was J.T. Miller who carried the puck into the zone first to set up plays down low. Pettersson and Boeser were the shooters.

I'm not saying that Petttersson won't succeed as a true, impact No. 1 center. But there are things that he stills needs to work on, on both sides of the puck. And hitting the net with his shot, is the obvious place to start.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I disagree.....I still think Petey's skills at center are 'a work in progress'. He's diligent on the backcheck, but is no better than slightly below average in the faceoff dot. In fact Green will often sub out the top line for defensive zone draws if the team is struggling.

And a lot of the success of the Lotto Line, wasn't necessarily driven by Pettersson. It was J.T. Miller who carried the puck into the zone first to set up plays down low. Pettersson and Boeser were the shooters.

I'm not saying that Petttersson won't succeed as a true, impact No. 1 center. But there are things that he stills needs to work on, on both sides of the puck. And hitting the net with his shot, is the obvious place to start.
You don't think he's a 1C? or were you disagreeing with something else?
McDavid is 44% career faceoff percent and you don't waste your best offensive players energy trying to get pucks out of your own zone when you can start them offensively.

Sure he's in a bit of a funk and needs to figure some things out but he absolutely is a top centre in the NHL

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Friendly reminder Henrik Sedin, impact 1C, was a career 48.8% face off guy and had a greater than 50% face off season in 5 of his 17 seasons.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Faceoffs are mostly irrelevant.

This player needs to move his feet and go out there wanting to make a difference. We've seen him be capable of it in the past.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
He just needs to get his swagger back.

Reminds me of Miller in the same sense.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Probably doesn't help having Old Man Miller acting like someone pissed in his cornflakes 24/7.

Or a defense that can't play defense.

Or a coach with no structure.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I do wonder of he's afraid of getting hurt out there. I hope the crackdown on cross checks helps him out there, and that the NHL actually sticks to the crackdown. That Vegas series was brutal to watch, and I don't think it's a coincidence we haven't seen that same Pettersson again. He doesn't strike me as particularly hardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad