Habs to end 112 year streak as tonights lineup doesn't feature a player from Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Very good. Not a star.

Maybe Letang.

To me a star is players like McDavid, MacKinnon, Hedman, and Vasy.

Obviously he's not in that grouping.

Different definitions I guess.

Franchise players: McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Hedman, and prime Ovi/Crosby.

Stars: Huberdeau, Barkov, Marner, and Pettersson.

Franchise players: LBJ, Jordan, Kareem, and Magic.

Stars: Durant, Shaq, and Kobe.

NFL is tougher.

L.T., Brown, Rice, Montana, and Brady were/are transcendent players. I won't put Mahomes here yet because it'll cause an uproar. But he's close to this list.

Baseball's transcendent players: Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, and Bonds.

This is so confusing... you say the Huberdeau isn't a star and you argue your point, but then list him as an example of a star player when ranking different levels of elite players? If your entire point is just to say that these guys aren't comparatively as "great" as others stars in other sports... well that's a different conversation and one that I won't get into.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Odd that "French" players listed are all Canadians. The only French player I'm aware of in the league right now is Roussel.
Being French doesn't necessarily mean you're from France. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Reactions: Kimota

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
why? it's an interesting thing I wasn't aware of

112 years is a long time
It IS interesting and a good conversation could be had but you always have posters that... let me put this politely, won't discuss in good faith (French bashing basically). At least one post has been removed so far for this very reason. Either the Mods are doing a good job at keeping those posters in check or maybe we have a more mature crowd posting today.

Reactions: ricky0034

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
What's the streak at for managerial or coaching positions? Feels like as long as I've been alive they've just been rotating through whatever French coaches are available.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The fact that the Habs put so much emphasis on french players and brass is a big reason why they've been stuck in the land of mediocrity for 30 years.

Can't wait till they hire their new coach. Which of the 5 french speaking coaches will it be?

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
It's an impressive streak, I'm surprised!

Also, some French bashing but not as much as I thought, I'm surprised!

Drouin and Danault are kind of key players for the team, so happened they are not available... Bad luck I guess!

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
do oilers fans every stop crying about the officiating? let's discuss how edm forward injured Price and he's still not back.
imagine if it was Smith?
the oilers tears would be epic
With a puck to the head? If he got injured otherwise, he should could possibly take more minerals

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Absolutely horrible. As a French Canadian and lover of history and tradition, I feel sick to my stomach hearing this news.

I respect Bergevin for trying to land a French Canadian superstar when he traded for Drouin. It was a big gamble and it was worth it regardless of the outcome. But now they have to draft more French Canadians as this can't go on.

Last edited:

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
As long as they keep hiring/drafting based on language, they will be stuck in mediocrity.

Yeah, they've been drafting nothing but Frenchies!
oe4IQis

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Didn’t realize this was a record. Seems significant and kind of sad that a 112 year old record is thrown away in pretty much a meaningless game.

Could see the record being important though. It’s a part of Quebec culture and should be celebrated. They shoulda dressed Ducharme for a couple minutes.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Pro-gress
It's funny that you call this progress. In the SHL, the trend for the last 10 years has been to have as much locally raised players as possible and players that's been through the teams U16, U18 and U20 teams. Hockey mercenaries are less and less welcome unless it's a star player. My own hometown team has two goals at the start of every season: That the representation team is 50% homegrown players and that we win the championship.

Reactions: Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad