Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs. Sharks (Tomorrow @ 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Honestly, this is what I would do because it maximizes the strength of all the players we have.

-------------Net-------------
----------Dvorak---------
Caufield-------------------Drouin
---------Niku-----Hoffman----

----------Armia----Toffoli-----
Caufield-------------------Suzuki
--------- Petry--------

With unit 1 playing almost all the time on the PP.

Drouin can carry the puck in and be the main distributor, the A1 option should be the Caufield one-timer, however they can break this down by bumping the puck in the bumper for Dvorak, or Caufield can draw the coverage over and pop it back to Hoffman who can sneak in for a one timer on the opposite side.

If a PK has to worry about 3 shooting threats, and 2 one-timers, they will have a hell of a time.
Perreault was doing great in front of the net for Winnipeg, why not try him... could not be worst than now?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Despite the 0-3 start, Habs have only given up 4 5-on-5 goals in 3GP - it’s the 5-goals on PK that’s been the issue.

That Dvorak line would be a 5-on-5 disaster
That's the line that would be insulated the most with zone starts and matchups. My thought is that the team is more likely to get wins from scoring than defending. The team is so different, and for the short term, you need to lean on what you have.

Interesting point though about the goals against, we'll see if that holds...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, this is what I would do because it maximizes the strength of all the players we have.

----------Dvorak---------
Caufield-------------------Drouin
---------Niku-----Hoffman----

----------Armia----Toffoli-----
Caufield-------------------Suzuki
--------- Petry--------

With unit 1 playing almost all the time on the PP.

Drouin can carry the puck in and be the main distributor, the A1 option should be the Caufield one-timer, however they can break this down by bumping the puck in the bumper for Dvorak, or Caufield can draw the coverage over and pop it back to Hoffman who can sneak in for a one timer on the opposite side.

If a PK has to worry about 3 shooting threats, and 2 one-timers, they will have a hell of a time.

Suzuki should be on that 1st unit. I prefer Suzuki to Drouin.

Other than that, that's exactly how I have it - If Cole can't go the full two minutes, I'd sub in Evans for the end of the PP. We need a right shot on the left half wall, and he's got better vision than Gallagher, Anderson, and any other remaining candidates.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What do people think about Savard after 3 games with the Habs? As good as what Chiarot/Edmundson brought or worse?
Doesn't make sense to pass a definitive judgement based on 3 games, just as it didn't with Chiarot and Edmundson.

Savard's on the slow side, but sound positionally. Strong in battles. Seems like he's got a good head for the game. Tries to make small, smart plays to supporting forwards, which should increase in effectiveness once he has settled in. Jumps into offensive plays despite his lack of speed and it has not cost us thus far. Seems like he knows when to pick his moments.

Seems like he could be a solid complementary defender next to a more mobile and more all-round D. Not really his fault that the best we can come up with is Chiarot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ducharme saying that Evans might not play tomorrow. So I imagine Brooks will play. And if Hoffman is good to go, then I expect Brooks to be 3C between Hoffman and Gallagher like he was during practice.

If Evans is ready to go, will be interesting to see if Lehkonen or Perreault is a healthy scratch, and if Brooks is in for Paquette (finally).

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
I expect another boring, low scoring loss or lucky win. I was about ready to check out of watching before the playoff run last year, a couple more games like the past 3 and I think that will be it for this season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I expect another boring, low scoring loss or lucky win. I was about ready to check out of watching before the playoff run last year, a couple more games like the past 3 and I think that will be it for this season.

We're going to have to be a scrappy team and stay healthy.

While I think the best result of the season would be a top 5 lottery pick, I'll be rooting for health and the team getting it together to be a sharp team that competes in spite of a lack of talent.

Reactions: OnceWasNot

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Everyone’s been saying it from the beginning: Romanov - Savard makes too much sense
It does make sense stylistically, but that's just theory. Romanov would have to be able to handle the matchups Savard is being relied on to handle. Or, alternatively, if we had two better pairings and Romanov - Savard could be used in sheltered minutes.

So far, the kid looks closer to someone that has been rushed into the NHL with no defined role and partner.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If we go 0-5 there will be a firing.

200.gif

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I love Caufield but it seems like he's looking to pass more than shoot on the PP and he hasn't gotten off his shot properly in so long. I believe the last time was when he was in a terrible angle but it was still a threat. That could be due to the terrible PP formation, but with Hoffman, I don't think that will be an issue.
How many cross-ice passes to set up Caufield's shot do you recall?

Reactions: Canadienna

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Suzuki should be on that 1st unit. I prefer Suzuki to Drouin.

Other than that, that's exactly how I have it - If Cole can't go the full two minutes, I'd sub in Evans for the end of the PP. We need a right shot on the left half wall, and he's got better vision than Gallagher, Anderson, and any other remaining candidates.

I prefer Suzuki to Drouin too but I'm giving Drouin props for his play so far and the one time he played on a unit with Caufield they generated 3 scoring chances.

Reactions: 26Mats

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I think you need to put Hoffman with Caufield on the PP. That way you always got one sniper open for that shot. Habs since who knows how long have always had the one be THE shot and once teams shadow that guy the PP is a train wreck.

I go:

Caufield-Suzuki-Hoffman
Drouin-Petry

Armia-Dvorak-Anderson
Toffoli-Wideman

Also, if they don’t score one or win in the next 2 games, sh**s gonna hit the fan lol

Agreed. Double threat to keep the PKers honest. It's like Tampa with Kuche and Stamkos. Load up that PP with 5 forwards with Suzuki at the Petry position to distribute. He can even get his wrister off if both 22 and 68 are covered.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I prefer Suzuki to Drouin too but I'm giving Drouin props for his play so far and the one time he played on a unit with Caufield they generated 3 scoring chances.

Also, I still believe in having a left shot on the right halfwall and a right shot on the right half wall, so they're always options of one timers, and thus keep the defense honest, in spite of some nice snipes by Suzuki on the right side last year.

So, I might have Drouin(left shot) and Caufield (right shot) on the half wall on one unit and Hoffman (left shot) and Suzuki (right shot) on the other. Petry should be on the unit with Drouin, since Drouin is more of a QB and Wideman/Niku with Suzuki.

Having said that, Drouin-Suzuki (with Petry at the point) and Hoffman-Caufield (with Wideman at the point) would also be interesting tandems.

A lot of possibilities. Let's hope Burrows can find the right combos.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I am happy with the Romanov-Petry pairing. I am also happy they tried Armia-Suzuki-Caufield last game. I thought it was an improvement. With Hoffman back, they weren't going to put him or Toffoli on the 4th, so it is what it is. Let's Go Habs! Time to get back on track.

It is also interesting to see the top 4 teams from the playoffs all having slow starts. NYI are winless like us. Tampa has 2 wins, but have let in 13 goals in three games. Vegas looking meh as well. It is possible the shortened offseason has taken a toll.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
So, they've taken Caufield and their soon to be $7,85M center off the 1st PP unit, because Suzuki is bad at faceoffs. Apparently they can't just load up one unit and play Dvorak and Suzuki together. The principle of depth must reign supreme in every situation I guess. I will take the high road and assume it's not because such a move would expose some redundant players on the other unit.

Also, Dvorak was a killer in the bumper spot in Arizona. Nice to see we are not deploying him in this role.

Surely, they are just trolling at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad