Pre-Game Talk: Habs Vs. Pens Game 1 Sometimes Summer of 2020 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I, and many others, will assign no weight to the cup that is won this year.

You can be happy if we won it, I don't want to win it. Being a fan all of my life, this is not the pay-off I would want to see my team win the cup.

Pushed in for monetary reasons, no games played for months, gimmick entrance.. it's not even the same season, this is just a random tournament as a placeholder Stanley Cup.

I assign no worth to it. I don't want it.

That's a valid and reasonable opinion. Personally, I assign equal value to this playoff as any other, and I want to win it. Also a valid and reasonable opinion.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's a valid and reasonable opinion. Personally, I assign equal value to this playoff as any other, and I want to win it. Also a valid and reasonable opinion.

Exactly. I accept your opinion but it isn't true for me.

I hope we lose and get to win in the imminent future, so there's no division among us and we can all celebrate a win that we all assign equal weight to.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I really don't get why people are upset about this. It's still going to be just as grueling a tournament as any other year to win the cup. Some small differences with this rest period and then the extra round for lower seeds but at the end whoever is lifting that cup will have earned it just as much as any other champion.

Lol dude, we're not upset.

We don't care for it, there's a huge difference

Why do you need spin this?

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
In 1936, the Habs made the playoffs with a ,427 winning percentage. That year, to win the cup, you would have needed to win 3 playoffs series. I fail to see how their ,500 winning percentage + 5 series wins would not deserve to be considered as a legit win.

I totally get that they should not be in... But this is gonna be a gauntlet trying to reach the finals.

I DO hope they lose and pick 8 (or top 3), but if they end up winning, to me it'll be totally deserved. Just like Subban's Norris should not carry less weight. You play by the rules. If you win, you win.

EDIT: Heck, the 1934 Blackhawks won the cup after winning 20 of 48 games in the season. The 1938 Blackhawks won 14 of their 48 games.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
In 1936, the Habs made the playoffs with a ,427 winning percentage. That year, to win the cup, you would have needed to win 3 playoffs series. I fail to see how their ,500 winning percentage + 5 series wins would not deserve to be considered as a legit win.

I totally get that they should not be in... But this is gonna be a gauntlet trying to reach the finals.

I DO hope they lose and pick 8 (or top 3), but if they end up winning, to me it'll be totally deserved. Just like Subban's Norris should not carry less weight. You play by the rules. If you win, you win.

They didn’t have OT back then. If that was the case now the Habs would have finished 19-31-21 this year. That would be good for a .415 winning percentage.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Lol dude, we're not upset.

We don't care for it, there's a huge difference

Why do you need spin this?

Choose whatever word you want to describe your feels but however you do from my perspective it's very strange to see people denouncing the Cup tourney happening because of objections with the format or something when in the grand scheme of things they are pretty minor and fairly reasonable with respect to fairness considerations in mind because of the way the reg season was abruptly halted.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
They didn’t have OT back then. If that was the case now the Habs would have finished 19-31-21 this year. That would be good for a .415 winning percentage.

Even then. 1938 Hawks won 14 of 48. Worst team in the league had 12. They just happened to get hot at the right time (playoffs) and win 8 of 10 to grab the Cup.

My point is that you play by whatever rules are in place. If 14 wins out of 48 get you in the playoffs, then you are deserving of what happens next. In the Habs' case, that ,415 win percentage is just enough for them to be in the playoffs.What happens next is fair game.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Monsieur Bergevin , showing us his Big Fat Stanley Cup Ring with a big smile ,
Molson extending his GM and Julien for another 5 seasons
Danault getting a 8M$ x 8 seasons contract because our first centre brings back the Cup to Montreal and won the Selke
Price, best goalie on the planet showing His Vezina and his
Weber , the Mountain Man finally wins the Norris, the Marc Messier and gets his Cup Rings
Drouin scoring 10 goals during the Stanley Cup run and getting the Conn Smythe
Hudon scoring the winning cup goal

So much to love in this finals !

:wave::wave::wave::tinker:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Maybe that's the difference. Some people follow a sport franchise to 'cheer' for them regardless what's on the ice. Support no matter what. Others enjoy the grind of wanting them to win a championship and more critical/not satisfied when straying away from that vision.

Personally don't see the point of wanting people to people to follow a sports franchise only their way. Everyone is different.

Very well said but just a word of advice, this is not a hill worth dying on, give up while you're ahead lol.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Cant wait for Price to keep us in every game until the very end but still lose 2-0 because we can't score :help:
We wont be able to obstruct them, this is the covid cup, players will get two minutes in the box for looking at someone with a scowl lol. Can't you just picture the field day that Crosby and Malkin will have with basically free reign? It won't be good for us. I can see the Pens lighting it up(not that I will be watching lol).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You two both are painful to listen to on this subject. God. I'm sorry for trying to enjoy my team being the playoffs, fun-police.

Did I say you couldn't enjoy it?

I mean, brace yourself, because this cup will forever have a big fat asterix in many people's hearts and minds.

But you can enjoy it as much as you like. Just face the reality of it, don't pin this on us.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Did I say you couldn't enjoy it?

I mean, prepare yourself, because this cup will forever have a big fat asterix in many people's hearts and minds.

But you can enjoy it as much as you like. Just face the reality of it, don't pin this on us.

Especially if Montreal or Chicago did win it, I mean that's further evidence its a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad