Pre-Game Talk: Habs Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Habs would be blocked for games on Sportsnet and TSN... I guess you'd be able to watch if the game is streamed from RDS.

****, there are a lot of Habs games on tsn this year. Not worth it to get the game centre when half the games would be blacked out

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Stuff about how it's time for him to reach the next step. Trying to force feed the wing to him. Just the context its said in, makes it sounds like Eller thus far has been a disappointement. i could be wrong and overreacting, I hope I am.

Oh well. I'd love to see how effective this team will be defensively if they trade those two away without getting some real studs back. Pleks' head might explode.

Myron Gaines*

Oh well. I'd love to see how effective this team will be defensively if they trade those two away without getting some real studs back. Pleks' head might explode.

I'd be damned if they trade Eller before giving him a fair chance of playing with top 6 players.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
****, there are a lot of Habs games on tsn this year. Not worth it to get the game centre when half the games would be blacked out

Might want to try hockey streams. Not sure what the price would be, but i think every NHL game would be HD.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Might want to try hockey streams. Not sure what the price would be, but i think every NHL game would be HD.

Will it be guarenteed that every habs game will be available? I don't want to pay and not get access to what I want.

PaulQ

Apr 9, 2010
Kostitsyn played with Plekanec for long stretches, he wasn't always a 3rd liner.

Check his game log from 2010-2011, he had something like 6 goals in 9 games to start the season, then look after that.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/2568/year/2011/andrei-kostitsyn

You can also see long droughts in 2012 and many people unlike yourself remember those droughts.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/2568/andrei-kostitsyn

When he was demoted it wasn't only because he was in a scoring drought, it's because he completely disappeared. Kostitsyn was way too far inconsistent, not only in his production, which is not a big problem for a 3rd liner, but in his implication in the game.

I couldn't care less about his projected numbers, most of the time, the situation called for him being demoted, he had to be held accountable for his poor play.

We are talking about him playing on a 3rd line with Eller and Moen... why are you pulling numbers from when he played with Pleks!? And last season was 2011-2012 not 2010-2011... You are all over the place man..

Myron Gaines*

We are talking about him playing on a 3rd line with Eller and Moen... why are you pulling numbers from when he played with Pleks!? And last season was 2011-2012 not 2010-2011... You are all over the place man..

You're clueless.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Will it be guarenteed that every habs game will be available? I don't want to pay and not get access to what I want.

Every Habs game and in HD, I think. I just think they'll be putting anglo streams instead of RDS streams when they can, which annoys me a bit, but whatever. They're pretty responsive in answering any questions you might have, if you still have any.

PaulQ

Apr 9, 2010
You're clueless.

lol... when all else fell, go with the insult... The person that says that eller-moen-ak didn't work well IS clueless and you then tried to prove your point by pulling up all types of stats that were irrelevant to what we were debating... :help:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Every Habs game and in HD, I think. I just think they'll be putting anglo streams instead of RDS streams when they can, which annoys me a bit, but whatever. They're pretty responsive in answering any questions you might have, if you still have any.

Thanks Ovi. The prices on the site are more than reasonable. I appreciate it.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Stuff about how it's time for him to reach the next step. Trying to force feed the wing to him. Just the context its said in, makes it sounds like Eller thus far has been a disappointement. i could be wrong and overreacting, I hope I am.

Last I heard Eller has been playing center between Gionta and Galchenyuk. In any case, it's day 2 of camp - Therrien has a right to try experiment with the lineup.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Kostitsyn played with Plekanec for long stretches, he wasn't always a 3rd liner.

Check his game log from 2010-2011, he had something like 6 goals in 9 games to start the season, then look after that.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/2568/year/2011/andrei-kostitsyn

You can also see long droughts in 2012 and many people unlike yourself remember those droughts.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/2568/andrei-kostitsyn

When he was demoted it wasn't only because he was in a scoring drought, it's because he completely disappeared. Kostitsyn was way too far inconsistent, not only in his production, which is not a big problem for a 3rd liner, but in his implication in the game.

I couldn't care less about his projected numbers, most of the time, the situation called for him being demoted, he had to be held accountable for his poor play.

The mathematics of being a half a point per game player is necessarily going to produce noticeable hot and cold streaks. They score often enough to get more than a few multipoint games, which also means they are going to score points in under half the games played. So you're going to see clusters in scoring across the 82 game schedule that really don't mean anything except random chance.

Compare Kostitsyn's hot and cold streaks to players who score at a similar rate. You'll find that they pretty much all look like they came to play for short stretches and then disappear. Its not psychology, its math. A random distribution does not look like a uniform distribution especially around .5 points per game.

Players who score more like 1.0 PPG look more consistent because they are unlikely to not score in a game while players who are more like .25 also look more uniform because they are unlikely to have multiple point games to cluster around.

Look at the comparable you used in Colby Armstrong when he was about .5 PPG in 08-09. Same kind of streaks of futility punctuated with hot streaks.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/1551/year/2009/colby-armstrong

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I did. What I see

TEAM NAME: REGIONAL NETWORK:
Montréal Canadiens SNET-E; TSN-HABS
Ottawa Senators SNET-E; SNET-OTT
Toronto Maple Leafs LEAFS TV; SNET-O

Does that mean I can't watch habs games?

So if I live in Southern Ontario, it wouldn't block out games shown on RDS?

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Last I heard Eller has been playing center between Gionta and Galchenyuk. In any case, it's day 2 of camp - Therrien has a right to try experiment with the lineup.

Yeah, I was at the practice, and Eller was playing centre between Gionta & Galchenyuk. However, Plekanec still isn't practicing with the team, so in all likelihood, Eller will get bumped down to the 3rd line.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Thanks Ovi. The prices on the site are more than reasonable. I appreciate it.

My pleasure.

I usually hate looking like I'm pushing a service or product on someone. But the way I see it, it's a superior service when compared to the NHL's gamecenter (or wtv it's called) AND you end up paying nothing to the NHL. After a lockout, pretty easy decision for me.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
My pleasure.

I usually hate looking like I'm pushing a service or product on someone. But the way I see it, it's a superior service when compared to the NHL's gamecenter (or wtv it's called) AND you end up paying nothing to the NHL. After a lockout, pretty easy decision for me.

At this point, as long as I get to watch Habs games, I'm happy, but you're right, the nhl doens't deserve our money for this season.

Myron Gaines*

lol... when all else fell, go with the insult... The person that says that eller-moen-ak didn't work well IS clueless and you then tried to prove your point by pulling up all types of stats that were irrelevant to what we were debating... :help:

You didn't even read my post or even clicked on the links. So yeah, you're clueless.

You're the one talking about stats, which I don't know where you get. Kostitsyn was invisible when he didn't score, that's just the kind of player he is. That's why Nashville didn't even bother to re-sign him, despite not having much offense. I sent you those links cause you referred to Kostitsyn having 12 goals in 41 games (where does that come from?) while forgetting that it was on a pretty inconsistent level. Anyone would take a 20 goal scoring 3rd line winger right? Then how come Kostitsyn is not in the NHL?

He's not a 20 goal scoring 3rd liner, he's a one dimensional player who's constantly demoted because he doesn't contribute with anything else besides shooting the puck and scoring goals, when he gets hot. What's so hard to understand?

I never said Moen Eller and Kostitsyn never worked, I'm saying that Kostitsyn wasn't consistent enough to remain on that line permanently. Sad to see his 15-20 goals a year go, but happy that we're moving on from a player who gets going every 8 to 10 games or so.

Myron Gaines*

As a fan who watch all Habs game i was never satified with AK after his 2007-2008 season.

Same here, he was a completely different player that year. Not necessarily because of his production, but he was way less erroneous.

The years after that one he always seemed to fan on a shot, miss a pass, less confidence with the puck. He did improve defensively tho'.

Myron Gaines*

The mathematics of being a half a point per game player is necessarily going to produce noticeable hot and cold streaks. They score often enough to get more than a few multipoint games, which also means they are going to score points in under half the games played. So you're going to see clusters in scoring across the 82 game schedule that really don't mean anything except random chance.

Compare Kostitsyn's hot and cold streaks to players who score at a similar rate. You'll find that they pretty much all look like they came to play for short stretches and then disappear. Its not psychology, its math. A random distribution does not look like a uniform distribution especially around .5 points per game.

Players who score more like 1.0 PPG look more consistent because they are unlikely to not score in a game while players who are more like .25 also look more uniform because they are unlikely to have multiple point games to cluster around.

Look at the comparable you used in Colby Armstrong when he was about .5 PPG in 08-09. Same kind of streaks of futility punctuated with hot streaks.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/1551/year/2009/colby-armstrong

I was gonna bring up the comparison with Armstrong because what I'm trying to say is that despite Armstrong being such a streaky player, and even a bit less productive than Kostitsyn on the scoring department, he's not a player who has question marks on his character and his effort level.

When healthy, Armstrong is your classic 3rd liner, plays a gritty game on a constant level, so when he doesn't score, he doesn't completely disappear. He still contributes with something.

Well, let's hope we do get a healthy Colby Armstrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad