Speculation: Habs were big on Fowler in 2016, do they inquire in 2019?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This was not an offer per se, I simply threw a base offer out there of some names and picks and asked if it would be enough and go from there.

Also, I get you want the most for your player, but how many times have teams gotten in real life trades what HF perceived as good value?

Remember the Kane or Skinner trades? 95% of HF boards thought these trades were crap, yet they still happened.

What HF perceives as a "horrible trade" is a moot point.

If you were to counter with what I believe is a lobsided trade I would simply say that I can't do that and doit the Habs do it as well and that's that.

I wouldn't comment that you are on crack and you should stop following hockey and start following ping pong.

Anyways, I believe an NHL ready player, one or two prospects and a couple picks is good return.
It may be scrap to the Ducks, but it may also be good enough and they pull the trigger if indeed they want to really shake things up and change the culture in the team.
:laugh: Well that base offer is nowhere close then, What i offered is more a realistic offer for Cam Fowler then your's. Like i said Detroit wouldn't do it. But it's closer to what Bob Murray would want then your offer that's for sure.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm not really up to date on the ducks prospects, so maybe C isn't a need, but I'd imagine this deal has a base of at least Suzuki or poehling and the canadiens first.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Got news for you, Your offer is nowhere near enough for Cam Fowler. Need to update it big time. Because pretty much every team in the league will easily beat your offer.
Hell, the Jackets might take a stab at outbidding that and we don't even have a particular need for the guy. That's low enough that "flip him for what you really want" might actually pay dividends.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hey Shakespeare... Weber will give Fowler a call... obstacle cleared!

Keep on dreaming. Or is that draeamng, "Shakespeare"?

Not going to happen.

If Montreal is such a great destination, surely Bergevin would have signed at least one UFA last summer. Who is the last UFA to sign with Montreal? Oh that's right, Alzner. :laugh:

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
IF he were available teams like Toronto, Detroit, Boston, NYI could all make better offers than Montreal

This. Habs don't have the ammo nor the inclination to pay the kind of talent it would take to land Fowler.

I agree with the one of the above posters who posited that the Habs should simply stay the course.

Thread would have been more appropriately begun by a fan of a team that can actually afford and is willing to pay for a Fowler.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know right. Talking about a low-ball offer.
Scenario that comes to mind:
Let's say that your supposition of what Holland would expect to pay is accurate - Mantha, Hronek, 2nd. Then let's say that Murray is seriously considering that Montreal offer but has had no contact with the Wings and Kekalainen finds out. I imagine we'd immediately step in with something like Wennberg, Kukan, and a 3rd. That does more for Anaheim's forward situation, so it gets accepted (because, again, in our scenario, Murray has gone nuts and is willing to consider that Montreal deal). Then the Jackets turn around, call Holland, and say "hey, y'know how Murray was going to ask for Mantha, Hronek, and a 2nd? We'll settle for Mantha and the 2nd. Keep Hronek, and let him have a long and productive career as a Red Wing alongside your new hometown returnee." And just like that, profit.

...and frankly, I don't think Anaheim would be well off going for any of the offers suggested so far in this thread. :D

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
I'm not really up to date on the ducks prospects, so maybe C isn't a need, but I'd imagine this deal has a base of at least Suzuki or poehling and the canadiens first.
Suzuki, Brook a 1st for Fowler and a 2nd. I'd do it. It's a lot to give up, but Fowler basically stabilizes your 1st D pairing for the next 5 years.

Reactions: Starat327

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Were looking for center to replace getz/kesler. If we moved fowler I think wed hope for
Suzuki/Poehling
+ Canadians 1st
brook

Would spark my interest . Would prob need a young dmen as part of the trade too(oh just saw trade above me)

Reactions: Starat327

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
It was quite common knowledge that the Habs were interested in Fowler back in 2016.

With Anaheim being where they are and the rumours that almost everyone is on the market and the Habs in dire need of a top 4 LD to play with Weber, does Bergevin try again this time around to acquire the left handed D Fowler?

Bergy also did say that he won't go for a rental ad Fowler at 27 with another multiple years to go in his contract is definitely not a rental.

What would it take? I assume a 1st rounder, but Bergevin said he won't trade his 1st.

Would a package of Juulsen + Ikonen/Ylonen + 2nd + 3rd round picks do it?

What do the fan bases think?

Bergevin said if he thinks a trade is right for the team than he wont hesitate and I wouldnt be suprised if anaheim is trying to get their first now instead of before the dead line. Closer to the deadline montreal wont bite if they arent solidified and anahiem wont bite if they are solidified unless another prospect is involved and montreal feels they have a good player in the 2nd round.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Everyone quoting 4 team no trade list is funny because we've had this discussion on our board and our beat writer confirmed that it's a 4 team NO TRADE as in, he submits a list of 4 teams he cannot accept a trade to. Capgeek is apparently not correct.

It is NOT only a 4 team trade list.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
IF he were available teams like Toronto, Detroit, Boston, NYI could all make better offers than Montreal
Who could the Leafs give up that would be better than what the Habs would?
How could the Leafs beat the offer of Suzuki, Brook a 1st?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Were looking for center to replace getz/kesler. If we moved fowler I think wed hope for
Suzuki/Poehling
+ Canadians 1st
brook

Would spark my interest . Would prob need a young dmen as part of the trade too(oh just saw trade above me)

Habs won't give uo a futur 1st liner, a futur top3 D and a 1st for a D-man thats not fitting their Core

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Thats fine ana isnt givin up a top dmen on solid contract for a 2nd and 2 common prospects

Juulsen is easily a top4D prospect.

Fowler is a good d-man, but If I were to tarde Suzuki, Brook and a 1st, i'm asking for a Subban or Ekholm type of D, not Fowler

Reactions: Runner77

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Honestly, I don't see the Habs having the assets to land Cam Fowler.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Juulsen is easily a top4D prospect.

Fowler is a good d-man, but If I were to tarde Suzuki, Brook and a 1st, i'm asking for a Subban or Ekholm type of D, not Fowler
Subban and ekholm prob start with koktaniemi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Who could the Leafs give up that would be better than what the Habs would?
How could the Leafs beat the offer of Suzuki, Brook a 1st?

The Leafs have WAY more prospect depth than Montreal.

Both Sandin and Liljergen would be your #2 prospect plus Toronto has better young roster depth you can't match Kapanen or Johnsson then you had the Leafs 1st, they have the better assets to give.

That said I doubt Fowler is available

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Everyone quoting 4 team no trade list is funny because we've had this discussion on our board and our beat writer confirmed that it's a 4 team NO TRADE as in, he submits a list of 4 teams he cannot accept a trade to. Capgeek is apparently not correct.

It is NOT only a 4 team trade list.

Do you have a link? That obviously makes a big difference. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Leafs have WAY more prospect depth than Montreal.

Both Sandin and Liljergen would be your #2 prospect plus Toronto has better young roster depth you can't match Kapanen or Johnsson then you had the Leafs 1st, they have the better assets to give.

That said I doubt Fowler is available
Toronto not moving Sandin. Said last night on Headlines

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto not moving Sandin. Said last night on Headlines

Fantastic but that's got nothing to do with my point which was IF Fowler is available, and I don't think he is,then Montreal can't beat an offer made by Toronto, Boston, Detroit, NYI Etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad