Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs. Sharks (Tomorrow @ 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Brooks with Lekhonen and Armia makes no sense to me so I think it's either that 3rd line or he's a healthy scratch again.

Ducharme saying that Evans might not play tomorrow. So I imagine Brooks will play. And if Hoffman is good to go, then I expect Brooks to be 3C between Hoffman and Gallagher like he was during practice.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ducharme saying that Evans might not play tomorrow. So I imagine Brooks will play. And if Hoffman is good to go, then I expect Brooks to be 3C between Hoffman and Gallagher like he was during practice.
Have to think they would have waited until Hoffman is 100% if we weren't 0-3 with 3 goals scored.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Oof I always worry about him now.
Who plays more games over the next 3 years, Price or Evans?

Reactions: dinodebino

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I love Caufield but it seems like he's looking to pass more than shoot on the PP and he hasn't gotten off his shot properly in so long. I believe the last time was when he was in a terrible angle but it was still a threat. That could be due to the terrible PP formation, but with Hoffman, I don't think that will be an issue.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I love Caufield but it seems like he's looking to pass more than shoot on the PP and he hasn't gotten off his shot properly in so long. I believe the last time was when he was in a terrible angle but it was still a threat. That could be due to the terrible PP formation, but with Hoffman, I don't think that will be an issue.
Look at other teams PPs when they want to exploit a player with a good shot.

They’ll work it on one side of the ice, heavy overload, until they make a quick pass over to the isolated player.

Now the 4PKs are de-stabilized and the goalie is moving east/west.

The Habs don’t try to force overloads and don’t have anyone whose capable of manipulating the PK box by making the right pass at the right time.

None of this even addresses their inability to win the PP faceoff or set up in the zone.

Reactions: Archijerej

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Hopefully Burrows gonna take his head out of his butt and manage the PP properly by giving proper roles to Caufield and Hoffman.
Petry can't distribute the puck to Caufield. He has to turn and make sure everyone knows where he wants to pass for at least a second before actually passing.
Watch him next time. You'll notice that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They have to stop putting Petry on the PP. He's a terrible QB. That'll never happen though.

I like Drouin and Petry together though, given the personnel we have to choose from. Drouin is more the QB and Petry the shooter... But to me that's the 2nd unit. The first unit should be any unit Suzuki and Caufield are on.

I would go;

PP1
Dvorak
Caufield Hoffman Suzuki
Wideman

PP2
Gallagher/Anderson/Armia
Evans Toffoli Drouin
Petry

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, this is what I would do because it maximizes the strength of all the players we have.

-------------Net-------------
----------Dvorak---------
Caufield-------------------Drouin
---------Niku-----Hoffman----

-------------Net-------------
----------Armia----Toffoli-----
Caufield-------------------Suzuki
--------- Petry--------

With unit 1 playing almost all the time on the PP.

Drouin can carry the puck in and be the main distributor, the A1 option should be the Caufield one-timer, however they can break this down by bumping the puck in the bumper for Dvorak, or Caufield can draw the coverage over and pop it back to Hoffman who can sneak in for a one timer on the opposite side.

If a PK has to worry about 3 shooting threats, and 2 one-timers, they will have a hell of a time.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
-Toffoli needs to be placed on the third line, not as punishment, but to up the quality of the attack on that line and possibly sneak Toffoli against weaker competition. Gallagher creates the kind of chaos that Toffoli loves to finish on. Lots of tips, broken plays, rebounds. Plus Evans and Gallagher help with Toffoli's speed.

-Caufield and Suzuki also don't need to be a thing. I think Drouin-Suzuki is the duo that should be embraced more. Caufield is dynamic and can play with anyone, Drouin is a player who we need to give him the right situation. Load up that second line in addition to the Toffoli drop and suddenly we have a balanced attack that can spread the opponent. As we know, that's the only way our roster can have a potent offense.

-I have no idea what to do about the D, other than split Chiarot/Savard.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Hoffman-Dvorak-Caufield
Toffoli-Evans-Gallagher

Reactions: Prairie Habs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
-Toffoli needs to be placed on the third line, not as punishment, but to up the quality of the attack on that line and possibly sneak Toffoli against weaker competition. Gallagher creates the kind of chaos that Toffoli loves to finish on. Lots of tips, broken plays, rebounds. Plus Evans and Gallagher help with Toffoli's speed.

-Caufield and Suzuki also don't need to be a thing. I think Drouin-Suzuki is the duo that should be embraced more. Caufield is dynamic and can play with anyone, Drouin is a player who we need to give him the right situation. Load up that second line in addition to the Toffoli drop and suddenly we have a balanced attack that can spread the opponent. As we know, that's the only way our roster can have a potent offense.

-I have no idea what to do about the D, other than split Chiarot/Savard.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Hoffman-Dvorak-Caufield
Toffoli-Evans-Gallagher
Despite the 0-3 start, Habs have only given up 4 5-on-5 goals in 3GP - it’s the 5-goals on PK that’s been the issue.

That Dvorak line would be a 5-on-5 disaster

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Look at other teams PPs when they want to exploit a player with a good shot.

They’ll work it on one side of the ice, heavy overload, until they make a quick pass over to the isolated player.

Now the 4PKs are de-stabilized and the goalie is moving east/west.

The Habs don’t try to force overloads and don’t have anyone whose capable of manipulating the PK box by making the right pass at the right time.

None of this even addresses their inability to win the PP faceoff or set up in the zone.
He seems to fall down when shooting the puck from a prime area or fumble it a lot.

I believe it was last game where he was on a breakaway and just completely lost control of the puck.

Anyways, I'm not here to shit on Caufield because he's great and has done way more good than bad, but I have noticed this for a while now. He can be a lot better.
The PP sucks ass and they aren't setting him up properly, I mean look at this...:

However, I think it's a little frustrating how he fumbles it or falls down at times. Maybe it's just my expectations, but I think he can be a lot better with that to be an even better goalscorer.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think Toffoli and Dvorak on the same PP would work. They both play in the same area. Anderson is better than Gallagher on the PP, but ideally, neither of them are on it.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

He isn't in a position for a one-timer on our current PP formation. He's stuck getting delayed passes and then battling on the boards when he actually has the puck. it is ridiculous. Caufield should be where Suzuki currently is, and Hoffman where Caufield is.

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
I think you need to put Hoffman with Caufield on the PP. That way you always got one sniper open for that shot. Habs since who knows how long have always had the one be THE shot and once teams shadow that guy the PP is a train wreck.

I go:

Caufield-Suzuki-Hoffman
Drouin-Petry

Armia-Dvorak-Anderson
Toffoli-Wideman

Also, if they don’t score one or win in the next 2 games, sh**s gonna hit the fan lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Caufield-Toffoli-Suzuki
Niku-Hoffman

Armia-Dvorak-Andreson
Drouin-Petry

Those would be my PP lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events